PDA

View Full Version : Are there any 'Polaroid like' positive alternatives for 8x10 or larger?

JohnJ
12-Oct-2010, 15:57
Are there any 'Polaroid like' positive alternatives for 8x10 or larger, preferably colour but probably B+W?

I would like to shoot 'one off' or 'unique' images similar to Polaroid or Fuji instant prints but these are no longer available in 8x10 so I'm wondering if there are any 'positive' film or similar alternatives? Maybe there are some old techniques that give a postive image that can be mounted/backlit for example.

I don't want to process/print film although this would potentially be cheaper and easier. The entire purpose is to create 'one off' images.

Thanks in advance.

JJ

Erik Larsen
12-Oct-2010, 16:24
You can try and shoot the positive paper by efke. I believe Freestyle carries it.
regards
Erik

Vaughn
12-Oct-2010, 16:27
Color transparencies -- "one off", and send them off to be processed. Almost as easy as Polaroids, and probable about the same costs (just a guess).

Display in light boxes/frames, perhaps? Plus you have the ability to make high-quality copies (scanning the transparency).

JohnJ
12-Oct-2010, 16:59
Color transparencies -- "one off", and send them off to be processed. Almost as easy as Polaroids, and probable about the same costs (just a guess).

Display in light boxes/frames, perhaps? Plus you have the ability to make high-quality copies (scanning the transparency).

True, I was looking for some thing more DIY, that didn't have to be processed externally like tranny film. But yes, it's certainly 'one off'.

Some thing like the Efke paper or maybe a similar old process that gives a positive print or image is the kind of thing I'm after.

JJ

Oren Grad
12-Oct-2010, 18:01
Harman Direct Positive papers (http://www.harmanexpress.net/)

Ben Syverson
12-Oct-2010, 19:21
The Impossible 8x10 will be here in not too long... wait.

Frank Petronio
12-Oct-2010, 19:42
The Impossible Project stuff is a scam based on the rip-off worthless crap film they sold me. If they make it, it will cost $50 a sheet and fade to mud in 20 minutes.

sanchi heuser
12-Oct-2010, 20:25
http://20x24studio.com

A little bit luxury.

Ben Syverson
12-Oct-2010, 20:31
Integral film is a lot harder to make than peel-apart... My guess is that their 8x10 stuff will be much better than any of their integral products (which are slowly improving)

Vaughn
12-Oct-2010, 21:27
True, I was looking for some thing more DIY, that didn't have to be processed externally like tranny film. But yes, it's certainly 'one off'.

Some thing like the Efke paper or maybe a similar old process that gives a positive print or image is the kind of thing I'm after.

JJ

Okay -- you said "I don't want to process/print film..." so if you don't want to get your hands wet, there is not much else.

POP paper would be your next option if it was still available.

Vaughn

mdm
13-Oct-2010, 00:06
Harman Direct Positive Paper available from harmanexpress.com

I have some in 5x7 and it will fit in certain plastic 5x7 holders. Not newer plastic, not wood. 13x18cm holders would be ideal. It is available in many sizes.

ISO 4 or 2 and very contrasty. I have not had much luck but I am useless at the moment so cant blame the paper.

Could be a great time saver. A few minutes in a standard paper developer and fixer and Bobs your uncle.

I have just developed 2 pictures I took yesterday. IMHO it is too contrasty for general use without preflashing using the method described in the fact sheet on ilfordphoto.com which dramatically reduces the convenience factor. When they are dry I may scan em and post.

JohnJ
13-Oct-2010, 03:37
Thanks folks. Yes, I would have preferred that there was still some version of the old Polaroid, or that a new one had been released but that seems not to be. I don’t really want a wet process but if that’s the only option then so be it.

Based on comments in various other threads it seems that the positive papers are too contrasty for normal use however, but still worthy of experimentation.

JJ

Sascha Welter
13-Oct-2010, 06:26
Pre-Flashing the positive paper and then throwing them into a one-bath "fixating developer"?? (Just wildly tossing ideas around...)

al olson
13-Oct-2010, 06:58

I have done transparencies, matted them, and put them in a frame. I place a "dust cover" of frosted mylar over the back and then hang them in the window.

One problem ... they do fade over time. :(

Vaughn
13-Oct-2010, 08:32
I have done transparencies, matted them, and put them in a frame. I place a "dust cover" of frosted mylar over the back and then hang them in the window.

One problem ... they do fade over time. :(

Yeah, all that UV light is hard on just about everything.

Daniel_Buck
13-Oct-2010, 10:45
ISO 4 or 2 and very contrasty. I have not had much luck but I am useless at the moment so cant blame the paper.

Indeed, very fun and a nice "one off" factor, but the contrast is so high! I've still not had much time to experiment with ways of reducing the contrast. if you are in a low contrast situation and you meter it just right, you can get some very interesting results!

Mark Sawyer
13-Oct-2010, 10:59
There's always tintypes and ambrotypes...

mdm
13-Oct-2010, 14:03
There is a thread on this on apug. You can preflash using some sort of a diffuser in front of the lens, a zone 2 or 3 exposure, which simplifies things. See 'The Negative' on how to do this. Seems it likes long exposures over 1 second. They have changed the size they cut to standard sheet film sizes rather than the paper sizes they were cutting to. There is someone doing really good stuff with pinhole cameras and no preflashing.

I am going to have a try using a sheet or 2 of yupo one end of a tube as the diffuser.

Cor
14-Oct-2010, 04:35
About 15 years ago we got our portrait taken by a street photographer in Jaipur, India. He first made a negative on B&W photo paper, and copied/reproduced 1:1 that again with the same "camera" (which doubled as a darkbox) on B&W photo paper.

See attached images to get the idea.

Best,

Cor

Vaughn
14-Oct-2010, 11:44
About 15 years ago we got our portrait taken by a street photographer in Jaipur, India. He first made a negative on B&W photo paper, and copied/reproduced 1:1 that again with the same "camera" (which doubled as a darkbox) on B&W photo paper.

See attached images to get the idea.

Best,

Cor

The street photographers in Cuba can do the same, but can put Che in your photo, too!