PDA

View Full Version : Durst 8x10 Labador

Pawlowski6132
2-Nov-2010, 16:54
So, I made a deal to get one of these. But, I can't find any info on them. Is that a bad sign?

Anywho, I've been pretty content just contact printing my 8x10 but, this deal came along and I feel like I should take advantage of it. From pix, it seems to be in excellent shape with everyting included (neg carriers, extra bulbs, base, condensers, etc.)

Any thoughts? Go for it? Run in the opposite direction?

jeroldharter
2-Nov-2010, 16:57
I don't know anything first hand about Durst except for a fine reputation. Have you seen the enlarger? Some of these are monstrous and might not fit in your building. I think ic-racer rebuilt an 8x10 Durst and it looks fabulous. I'm sure others will chime in with positive comments.

Pawlowski6132
2-Nov-2010, 17:03
I couldn't tell by the photo's but I have my fingers crossed that I could squeeze this into my bathroom. No??

dentkimterry
2-Nov-2010, 17:20
There is a lot of information here:
http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/imagine_2009.htm

Terry

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2010, 17:39
A Durst Laborator? I think the Durst Labador is a real dog.

I couldn't tell by the photo's but I have my fingers crossed that I could squeeze this into my bathroom. No??

Joke right? Or do you have a big loft?

Imagine a Alfa Romeo standing vertically on its trunk. Now strip off the body panels and interior trim. It's about that size.

dsphotog
2-Nov-2010, 17:46
I just bumped the thread you need.

Pawlowski6132
2-Nov-2010, 17:57
A Durst Laborator? I think the Durst Labador is a real dog.

Joke right? Or do you have a big loft?

Imagine a Alfa Romeo standing vertically on its trunk. Now strip off the body panels and interior trim. It's about that size.

:p

Pawlowski6132
2-Nov-2010, 18:01
I just bumped the thread you need.

Thanx, looks like a good read. Boy is that thing a beeeeaut.

The one I'm getting looks a lot older.

quine
2-Nov-2010, 18:39
Congrats on your purchase -- no need to run, these are superb machines.

Just make sure you get the condensers, negative carriers, and lens boards for all the formats that you care about. These can be difficult (and expensive) to obtain individually.

Cheers,

-andrew

ic-racer
2-Nov-2010, 18:54

And its Italian made!

In fact, mine has 4 wheels also!

ic-racer
2-Nov-2010, 19:14
So, did you actually get it? If not you should. It WILL fit in a bathroom (as long as you remove the sink, shower, tub etc and knock a hole in the roof :).

Here is the owner's manual: http://manuelsphoto.free.fr/durstl184.pdf

Pawlowski6132
2-Nov-2010, 19:47
So, did you actually get it? If not you should. It WILL fit in a bathroom (as long as you remove the sink, shower, tub etc and knock a hole in the roof :).

Here is the owner's manual: http://manuelsphoto.free.fr/durstl184.pdf

I don't have it in my possession. We just agreed to terms.

So, by looking at pix, you think it's a L184 huh?

thanx very much,

Joe

gary mulder
3-Nov-2010, 00:34
It's a L184 with a condenser head. Take care with the extra bulbs they are extremely hard to find !

ic-racer
3-Nov-2010, 12:35
Yes, as Gary pointed out L184.
The condenser head is very efficient (light output on easel per watt of bulb is good), but it can sometimes be a nightmare when using a glass negative carrier. 8x10 negatives are floppy enough that the 'usual' type of glassless carrier may not hold the negative flat. But these issueshave been around for years and there are many solutions out there.

The L184, being totally mechanical, will likely outlive us all.

ic-racer
3-Nov-2010, 12:40
Here are two L184s with the older style diffusion dichroic head. (CLS300 or CLS301)
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=532753&postcount=55

rknewcomb
3-Nov-2010, 13:03
If you look on page 4 of the instruction book, it tells you how it comes packed. This is the answer as how to move it as well - three or four manageable pieces. Also, take the condensers and neg carrier out and pack them carefully before moving anything else. Remove the easel. Then lay it on its back to separate the larger parts.
Speaking from experience here.
FWIW

jbrianfoto
23-Nov-2010, 11:14
Howdy All,

I have a pair of these beauties right now (my 2nd and 3rd L184's in all since 1999). The first one I have been restoring for a little over a year. Just picked up another just to the get spare parts (negative carriers, pinion gear#2 and D1414 coldlight head).

