PDA

View Full Version : One that wants to slow down

andreios
15-Oct-2010, 10:35
Good evening (here) or good day (someplace else) to you all!
I've been lurking round here for some time, after some hesitation started posted today (because I don't like to ask stupid questions, but it's sometimes inevitable), so I think it would be polite to introduce myself.
I am quite young, finishing university ATM, but already father of two. That means two things - little time and little money. :)
Anyhow, I've been shooting for quite a couple of years now, at first colour film (small format of course), then went digital.. Then I got sick of all those files and returned to film - BW, home-processed. I am shooting with an Olympus OM, an old, battered barnack Leica, and there is an old Rolleiflex in my drawer though it really isn't in good shape. The other reason apart from digital sickness for going analogue was the urge to slow down in taking pictures. Well, it did slow me down, I like the separate focusing - composing on the leica IIIc, but I still am looking for something slower - shoot one or two images at a time and concentrate on light, composition,...
Therefore I'd like to get into large format, though with some limitations - like no LF enlarger but only contact printing &c. (But my, I do look forward to printing! Already thinking about some alt-process techniques or lith printing at least.)
So, what shall I say in the end? I think, I ought to apologize in advance for all the bothering stupid questions, but I hope your patience will be rewarded after some time with at least one beautiful image.
Thank you.
andreios

Stephane
15-Oct-2010, 10:57
I hear you start by saying you will only want to contact print. That's great! Then you have to realize that you are setting limits before starting LF and even touched the stuff.
And in my experience, setting limits wont work. If you are on a budget, maybe you will start 4x5. You will realize that 8x10 contact prints will look bigger and nicer, or maybe you will want to enlarge to 8x10...
At some point, you will probably realize that slowing down in taking pictures does not necessarily means long pinhole exposures all the time. You will need lenses (brass is a good choice).
When you think slow, you are on the right track. It will be even slower than you think as you will learn, mature and build your personal esthetics. If it's your passion, then it's a life long dedication.

Vick Vickery
15-Oct-2010, 11:07
Well, Andreios, large format will certainly slow you down! Especially with your tight budget! :) 8x10 is much better than 4x5 for contact printing, but 8x10 won't be easy on your budget...for that reason, I would look for a good 4x5 as a starting camera. You will find that, with the longer set-up time, composing thru a ground-glass with a focusing hood over your head, taking time to close the shutter, insert the holder, pull the darkslide, make the exposure, reinsert the darkslide and remove the holder, you will take a lot of time to make sure you get your shot right the first time! This is a patient photographer's game! Welcome to group therepy! :)

andreios
15-Oct-2010, 13:16
Thank you for welcome comments!

Stephane, I know I am setting limitations to myself, but the contact print is a limitation set by space that I have, not the budget. Perhaps one time, in a larger home, I'll be able to enlarge, but for now I have to work with contact prints. And I do not grudge it. As for pnholes - they are only a short-term starting point (or a warming point) for me, a side-track experiment. I intend to use lenses as well... :)
To be honest, what I am lusting mostly is a 5x7 format - not so "small" as 4x5 but it seems to me a good compromise between the size of the negative, size of the camera and cost of gear and film. But I shall see what time will bring.

Vick, the group therapy sounds exactly like what I need. :)

Sirius Glass
15-Oct-2010, 16:01
Welcome to Large Format Photography.

The only stupid question is a question that does not get asked. Ask away.

Steve

biglewsmi
15-Oct-2010, 16:56
I find 4x5 contact prints satisfying. I have a 4x5 enlarger, but I rarely make a print larger than 5x7. Even when I do 8x10 is about it. I prefer smaller pictures that draw you in close to look at all the little details. In my opinion bigger is not always better. You have to roll with what you have, or can afford. That's not setting limitations, that's just being sensible and realistic.

BrianShaw
18-Oct-2010, 07:15
I'm another who has no problem with 4x5 contact prints. Sometimes I'd like bigger, but most often 4x5 works for me.

Re: slowing down (and not to discourage anyone from getting into LF photography)... one can "slow down" and shoot less/better in any format. It is a state of mind. Just set that as the goal.

There are plenty of other reasons to try LF photography, and if you do... enjoy!

Greg Miller
18-Oct-2010, 08:38
Re: slowing down (and not to discourage anyone from getting into LF photography)... one can "slow down" and shoot less/better in any format. It is a state of mind. Just set that as the goal.

I agree. LF will slow you down; but the reverse is not true. Slowing down does not require LF. In fact, you can make a case that slowing down is even more important for smaller formats,

Having the discipline to slow down is cheaper than buying new gear. Or just put a wanky padlock on your camera case so it takes effort to get the camera out. Take a deep breath, relax, and see the world. Then get your camera out, regardless of format.

Now if you want/need more resolution for control over the lens and/or film plane, then certainly LF is the right decision.

andreios
18-Oct-2010, 10:53
Well, it is not only slowing down itself.. I think it is also about learning something new, exploring new techniques - not only new gear (which I am not that much into, with three cameras and three lenses :) )..
Since I started using rangefinder cameras (35mm), I've been doing sort of street photography - as it is called - which I still enjoy much but sometimes I still have that urge to try to find some other subject, immovable perhaps, put a camera on my tripod and look and think.. And it is a bit weird for me to put a small barnack leica on a heavy tripod and look long into that tiny viewfinder..
I am not sure I can explain this, but I think I may enjoy both quick shooting of more perishable images and also need another solution for images that are waiting to be explored and interpreted slowly.. Perhaps it makes a bit of sense..
Anyway, in the end it was quick - last night I jumped upon a nice and "almost local" deal and purchased a mint Sinar F1. Perhaps not the best thing for a beginner, but we shall see. That settles the format size - at least for some time. But I think I won't grudge it, I usually enlarge my small format negatives on 5x7 paper but with quite a wide white border, so the actual image size I am used to isn't that far from 4x5..
But now, the camera bought, there comes another "problem" - and that is the lens. After reading a couple of thread both here and over at APUG I think I might try to get hold of a 180mm or even 210mm glass as my first and for some time only lens.

BrianShaw
18-Oct-2010, 12:21
Good for you! Finding an affordable 210 shouldn't be a problem since there are many, many out there.

andreios
25-Dec-2010, 10:01
Finally after submitting my thesis a week ago I found some time to process and scan some of my first humble attempts, they are (and more will be) seen on my blog: andrej.protisvetlo.net (http://andrej.protisvetlo.net). Not that they are any good, but I am enjoying the therapy greatly.. :)

al olson
28-Dec-2010, 07:53
Andreios,

I am very impressed with the last four images on you blog. Were these made with the Sinar?

Happy shooting and a Happy New Year to you!

Brian C. Miller
28-Dec-2010, 10:43
Al, I think the LF images are under Twenty square inches (http://andrej.protisvetlo.net/twenty-square-inches).

andreios
28-Dec-2010, 12:11
Thank you Al. Those images were made with a battered Leica IIIc on motion picture Kodak 35mm film.. At the moment only those pointed out by Brian are LF, all other shots are in the queue, since I've stopped posting after discovering some issues with current template (a think called posterous - it makes quite a mess from all posted images). I am now working on a temporary simple wordpress solution, until I get something more proper.

Richard K.
28-Dec-2010, 13:29
I think 5x7 contact prints of Prague (either silver or Platinum) will be AMAZING!!
Take advantage of your youth and living in one ot the most beautiful cities in the world to create a fantastic body of work...

andreios
28-Dec-2010, 14:18
Richard, thank you very much for encouragement!