PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles

jeroldharter
11-Oct-2010, 21:36
I will be in Los Angeles for a few days in December. I don't really want to drive hours inland or up the coast so I think I should be able to find something interesting in the LA area. I lived there for 4 years so I am familiar with the area but I did not do much photography then. I like abstract architecture/industrial type photos so I thought I would spend some time in Century City with the buildings.

Any advice for other areas like ship yards, huge recycling centers, accessible ports (? Long Beach), etc. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks.

SW Rick
11-Oct-2010, 21:43
How about the Disney Concert Hall?

jeroldharter
11-Oct-2010, 23:00
How about the Disney Concert Hall?

Good call! That could be a whole day, or at least a half day.

Daniel Stone
11-Oct-2010, 23:17
be aware. tripods at disney concert hall seem to bring the security gaurds out in droves. well, at least they did so when i photographed their with my 4x5.

-Dan

BrianShaw
12-Oct-2010, 07:20
"abstract architecture"

... or Getty in the Sepulveda Pass.

... or the Cathedral across from Disney Hall.

(don't know about their tripod policies, thouugh)

BrianShaw
12-Oct-2010, 07:23
I don't know if it is open to the public, but an architectural challenge is the Bradbury Bldg. in downtown... I think on Broadway.

QT Luong
12-Oct-2010, 07:37
You cannot use a tripod on the half sidewalk that belongs to the Concert Hall, but it is OK on the other half sidewalk that belongs to the city of LA. When the Cathedral is empty, a tripod is OK, but they do not want it used when lots of people are present for safety reasons.

ldhayden
12-Oct-2010, 09:20
I concur with QT on tripod use around Disney. Early morning, well before anyone is around, the security guards will leave you be. Across the street no one bothers you with the exception of a curious onlooker if you are using LF gear.

I've never gone inside with a tripod so can't answer whether or not you would be allowed to photograph.

Long Beach, depending on where you are, will definitely bring out the security guards. Around the port expect to be visited.

Larry

QT Luong
12-Oct-2010, 09:40
> Long Beach, depending on where you are, will definitely bring out the security guards. Around the port expect to be visited.

That's been my experience too. Shortly after I set up a tripod, a police officer came to harass me (although my 80-year old mother was in the car), asked for my papers and ran a check, stated photography is prohibited, gave me the "9/11 talk", etc..

Richard M. Coda
12-Oct-2010, 12:06
Second for Disney. BUT, take my advice.
http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com/2008/11/halls-are-alive-with-sound-of-music.html

Go early Sunday morning... best light and less people.

Disney does NOT own the sidewalk to the curb. The city of Los Angeles does. This can be found in public record. Disney owns about 8 inches from the building footprint.

The security guards will first ask you if you are a professional. Say no. Then they will say something about "union" rules... tell them you are not a member of any union. Next they will tell you to move back and that you are trespassing or blocking traffic... nothing specific. If you go early Sunday morning you shouldn't be blocking anything. Ask them where the property line is... they don't even know. So I moved back about 10 feet and changed lenses.

If you can find the public record (I wish I remembered the URL - but if you search for disney concert hall property line or something like that you will get to an official LA county website).

http://members.cox.net/rcoda/photodisney.html

Eric Woodbury
12-Oct-2010, 12:36
Not far from Disney Hall is downtown LA. Some of those big buildings look interesting. Never shot there but have wanted to. Getty Museum is nice, too, but NO TRIPODS, so you either go hand held or use a bean bag.

BrianShaw
12-Oct-2010, 12:57
The security guards will first ask you if you are a professional. Say no. Then they will say something about "union" rules... tell them you are not a member of any union. Next they will tell you to move back and that you are trespassing or blocking traffic... nothing specific.

I totally agree with your approach - answer the question factually, but truth be told if one is on the sidewalk the Disney security really have no business asking much of anything. "Disney does NOT own the sidewalk to the curb. The city of Los Angeles does."... it's public property and one shouldn't need a property survey to prove that. When confronted with thatkind of situation I'm always tempted to dial the LAPD or LASD and see if the security guards still want to enforce whatever they think is their turf. I'm surprised they didn't tell you that the building design is copyrighted, trademarked, reduced calorie and fat fee... and because of that can't be photographed even from public property.

Sirius Glass
12-Oct-2010, 13:10
In Century City, not a place to photograph but to see photographs. http://www.annenbergspaceforphotography.org/exhibitions/overview.asp

The internal architecture of the building, you will find interesting.

