PDA

View Full Version : Processing Pola type 55

Paul McMullin
19-Oct-2010, 06:33
I have 10 boxes of Pola 55. Unfortunately it expired march 2000 and on testing a couple of sheets it seems that the processing chemical has either solidified or just gone off as it hardly develops the image - ie its just a goey mess.
Question: Is it possible to develop this film in a conventional manner? I would propose to shoot normally and then strip the neg out for tank processing. If so has anyone got any experience of this and if so what dev /fix combination would work best.
Would you dev first then use the sodium sulphite to clear/fix the neg for example?
help much appreciated as I really really dont want to have to bin this fab film.
Cheers

Greg_Thomas
20-Oct-2010, 12:17
I have 10 boxes of Pola 55. Unfortunately it expired march 2000 and on testing a couple of sheets it seems that the processing chemical has either solidified or just gone off as it hardly develops the image - ie its just a goey mess.
Question: Is it possible to develop this film in a conventional manner? I would propose to shoot normally and then strip the neg out for tank processing. If so has anyone got any experience of this and if so what dev /fix combination would work best.
Would you dev first then use the sodium sulphite to clear/fix the neg for example?
help much appreciated as I really really dont want to have to bin this fab film.
Cheers

I asked this same question on a forum that I can't remember now. Anyway, you develop just a regular negative. Dev, stop, fix, no need to clear the negative since you're using regular methods. I'll try to find the recommended developer and times that were suggested to me.

jnantz
20-Oct-2010, 12:43
it is very much the same ( or some people say it IS the same ) as panatomic x.
if you google "developing panatomic x" you will find starting points to develop it in your
favorite developer.

good luck !

john

Paul McMullin
20-Oct-2010, 15:09
Thanks Greg and John, Ill give it a go. I think as the film is 1o yrs out of date Ill rate it at 25asa as a starter.

I had totally forgotten about Panatomic x film but just an hour ago I came across some 35mm B/W negs that my father-in-law had taken in the 60's and they are panatomic x
Such a coincidence and obviously an omen for good things.
Cheers

Greg_Thomas
20-Oct-2010, 15:40
I still haven't found my post but I do remember the guy developing as Panatomic X. Please let us know how it goes, I still haven't shot my Type 55 where the pods have dried.

CCB
25-Oct-2010, 18:35
Has anyone attempted to rehydrate dried Polaroid developer?

Just wondering what solvents have been tried, and with what success?

VictoriaPerelet
25-Oct-2010, 21:39

Yes, you can use traditional development process, you'll loose "T55 charm", here's example of development in hc110

http://victoriasphoto.com/Notes/Polaroid_55/

Greg_Thomas
25-Oct-2010, 23:36
Yes, you can use traditional development process, you'll loose "T55 charm", here's example of development in hc110

http://victoriasphoto.com/Notes/Polaroid_55/

Awesome, thanks for the comparison. What were your details on development?

VictoriaPerelet
26-Oct-2010, 06:51
Timing/mixing is standard, I use hc110 for all b/w films and I processed in tray.

T55 film is wider than standard film it won't fit jobo 25XX rails and also will have wrong fit in to expert tanks, or 4x5 hangers. Yankee tank and also Nikon 4x5 tanks will work if you adjust it right.