I love these enlargers, have been working on them off and on for the past 10 years. If you have any questions about tearing this apart, let me know. WIll be happy to share anything I know.

Pawlowski6132
24-Nov-2010, 18:53
Thanx for the heads up. Is there anything in particular I should ask the seller while I'm inspecting the unit? Anything I should look for?

Also, any advice about disassembly and loading/shipping?

Any advice about finding a lens and lens board?

Am I getting in over my head?

:o

Assuming everything is in tact and working (except the lens and lens board) what is a fair price?

thanx

Howdy All,

I have a pair of these beauties right now (my 2nd and 3rd L184's in all since 1999). The first one I have been restoring for a little over a year. Just picked up another just to the get spare parts (negative carriers, pinion gear#2 and D1414 coldlight head).

I love these enlargers, have been working on them off and on for the past 10 years. If you have any questions about tearing this apart, let me know. WIll be happy to share anything I know.

ic-racer
24-Nov-2010, 21:46

The lensboard VAPLA frequently shows up on e-bay

If you have enough height to go to the top then look for a 300mm lens. If you can't get the head all the way to the top because of a low ceiling, then look for a 240 or 250mm lens.

Price: anything goes.

ic-racer
24-Nov-2010, 21:48

The lensboard VAPLA frequently shows up on e-bay

If you have enough height to go to the top then look for a 300mm lens. If you can't get the head all the way to the top because of a low ceiling, then look for a 240 or 250mm lens.

Price: anything goes.

Since you probably already purchased an 8x10 camera, lenses, film-holders, etc, you are already committed, so the enlarger is just the next step. Besides, who wants to look at those tiny 8x10 contact prints :D

John Kasaian
24-Nov-2010, 22:43
A photograph who went digital tried to sell his Durst Labador but there were no takers. He couldn't even give it away. With the help of a friend they struggled to move the thing out into the alley so maybe the garbage truck would take it away. As soon as they got the Durst Labador into the alley, his friend's incredibly strong dog would bite it and pull it back into the building.
This happened twice before the photographer, exhuasted, asked his friend what the problem was with his dog.
His friend replied "Oh, didn't I warn you that he's a Labador retriever." :D

Drew Wiley
25-Nov-2010, 13:35
That's terrible, John. Sounds like the humor we used up the hill when I was growing up. But since I'm done peeling apples and taters for a moment ... When I was camping a couple weeks ago and a young racoon was skittering up and down the tree casing the BBQ on the tailgate grill after dark, one of my friends was trying to
restrain his black lab on its leash so the little coon could get down the tree, run
off, and stop the dog barking. When the little critter took its final leap down, the dog
lunged, and we heard a strong ripping sound. I grabbed my fluorescent lantern and
clicked it on ... the man's goosedown vest had ripped open, and the black lab was covered head to tail with white feathers, as it he had been tarred and feathered, or at least had an incredibly bad case of doggie dandruff. I was howling with laughter. Have a great holiday!

John Kasaian
26-Nov-2010, 00:27
That's terrible, John. Sounds like the humor we used up the hill when I was growing up. But since I'm done peeling apples and taters for a moment ... When I was camping a couple weeks ago and a young racoon was skittering up and down the tree casing the BBQ on the tailgate grill after dark, one of my friends was trying to
restrain his black lab on its leash so the little coon could get down the tree, run
off, and stop the dog barking. When the little critter took its final leap down, the dog
lunged, and we heard a strong ripping sound. I grabbed my fluorescent lantern and
clicked it on ... the man's goosedown vest had ripped open, and the black lab was covered head to tail with white feathers, as it he had been tarred and feathered, or at least had an incredibly bad case of doggie dandruff. I was howling with laughter. Have a great holiday!
ROFLMAO!
And a fine holiday to you as well!:)

jbrianfoto
27-Nov-2010, 15:42
Thanx for the heads up. Is there anything in particular I should ask the seller while I'm inspecting the unit? Anything I should look for?

