PDA

View Full Version : Minimum needed for contact printing

Roboflick
3-Nov-2010, 06:11
I have a bathroom that I can make light tight. What is the minimum equipment I need to contact print a 4 by 5 negative? I don't have any darkroom equipment now.

Thanks
Nik

Roboflick
3-Nov-2010, 06:14
I've been reading Ansel Adams "The Print". Any other good references for printing. I would be happy if I could get everything needed for this in one go if anyone has equipment that they want to sell that is complete. Please send me a pm

Thanks nik

jnantz
3-Nov-2010, 06:15
you can use tupperware type trays for your chemistry
and a "clamp lamp" for your bulb

Pawlowski6132
3-Nov-2010, 06:23
Light source, glass, paper.

Then all the regular stuff to develop the print.

bsimison
3-Nov-2010, 07:01
When I did my first 4x5 contact print, I used one those metal single-bulb clamp lights you can get at the hardware store and a tiny 15 watt bulb. It was clamped about 2 feet above an 8x10 piece of glass I salvaged from a picture frame, hinge taped it to a piece of foam core board.

Brian Ellis
3-Nov-2010, 07:19
In addition to something to hold the paper flat and in position (e.g. a printing frame or two sheets of glass) you need a light bulb that illuminates the paper evenly corner to corner. Use a spot meter or the meter built into a camera set on spot mode to check this. You also need some sort of timer with a second hand that you can see in dim light or hear in the dark. I used a digital metronome purchased at a music supply store for about $10 but there are lots of other things found in most households. A safe-light isn't quite a necessity, it's possible to do everything in the dark by feel, but most people use a safe-light. And trays, tongs, chemistry, a method to wash and dry the prints. That's about it, contact printing is as simple as it gets in terms of equipment.

Roboflick
3-Nov-2010, 09:10
Thank you for these prompt and helpful replies!

Nik

Roboflick
3-Nov-2010, 09:12
Any other references besides "the Print" that are helpful?
Nik

ANy recommendations for paper and chemistry for getting started?

Thanks
Nik

Bruce Barlow
3-Nov-2010, 09:55
If you really feel like a beginner, get some Arista RC paper, some Dektol, and Sprint Rapid Fix. Good enough to get the hang of it all. I use these for proofing any and all formats. You can graduate to better (read: more expensive) papers later. Dektol is plenty good, and a price-performer. Sprint Rapid Fix gives fiber paper an archival fix in 30 seconds when used at film strength (1:4).

This will get you going. You can explore the wild and wooly world of papers and developers later.

Roboflick
3-Nov-2010, 14:36
If you really feel like a beginner, get some Arista RC paper, some Dektol, and Sprint Rapid Fix. Good enough to get the hang of it all. I use these for proofing any and all formats. You can graduate to better (read: more expensive) papers later. Dektol is plenty good, and a price-performer. Sprint Rapid Fix gives fiber paper an archival fix in 30 seconds when used at film strength (1:4).

This will get you going. You can explore the wild and wooly world of papers and developers later.

Thank you!
Nik

John Bowen
4-Nov-2010, 16:52
Another wonderful resource is the Azo Forum @

www.michaelandpaula.com It is a wealth of information. As you gain experience you will find this forum priceless.

Have Fun and welcome to the club

paulr
4-Nov-2010, 17:00
You should be able to pick up the usual paraphenalia (trays, timers safelight, etc.) for a song on ebay or craigslist. So many people are unloading their darkrooms.

The one thing I go crazy without is decent work space. If you don't have counterspace in the bathroom, it might be worth trying to improvise a counter by putting something flat over the sink or tub.

DougD
9-Nov-2010, 11:36
I highly recommend Henry Horenstein's books Basic Black and White and Beyond Basic Black and White. Great books, written in an engaging style and a fairly good discussion of the process mechanics.