PDA

View Full Version : iPad Issues with this Forum

William Whitaker
9-Oct-2010, 19:44
At first "New Posts" was sporadic with my iPad and I'd have to go to "Unified View". Now neither one works at all on the iPad. I can't find any settings to reconfigure. And it doesn't matter whether I'm using WiFi or 3G. What gives?

Lachlan 717
9-Oct-2010, 20:04
I get this on my iPhone. Have to go into "Quick Links" and go to "Today's Posts" if Unified doesn't work.

If that doesn't work, I then have to go into "Mark Forums Read"'and go into any old section.

This seems to reboot it...

Royal PITA!

John NYC
9-Oct-2010, 22:07
I have had no issues using "new posts" on my iPad.

William Whitaker
10-Oct-2010, 08:00
So why would it work with yours and not with mine?

Frank_E
10-Oct-2010, 08:23
I read the forum on my iPad
it works but with compromises....

it appears to have the same issues as one (or should I say as I ) experiences
when reading the forum using Safari the standard Mac browser
in other words it appears to not "refresh" correctly
you have to clear your cache each time, which is clearly a pain

I get around the problem by reading the forum on my Mac using Firefox
but I have not looked for a similar "work around" on my iPad
I simply live with the problem

William Whitaker
10-Oct-2010, 09:23
Interesting as I haven't had any difficulties myself reading this forum using Safari on my MacBook.

John NYC
10-Oct-2010, 09:34
I read the forum on my iPad
it works but with compromises....

it appears to have the same issues as one (or should I say as I ) experiences
when reading the forum using Safari the standard Mac browser
in other words it appears to not "refresh" correctly
you have to clear your cache each time, which is clearly a pain

I get around the problem by reading the forum on my Mac using Firefox
but I have not looked for a similar "work around" on my iPad
I simply live with the problem

I have not had to do this either on my iPad or with safari on my Mac. Maybe you are denying cookies or have the setting turned on to erase then every time you shut down?

Lachlan 717
10-Oct-2010, 13:29
This happens around the same time each day for me. I guess it's a time zone thing for me.

Probably something to do with the programme looking at today versus yesterday for updates.

Just my (Ludite) thoughts on this.

Ralph Barker
11-Oct-2010, 07:32
At first "New Posts" was sporadic with my iPad and I'd have to go to "Unified View". Now neither one works at all on the iPad. I can't find any settings to reconfigure. And it doesn't matter whether I'm using WiFi or 3G. What gives?

Sorry you're having problems, Will. I suppose this is what happens when Apple (for whatever reason) decides not to conform to industry standards (what the other 80-90% of the world is doing).

As noted by others, some have gone to using Firefox on their iPad, but for others, using Safari works. I'm not sure what the iPad configuration variables are that results in differing user experiences, though.

Tom did install a "Mobi" skin for mobile devices, which seems to help with iPhones and such. If you want to try that, go to My Settings, Edit Options, and scroll down to the "Skin" drop-down menu.

John NYC
19-Oct-2010, 17:38
I am now having this issue using Safari on both my iPad and my Mac. Weird. It just started for me. Basically, I say say "Mark Forums Read" and then if I click on "Unified View" there will be many posts marked unread, but none when I click "New Posts".

bobwysiwyg
19-Oct-2010, 18:18
I have the same issue running Safari on my Win desktop.

John NYC
20-Oct-2010, 07:13
Now it is working fine again. I am starting to think it is a problem with the forum software and not safari.