Things to look for - Take a 19mm socket wrench with you. Turn the elevation wheel and make sure it smoothly raises and lowers the carrige all they way up and down. If it does not, the pinion gear #2 is probably broken. Those are $175 to replace (the metal ones are really solid, the only broken one I've ever seen was made out of nylon). The nylon type is the only one you can currently buy (as far as I've been able to find). If you want to see if the gear is indeed broken, use the 19mm socket to loosen the bolt located just below the base of the elevation arm tube - the tube will pull straight out - now you'll be able to see the pinion gear and inspect for damage. The camera assembly rides a lead-screw, so removing the arm tube will not cause the head to crash down.

Another thing to look for is weather or not the lens stage moves smoothly up and down on it's tracks. The gears can get worn or even break. Be careful to unlock the lens stage (knob on the back of the lens stage). It's easy to forget this and start cranking on the other knobs.

Also, any advice about disassembly and loading/shipping? Can't help you with the shipping part - but here is how I take mine apart;

Bring a rubber mallet, a 2 foot section of 2X4 and some Wd-40. A dolly is nict too, but not necessary.

Since the chrome tubes may have some rust or other grit on them, I always spray some WD-40 in where the top tubes enter the bottom section of the enlarger.It's good to do this first, so that the lube can soak in.

1) Get the head assembly off the enlarger (light assembly), remove the negative carrier, all condensors if there are any, filter trays, ect)

2) Loosen the two L-shaped screws that obviously attach the upper and lower sections together. There whould also be a black knob located on the right hand side (as you a re facing the enlarger) - unscrew this out as far as it will go.
Have someone help you to tip the enlager onto it's back, on the ground, placing the 2X4 on it's tall side underneith the junction between the top and the bottom halves of the enlarger.

3) Have your helper hold onto the base, you sit down and grab ahold of the very top of the enlarger chassis and begin to shake, tug and pull. Do not bang the very top of the enlarger against the floor (the coil spring in there can shatter it's fasteners and make a real mess out of the cast cover - ask me how I know). You have a 50/50 chance that the two halves will seperate with little to no effort. I have used a rubber mallet to bang on whatever solit parts I cna in an effort to coax it along. Once it starts to slip apart, you're home free. There is usually about 6 to 8 inches of tube inside the base.

4) After it's all apart, try not to pick up the enlarger by parts which may bend (duh). I usually have someone help me carry the upper "camera" section, just to be safe. Here is a good time to use the dolly if you like.

Am I getting in over my head?

Nope - These are great enlargers, as long as you can sell "it" to your Wife, these are well worth the effort. You'll never need another enlarger again.

:o

Assuming everything is in tact and working (except the lens and lens board) what is a fair price?

That's a tough one. In 2000 I paid $1100 for my first L184 from a camera store - it came with a T1212 cold light head, negative carrier/no inserts, a few lens boards and a wooden baseboard. My second one I picked up last year for $150 (off Craigslist) - had to drive 6 hours to get to it. It came with a NEGA 205, a vacuum easle, broken color head, all the negative inserts and a box full of lensboards and German lenses. This one also had a broken pinion gear. My third one I just got for $400 - it was here in town, came with 2 negative carriers, a D1414 cold light head, a TRIPLA lens board and an electric elevation motor. The cold light head was why I bought this (it is worth many times what I paid for everything, to me)

There has been a beat up L184 on the 'Bay for over a year that never sells - it is also in the middle of the desert. If this enlarger has a negative carrier and inserts, and is in solid shape (no broken parts, decen bellows) - I woul'd pay more than a few hundred bucks. If it has a good light source (one that you can live with) - add a few hundred more. But that's me. These enlargers are appealing only to a small few. When I moved from Arizona to Virginia, I couldn't bring my first one with me. Tried for weeks to sell it everywhere, no takers. Tried for 2 weeks to give it away, no takers. Finally stripped off the small parts I wanted to keep and hauled it to the dump! On the other hand, when you ARE looking for one of these, they are never around and the few that you can find online are priced too high for the normal user.

I hope this all helps. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

thanx

Pawlowski6132
28-Nov-2010, 18:50
jbrianfoto, thank you so much for the info. I will print this and take it with me.