PDA

View Full Version : Market price on Jobo

SeanEsopenko
1-Nov-2010, 12:15
What's a fair price on a Jobo system with 4x5 tanks and the first purchase of C41 chemicals? Nobody locally does C41 of 4x5 sheets so I thought I'd look into the startup cost to do it on my own.

davkt
1-Nov-2010, 13:15
Picked up a Jobo CPE for £50 (would have liked a CPE2 with bottle warming stuff but they seem to go for way more so CPE is next best and wil fin in my darkroom corner) with a tank for MF and a suitable tank complete with the necessary innards for 4x5 for another £20 on ebay in the UK in the last ccoule of weeks

SeanEsopenko
1-Nov-2010, 13:16
Picked up a Jobo CPE for £50 (would have liked a CPE2 with bottle warming stuff but they seem to go for way more so CPE is next best and wil fin in my darkroom corner) with a tank for MF and a suitable tank complete with the necessary innards for 4x5 for another £20 on ebay in the UK in the last ccoule of weeks

Does the CPE at least warm the processing tank?

Juergen Sattler
1-Nov-2010, 13:20
You should check out eBay completed auctions to get an idea. The price mentioned above is NOT the norm, but very much an exception. These processors are highly sought after and sell for a lot of money.

SeanEsopenko
1-Nov-2010, 13:22
You should check out eBay completed auctions to get an idea. The price mentioned above is NOT the norm, but very much an exception. These processors are highly sought after and sell for a lot of money.

Oh I didn't know you could search for finished auctions. Thanks a lot, that solves it.

Now where does somebody get E6 & C41 chemicals?

Brian C. Miller
2-Nov-2010, 00:09
The CPP and CPE processors will warm the water. The CPP has a cold water intake to cool the water, too. I think you could use the CPE with the Jobo single-reel tank, but I don't think I would try it with the double reel. You can always spin the tank by hand in the bath, though.

The thermostat on the CPE is mechanical, and the markings are not accurate. I used a thermometer, and took some time to figure out the spots where the temps really are and marked them in pencil. The CPP has a digital thermometer, and tighter temp regulation. However, with the large volume of water in the unit, you really won't see significant variation.

I have processed color with both processors, and they do a really good job. Freestyle has chemicals, but I don't know if they ship to Canada.

evan clarke
2-Nov-2010, 05:22
I have been looking for a backup cpp-2 for over 2 years and was finally able to buy one in my price range. Most I have seen were in the $1500.00 range and had some drums thrown in, drums are also critical and bringing big money. Some weeks there are no auctions for them at all on eBay...Evan Clarke

Sirius Glass
2-Nov-2010, 10:06
I got a CPP 2 for $150 plus shipping on APUG with all the bottles and a 1540 tank, no reels.

I paid $510 for a new 3010 Expert Drum from FreeStyle

Steve

davkt
2-Nov-2010, 13:23
The CPP and CPE processors will warm the water. The CPP has a cold water intake to cool the water, too. I think you could use the CPE with the Jobo single-reel tank, but I don't think I would try it with the double reel. You can always spin the tank by hand in the bath, though.

My CPE came with a 4312 tank which takes 2 reels 35mm and the pic on the box shows it with a 4530 (what I've bought to go with it) which takes 5x4 from what I can see written on it in the box picture (and 10x8 print according to the ebay ad so maybe 10x8 film as well). Have just found a secondhand Jobo TPE as well so in effect have the capability of a CPE2 but in 2 units, easier on the shelf space!

vlad
8-Nov-2010, 19:53
Got mine CPA-2 processor for €180 with 4541 and small 4312 tank in which I develop two 4x5 sheets at a time. I don't have no dedicated holders for sheet film but I gave it a try and it works perfect way. I have processed many sheets this way in c41 as well as with Rodinal with great results. Rollei Digibase C41 kit is what I use, appears to be most economical alternative.
For two sheets you need only 125ml of chemicals when running in processor.

edtog
9-Nov-2010, 01:03
As I've been after one (now sorted) I've spent the last 4 months studying the prices of Jobo's.
Here in England the CPE2 with lift goes for around £100-£150, I've just picked up at CPA/lift, for spares/backup for £270 and my CPP 2/lift was £175.
They come up on that auction site fairly regularly so worth waiting and getting a bargain.

evan clarke
9-Nov-2010, 09:20
The problem is shipping across the pond, I have almost pulled the trigger on one from Europe but got lucky and a pristine one came up here in Wisconsin...EC

SeanEsopenko
9-Nov-2010, 19:50
The problem is shipping across the pond, I have almost pulled the trigger on one from Europe but got lucky and a pristine one came up here in Wisconsin...EC

Agreed. The prices seem much more reasonable in Europe but shipping something so heavy to Canada would be atrocious. Even from the US to Canada I'm seeing shipping prices up in the $200's. I haven't been able to find a source for Nova darkroom equipment either. I've considered getting their 300 watter heater with thermostat and just trying some low-tech C41 processing before splurging on a jobo. I haven't been able to find a north american source of Nova stuff, though.

Farside
11-Nov-2010, 17:03
I picked up an old CPP with a couple of print drums for €20. The CPP isn't as good as the later models, but it does have sufficient basic funtionality to do what I need it for. For 4x5 and 9x12 I have the semi-spiral 6-sheet reel, but I made my own 'Expert' drum from a 4531 and a diy honeycomb of plastic pipes inside it. Cost; about €10.
The older Jobo kit works just as well as it ever did - made to last.