PDA

View Full Version : Panorama Locations in Rome-December?

Tim Trapp
25-Oct-2010, 07:00
I will be in Rome for a short time in December. Knowing that the days will be short and the weather perhaps not the best, I'm trying to decide if I want to bring my panorama gear. Would anyone like to suggest good locations for panoramas, and what restrictions might I face on tripod use at those locations? Thanks!

Richard Wasserman
25-Oct-2010, 08:31
I don't know about tripods in Rome, and I'm really not trying to be snide or anything, but aren't panorama opportunities everywhere? Or are you looking for something specific?

andreios
25-Oct-2010, 08:51
Try to walk up the hills that surround the "old" city.. My favorite is Avventino, but others offer nice views as well. For misty mornings you may try some more remote parts - you may try walking a bit of Via Appia. But of course, you may spend a year in Rome and not tire of subject to shoot.

Lachlan 717
25-Oct-2010, 12:41
Trevi Fountain also is perfect for Pano shots.

My tip is to get there right on sunrise to miss the madding crowds. (I have done this and found no one there... For about 15 minutes).

36cm2
25-Oct-2010, 17:16
Some safe bets are:
Trinita dei Monti (top of Spanish Steps) east side of town;
Gianicolo (hills behind Vatican) west side of town;
Top left corner of the Vittoriano (wedding cake building in center of town, may not permit tripod/lf) looking toward the ruins to the left side of the colloseum, the colloseum and the roman forum;
Terme di caracalla - off the beaten path, very cool when lit up, watch out when you go, there can be unsavory types at odd hours;
Top of Castel Gandolfo, may not permit tripods, large format.
Park across from the colloseum.
Agree that the surrounding towns are also very cool and if you have time and don't fear driving in foreign countries with bad signage it's totally worth a trip to do a circuit. Let me know and I can recommend a plan if you're interested.

In bocc'al lupo.

Leo

la.triglia
26-Oct-2010, 05:10
Tripod (my personal opinion)
From a public place, It may happen to meet with a zealous vigilant that prohibits of photographing monuments or works of art exposed to the public.

Do they are right? The answer is not easy:

It is generally possible take pictures without problems, even if, some buildings or situations can be protected, even if in fact, the forces of order can prevent us from lay the tripod on public square by invoking as employment of public land.
Remember also, if the freedom of panorama allows for pictures, their publication is not automatic.
On the contrary, it is often the opposite, because every building or sculpture is subject to copyright laws and the photograph which resumed it, violates the copyright law.

Panorama (most convenient)

- The best panorama, without doubt, is from the Quadrighe terrace at the top of Vittoriano.
You have to go to Vittoriano Building (Monument to the fallen of all wars) and to reach the top utilizing the elevator’s glass.
- Gianicolo
- Aventino
- San Pietro Cupola (St Peter's dome)
- Trinità dei Monti (at the top of Piazza di Spagna)
- Terrace of Piazza del Popolo

Tim Trapp
28-Oct-2010, 10:14
Many thanks for all the good suggestions that will allow me to make the best of my limited time!

Ash
28-Oct-2010, 14:03
take a monopod/walking stick with tripod mount

from the colosseum inside you could take a pano.... looking out you can see a bit of an ugly view, but 5 minute walk from there near the cafes you can get a nice pano of the stadium itself.

personally i think some of rome's streets look great as panos, but then if i had the choice i'd probably be in venice in the winter, not rome. i much prefer flooded streets - much more romantic in a photographic way.