Steve

vinny
12-Oct-2010, 13:22
Disney concert hall, never been shot by anyone, ever.

bob carnie
12-Oct-2010, 14:00
I like Venice Beach , and visit every time we venture west.

jeroldharter
12-Oct-2010, 14:06

I know, but I am just trying to improve my photography while photographing something interesting. Perhaps genius and originality will strike me along the way.

If I go to the Disney building I will report back on my rapport with their staff! Same with Long Beach. For those of you who went to Long Beach, were you shut down cold or just delayed?

Edwin Beckenbach
12-Oct-2010, 14:44
If you want to shoot at the port you should make arrangements in advance with the Port Police. Otherwise you will be lucky to go 15 minutes before being questioned by Homeland Security. It's the only place I have ever been interrupted by federal agents at gun point. The "you know we're at war don't you?" lecture was icing on the cake.

If you are downtown the City Hall Observation Deck has a really nice view:
http://sunlightwings.com/pages/CityHallObsDeck.html
120mm to 210mm work best for me.

Near Disney hall the John Ferraro building has a great view of the skyline across the pond which is great at night or early morning especially is the wind is very calm.

One of my favorite locations for the skyline is from the top of the Wells Fargo parking structure between 3rd and 4th off Broadway. However security does do hourly rounds and will chase you off so you have to work fast. Really great light at dawn. 90-120mm focal lengths are best. Likewise shooting from the 6th street bridge at dawn can be rewarding if you have a relatively long lens.

For street photography Broadway between 3rd and 7th and the Toy District in Skid Row are fun. Wouldn't do the latter after dark if you aren't familiar with the area.

The LA river just to the east is also a good possibility with nice old concrete bridges at 1rst, 4th, 6th and 7th streets, Lots of graffiti covered rail cars all over the place. There is an access point (gap in the fence) near the east end of the 7th street bridge.

For the most expansive views the San Gabriel Mountains are hard to beat but the Angeles Crest highway is is still closed due to the Station Fire so don't waste your time. A closer alternative is the top of Thomas Street in Lincoln Heights which is really nice at sunrise or sunset this time of year and far less known than any of the many iconic locations in the Hollywood Hills.

As for industry, there is an enormous swath of all types running all the way from downtown to Long Beach along the river but it goes through some rough areas and is so vast that it really isn't very realistic without a good deal of planning and local knowledge.

QT Luong
12-Oct-2010, 15:14
Edwin, where do you go for a view of the skyline with the San Gabriel Mountains behind ?

Edwin Beckenbach
12-Oct-2010, 15:32
Edwin, where do you go for a view of the skyline with the San Gabriel Mountains behind ?

Generally, Baldwin Hills. Specifically, The ridgeline in Kenneth Hahn State Park is where I go. However this requires a very long lens if you want to emphasize the city and mountains. I typically use my 890mm Ronar and a Sinar mounted on two tripods. I've used 300-480mm if there are clouds above the mountains.

There are probably some other locations worth exploring like some of the parking structures at USC which give a view directly north. Of course the mountains would look much smaller relative to the city.

jeroldharter
12-Oct-2010, 15:52
Thanks Edwin.

Richard M. Coda
12-Oct-2010, 16:41

I know... and I really try to avoid taking photographs of things that have been photographed before, especially ad nauseum... but it is such a unique building, and the lines and infinite tones drive me crazy...

jeroldharter
12-Oct-2010, 17:04
Thanks for the advice. But now I have changed my mind. At this point, I plan to go to Palm Springs from which I can go to Joshua Tree and the Salton Sea for day trips.

Richard M. Coda
12-Oct-2010, 17:59
Salton Sea! Another winner!

I hit this place on the way back from my Disney images... same day.

http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com/2008/11/to-explore-strange-new-worlds.html

If you can do both... it will be worth your while.

SW Rick
12-Oct-2010, 18:13
Anza Borrego Desert State Park would also be worth your consideration - not sure if it has ever been photographed though :)

jeroldharter
12-Oct-2010, 18:43
Thanks. I will do a search here for all of those places in the area.

BrianShaw
12-Oct-2010, 19:07
Too bad. I was going to buy you dinner when you were in L.A. ;) Palm Springs too far, too hot, and too "happy" for me. But lots of interesting nature to shoot nearby, as you sem to know already. Have fun!

DavidFisk
12-Oct-2010, 19:43
Pasadena City Hall at night when lit up. It takes a double exposure, first around dusk then after dark to deal with the contrast range.