PDA

View Full Version : does any one have examples of aerial mapping film or any other aerial film

cosmicexplosion
13-Oct-2010, 13:53
I have been searching for images made with aerial or continuous tone mapping film but to no avail: do you have any?

or do you have any tips or tricks with it usage?

EdWorkman
14-Oct-2010, 08:51
Try Jim Galli's website

Vaughn
14-Oct-2010, 11:27
http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Chamonix5X14/Chamonix_5X14.html

Nathan Potter
14-Oct-2010, 19:20
Well I'm not sure what exactly you want.

If you want information on current B&W aerial film just go to Kodaks Aerial Imaging Products Catalog. There is listed the 8 current versions of film (no doubt some are no longer available, but I'm not sure). Mostly available in 5 and 9.5 in. wide X ft. long rolls. Costs $$$$$.

I did aerial photography for the US Navy way back (yikes) say about 1957 - 58 or so using IIRC a K-17 Fairchild camera. Used mostly a 6 in. or 12 in. FL lens. Used a variety of support devices at the bomb bay doors, (terrifying at first) in a Navy P2V.

The film was probably not unlike what would be available today. I used 9.5 inch Eastman Safety film and developed it in D76 in the labs in French Morocco and Malta (Halfar British airbase).

Incredibly I have a few contact prints from some of this film taken of eskimo settlements along the coast of Baffin Island. They were D76 souped in Keflavik Newfoundland about 1958. If I can lay my hands on these I'll scan a typical print and post it. However I'm not sure that will be useful to you.

Now that I think about it, during that couple of years of aerial experience I worked out the technique of under exposing the film a bit then over developing in D76 to increase the contrast of the ground images. Modern aerials that I see from commercial sources often have quite poor contrast so if you get into this from an aerial perspective think about my old approach. Although modern materials maybe spectrally adjusted for higher contrast and have newer developing solution, also supplied by Kodak. Check Galli's work as suggested for terrestrial LF use.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.