PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Pictorialism by Tinley

Jim Cole
23-Oct-2010, 18:08
Just saw a copy of this 1930 book in a local small bookstore. It looked interesting as an addition to my pictorialism collection. It was in nice condition, but a bit pricey, so I wanted to ask if anyone has read this book and whether they might have any comments. Worth the read and worthy of owning a copy?

Thanks

sun of sand
23-Oct-2010, 18:36
id think if you have a collection there wont be anything new said in this one so i say no

at this point youre buying as another addition

how interested are you if you need input from others?
i dont see it
dunno

Jim Cole
24-Oct-2010, 05:29
id think if you have a collection there wont be anything new said in this one so i say no

Have you read this book? Others on pictorialism?

at this point youre buying as another addition

I believe that is what a collection is. Books on the same basic topic, but different in style and content.

how interested are you if you need input from others?
i dont see it
dunno

Why does anyone ask any question on this forum? Thanks for your very valuable input. I'll wait for some comments from others who may have something coherent and interesting to contribute to my question.

sun of sand
24-Oct-2010, 17:36
Have you read this book? Others on pictorialism?

no. what's that matter? it doesn't, imo. I'm not coming from that angle

if I have a collection i expect myself to know what i appreciate and not need nor want input from others on what i should be interested in looking at

I believe that is what a collection is. Books on the same basic topic, but different in style and content.

yeah, sure. what's the point?

Why does anyone ask any question on this forum? Thanks for your very valuable input. I'll wait for some comments from others who may have something coherent and interesting to contribute to my question.

because they want to, i guess.
you're welcome
but dont thank me and tell me my input is valuable and then turn around and say im incoherent and uninteresting
thats dumb

remember
youre the one who is seeking advice on what you should be collecting

thats uninteresting

sun of sand
24-Oct-2010, 17:54
anyway
i like food

what should i eat for dinner

Monty McCutchen
24-Oct-2010, 18:40
because they want to, i guess.
you're welcome
but dont thank me and tell me my input is valuable and then turn around and say im incoherent and uninteresting
thats dumb

remember
youre the one who is seeking advice on what you should be collecting

thats uninteresting

What's uninteresting is someone who's a hammer who can't find a nail to hit--they invariably go around hitting anything else that presents itself.

You consistently twist a fork without provocation which suggest more likely than not a truly uninteresting life--one that is compelled to force interest through conflict on subjects that have nothing but a drive by relevance to you. Like most things 'angry' they take borrowed energy to keep going so I'm sure my response will give you five more minutes of said to move forward in life.

Some folks can never quite get over having those hall monitor powers taken away from them in the seventh grade. Good luck with recovering yours Sun of Sand.

Jim,

I haven't seen the book you are referring to. I would love to hear a report on it if you choose to get it. My own two favorite pictorial books are TruthBeauty which is quite pricey now and Impressionist Camera, Pictorial Photography in Europe 1888-1918. Good luck on your search.

Monty

Jim Cole
24-Oct-2010, 19:06
Monty,

Thanks for the recommendations. If I pick it up, I'll do a follow up here. Hopefully by then the hall monitor will have left the building.

Craig Griffiths
24-Oct-2010, 19:30
Jim,

I have had a quick look at the book again (first looked at it a few months ago) and think it would be a good addition to a collection if you are looking for a summary of photographers and methods used prior to 1930.

Most of the books I have on pictorialism (apart from Impressionist Camera and Truth Beauty) are by Robinson and Emerson. This gives a good summary and overview of the earlier writings as well as a fair amount about what makes a photograph, art.

If the cost is not too excessive it would be a good addition.

Jim Michael
24-Oct-2010, 19:50
For a sanity check on the price of that book alibris.com has a pretty good used book search engine.

Jim Cole
25-Oct-2010, 04:26
Craig and Jim,

Thanks for the additional contributions.

Jim, The local bookstore's price was pretty close to the low side of those found on BookFinder.com so it seems quite reasonable.

Craig, looks like you have the same books as Monty, so another recommendation for those two. Looks like my library will be growing. Thanks for taking another look at Tinley's book for me. I think I will pick up a copy of that as well.

Kerik Kouklis
25-Oct-2010, 09:13
Here's another vote for Impressionist Camera. Excellent book.

Jim Cole
25-Oct-2010, 10:01
Thanks Kerik!

sun of sand
25-Oct-2010, 18:53
What's uninteresting is someone who's a hammer who can't find a nail to hit--they invariably go around hitting anything else that presents itself.

You consistently twist a fork without provocation which suggest more likely than not a truly uninteresting life--one that is compelled to force interest through conflict on subjects that have nothing but a drive by relevance to you. Like most things 'angry' they take borrowed energy to keep going so I'm sure my response will give you five more minutes of said to move forward in life.

Some folks can never quite get over having those hall monitor powers taken away from them in the seventh grade. Good luck with recovering yours Sun of Sand.

Jim,

I haven't seen the book you are referring to. I would love to hear a report on it if you choose to get it. My own two favorite pictorial books are TruthBeauty which is quite pricey now and Impressionist Camera, Pictorial Photography in Europe 1888-1918. Good luck on your search.

