PDA

View Full Version : Jobo 3010 vs 4x5 Reels

jeroldharter
15-Oct-2010, 17:15
I have been re-testing my processing times with Jobo Expert drums for 4x5. Along the way, I picked up some of the 4x5 reels which I used for the first time today. I did the full 5 runs of film processing for BTZS testing with the 3010. I decided to do just one test with the 4x5 reels, the 8 minute processing run, to see how the sensitometry of the step tablet compared with the 3010. It was reasonably close as you can see in the attached files. I don't think I will test all of the times. Others have said that processing times for the tanks and reels are interchangeable. They are reasonably close.

On the first graph, the data for the 4x5 reels is on top and blocks out the labels for the 3010 drum. The other two graphs show each one individually.

Greg_Thomas
15-Oct-2010, 18:50
I have been re-testing my processing times with Jobo Expert drums for 4x5. Along the way, I picked up some of the 4x5 reels which I used for the first time today. I did the full 5 runs of film processing for BTZS testing with the 3010. I decided to do just one test with the 4x5 reels, the 8 minute processing run, to see how the sensitometry of the step tablet compared with the 3010. It was reasonably close as you can see in the attached files. I don't think I will test all of the times. Others have said that processing times for the tanks and reels are interchangeable. They are reasonably close.

On the first graph, the data for the 4x5 reels is on top and blocks out the labels for the 3010 drum. The other two graphs show each one individually.

I still haven't started developing my own 4x5 but I do have the 2509N reels. Are they the ones you tested with?

jeroldharter
15-Oct-2010, 20:44
I still haven't started developing my own 4x5 but I do have the 2509N reels. Are they the ones you tested with?

I forgot to mention that. I used the older reels, I think 2509 and not 2509 which have the black plastic clips. So mine did not have the black clips. I put 3 sheets in one side (the max) and 2 sheets in the other side of the reel with the middle slot empty. The side with 3 sheets had tight clearance and one sheet work slightly out of the reel. I think I could have inserted it better. In any case, it was unaffected. So in the future, I will put 3 sheets per side (6 sheets per reel) and be more careful with insertion and won't anticipate problems.

As an aside, I also started using the ATN Viper night vision monocular for the first time. I figured the whole exercise would be a bust with fogged film and me looking even more like an idiot exiting the darkroom wearing an apron and a night vision monocular. As it turned out, it worked like a charm. No film fogging, I could see the film very well, had no problems juggling different film boxes. I'm sold on the Viper for film loading/cutting/handling. Also, it will save me a lot of time loading many film holders in a session or loading multiple roll films on reels, etc. For people who do ULF, it would also save them money by reducing scratches or inacurate cuts.