PDA

View Full Version : remarkable exhibit in Seattle

Tyler Boley
9-Oct-2010, 09:58
As it gets more difficult to see master works, or even good work, in Seattle this exhibit really stands out. In fact it may be the best showing of B&W prints in the city for years. From a donation by a major collector, the Fred Hutchinson Center is showing works by Ansel Adams, Ilse Bing, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Judy Dater, Stephanie Dinkins, Robert Doisneau, Tina Freeman, Jean Claude Gautrand, Yousuf Karsh, Andre Kertesz, Josef Koudelka, Clarence Laughlin, Robert Mapplethorpe, Stella Simon, Aaron Siskind, Michael A. Smith, W. Eugene Smith, Jerry Uelsmann, Brett Weston, Edward Weston, Max Yavno.
They are in the hallway after the main lobby.

I would recommend anyone in the area drop in and see it. I have been twice, and both times struck by how exposure to this level of work used to be a given, even mandatory, and now it seems so rare and the work so "unusual".

The complete list is here-
http://www.thenewstribune.com/2010/05/31/v-lite/1207126/bellingham-family-donates-world.html

Tyler

Kirk Gittings
9-Oct-2010, 10:00
Wish I could get there some of those artists are rarely seen in exhibition.

Why is this?

As it gets more difficult to see master works, or even good work, in Seattle

Eric James
9-Oct-2010, 10:18
Good tip Tyler.

For those of you traveling to Seattle you may wish to take in the Picasso exhibit at the Seattle Art Museum. It open yesterday and extends through JAN 17th 2011.

http://www.picassoinseattle.org/

Merg Ross
9-Oct-2010, 16:35
Indeed, a very fine collection of photography put together by Mr. Kullman. Wish I lived in the area. Hope it gets good press and is well attended!

Capocheny
9-Oct-2010, 18:25
Hi Tyler,

Thanks for the heads-up... we'll be down to see it for sure. :)

Cheers

DarkroomDan
9-Oct-2010, 19:15
I was on the Fred Hutch campus this past week but did not know about the exhibit. I will make t a point to get back and see it this coming week. Thank you for your post.

Dan

Brian Ellis
10-Oct-2010, 10:41
Thanks Tyler. Do you know how long the exhibit will be up? Also whether it can be seen on weekends? I'd like to drive up to see it and take in some of the other pleasures of Seattle but can't get away until November.

Merg Ross
10-Oct-2010, 13:12
Tyler, thank you for posting this. From what I have been able to learn, the exhibit was installed at the end of May (2010) and viewing hours are 8-5 on weekdays. Could it be that this will be a permanent exhibit? That would be wonderful. From a photo of the installation, the lighting looks much better than the museum caves where so many photographs are exhibited. How was the lighting? A few erroneous dates were noted, perhaps typos.

Drew Wiley
10-Oct-2010, 14:45
Haven't heard of Max Yvano in a long time. He claimed to be a disciple of EW, but his work reminds me more of Minor White.

Merg Ross
10-Oct-2010, 18:52
Haven't heard of Max Yvano in a long time. He claimed to be a disciple of EW, but his work reminds me more of Minor White.

His technique was surely up to EW's standards. I find his work reminiscent of that produced by his contemporary, Homer Page.

Tyler Boley
11-Oct-2010, 09:10
Sorry folks, I have no info other than what I posted, I'm not connected with it in any way. There are pieces presumably from their collection all over the building, it has a somewhat permanent feel. Unfortunately the lighting leaves something to be desired.
Still, the work sings.
As Eric pointed out the Picasso should be great as well.
Tyler

Terry Hayden
13-Oct-2010, 16:48
Would these be in the Arnold Building on Fairview Ave. N.?

Merg Ross
13-Oct-2010, 21:14
Would these be in the Arnold Building on Fairview Ave. N.?

Hi Terry,

Yes, the exhibit is in the Arnold Building. http://www.kuow.org/program.php?id=20387

Hope the Spectrum Art Gallery Auction for 2010 is a grand success!

Best,
Merg

Curt
14-Oct-2010, 17:21
It's on my radar now thank you very much. Looks like a day in Seattle.