Monty

if i got off by
howd you say this? ..twisting forks?
i dunno, think i'd be doing it more often
.25 posts a day here and who knows about apug
and all the other forums im on
wait im not on any others right now

i usually enter a thread only if its the current one in the forum or whatever
the others are usually the image threads i look at
so something has to be -usually- the "current" thread and also one that grabs my attenton for whatever reason
i'm obviously not searching for little arguments
they come about when i have a strong feeling on something

without provocation?
frankly, people can't provoke me
if you go around twisting forks when "provoked" i feel sorry for you
i mean, unless injury or life is threatened
are you serious? provoked? ..online no less? lol

but anyway

"drive by relevance"
who says? I cant be interested in pictorialism? i cant be intirgued by what drives someone to collect things?
I don't have much interst in books but really that isn't needed in this thread
"Worth the read and worthy of owning a copy?"
who determines that? worthy of ownership?
I gave my reason for why it probably isn't
Do i need to be an expert on these books to know what is worthy for him to own?
define expert
it gets deeper

"Like most things 'angry' they take borrowed energy to keep going so I'm sure my response will give you five more minutes of said to move forward in life."

i don't understand that
where would i borrow energy from? I just spent all day doing something i love and did more at home just having come in inside about an hour ago
back breaking work
and who is angry?

but youre right in that I am here taking you line by line
but in no way does that mean youre fueling me or that doing so means you've somehow won the argument having a prediction seemingly proven right
i really don't get it

"Some folks can never quite get over having those hall monitor powers taken away from them in the seventh grade"

wouldn't know. those kids were nerds. so were the treasurer and class president and whatever other meaningless designations others strove to attain
even valedictorian for most

"Good luck with recovering yours Sun of Sand"
why did you capitalize my name so prominently at the end? mine is undercase and its not really a proper name so sems odd ..like you're trying to say something without saying it.
but i don't think youre saying much even if i don't know what it is you may be trying to say in doing so

I'm going to link to a site that i visit ..but dont post on
it's a local site for hometown folks to talk about news/evemnts

actually i'll just copy/paste

from today

Today's Poll: How much John Gardner have you read?

john gardner was a local author before dying 30 years ago and for some reason his devotees gather at his favorite restaurant to recite his works every year

Maybe a short story or two, a poem, or bits of his other work.
Some of his non-fiction.
His children's stories.
At least one of his novels.
Several novels, some of his other work.
Nothing. 219
Who's John Gardner? 287 votes

total votes 607

responses
"I cant believe there are this many people who haven’t heard of him"

"For those who never heard of John Gardner, here's a hint: he was never on American Idol, Survivor or Hollywood Squares."

"It should be how old are the 128 who never heard of him?"

"...or are his books in your local watering hole"

"Wow look at the local yokels who get angry when you don't know about a guy who died 28 years ago."

in response to the last response
"With all due respect, why not read it before passing judgement. ..No one is angry that YOU don't know him (if, in fact, you were one of the 197). Not being from this area, no one would expect you to have any pride in a local author."

so being from the area means youre supposed to
take pride in him
read a lot his work
especially if alive during his time

and if you do not

you must spend your time watching springer, hollywood squares, american idol, survivor, real housewives of orange county, eating government cheese and are probably a drunk

:rolleyes:

no matter how stupid that is you can just tell that a lot of these 20%ers who give any shit about this guy whatsoever think of themselves as the city elite

if you are elite you know top 20% doesnt mean shit and top 5% is just breaking in

in other words
a lot of people who believe they know a lot dont have a clue
they just got a gang

whatever
im going to go find a thread where there are 20 repliers trying to nail into the same hole

Jim Cole
25-Oct-2010, 19:18
Wow, does this forum have an ignore setting for certain posters?

Found it.

imagedowser
27-Oct-2010, 06:00
Have some compassion guys, a slightly different blend of genes, and this could be us. We too would be using a clever mix of words to express ourselves, instead of big cameras and a love of film...

Jim Cole
27-Oct-2010, 07:08
1) Clever words to express a meaningful response - very cool

2) Clever words to make a useless/rude response - compassion and patience

3) Constant problem with #2 - ignore button

Only had to use it twice in 6 years.

sun of sand
27-Oct-2010, 16:28
Wow, does this forum have an ignore setting for certain posters?

Found it

which does that earn?

how many times have you heard someone tell the person they want to ignore that they are doing so or may do so

why? it's hysterical

you want nothing to do with someone but will then tell them that you wan
lol

that's childish

what are they really saying? REALLY saying
at least im not that type of person

but dont worry i dont ignore button people
I'd rather try to understand it

Richard K.
27-Oct-2010, 17:37
This book has a good collection of photos by various photographers and is apparently written from an art appreciation not necessarily photographic point of view. Gleaned from reading description on Amazon and ABE books...:)
I ordered one onABE...

Jim Cole
27-Oct-2010, 19:05
Richard, you'll probably get yours before me. Let me know what your initial impression is. The fact that it was written by an artist is what interested me in the book in the first place.