PDA

View Full Version : newbie question on Scanmate 5000

Andrea Gazzoni
21-Oct-2010, 08:51
I've just acquired this beauty, but it comes without a manual, and I was not able to locate a copy.

Anyone can please explain how to dismount the main drum (and how to remount it)? Must I turn on the scanner before?

I'd be grateful to anyone willing to send me a copy of the manual.
thank you
Andre

Andrea Gazzoni
28-Oct-2010, 08:43
After some search I've found the answer I am posting here for reference.

There is a button to the left of the drum just under the lift up cover, "Drum Lock".
Press it once and the light will come on. Hold it in and the drum will pull
to the left so it can be locked in place with a few spins. Once it is locked so it doesn't
spin, then the drum can be removed by turning it. Make note of the position
so that you put it back in the same place since two out of the three ways to
put it back are wrong. The line on the drum needs to be at the same place
when you put it back.
Once you unlock the drum by turning it counter clockwise, pull to the right
and it will come off. You may have to wiggle it a little.

Andrea Gazzoni
30-Oct-2010, 13:37
the Beast has finally produced his first scans, I've had it linked to my Dell laptop with ColorTrio and a scsi>pcmcia adapter. Lucky me, the scanner was immediately recognized and ready to go, only a white calibration was necessary.
First trials and first 4x5 slide to the trash can, it detached itself from the drum while it was spinning and started flapping into the drum chamber... guys that noise can really make your blood freeze, trust me :o
Lesson #1 is "use more tape". Or learn wet mounting.

Then I've bravely taped (well...cemented) an 8x10" slide but it seems impossible to have the whole slide scanned at once, the preview is split in two parts and it misses an area.
I remember I've put attention to tape the slide near the guide line on the drum, so I don't understand... may this be a limitation of ColorTrio? the scanning area as stated in the manual is 8 3/4 x 12".
At present I can't use ColorQuartet, as it requests a firmware update.

any suggestion?

Bill Kantor
30-Oct-2010, 14:13
You need to remove the drum and remount it but rotate it on the bayonet mount 120 degrees. (You will figure out which way if it does not work the first time.) The drum should have a mark on it next to where it mates with the bayonet spindle. If you want to make this more repeatable you should similarly mark the bezel of the bayonet so you don't have to guess in the future.

Bill

Andrea Gazzoni
1-Nov-2010, 14:48
I must say it was easy, thank you Bill.

attached is a picture of the power cord socket of the mounting station (and one of the first scans).

any idea on where to buy such a cable? ABC-Scan.dk can't help with this.

thank you