PDA

View Full Version : Issue with an old Copal Press No. 0

scorpio516
6-Oct-2010, 07:35
I recently picked up an old Copal Press No. 0 with a tiny, weird 75mm lens in it.

Besides the slow speeds being really slow, my biggest problem right now is mounting it. The shutter release lever is really, really long, and odd shaped!

I'll post some pictures tonight, but basically it looks like it's supposed to go back and interface with something inside a body - almost like it's for a rangefinder I've never heard of. The release exits the shutter as a flat bit of metal and then turns to the back of the shutter. These shutters are about 15mm deep (~5/8"), but this release lever is about 1" long.

Should I cut the release lever? Bend it straight? Should I make some kind of recessed lens board with a column that the lens sits on? Does some one know what it actually is and I should just sell it and get what little I spent on it back? (I spent not very much at all, a little more than a decent dinner, so I'm not out too much if I was hosed on it)

Jim Noel
6-Oct-2010, 08:25
Give the lens a try. If it is any good, cut of the rearward projection and use it. If the lens is no good, junk it.

domaz
6-Oct-2010, 10:01
If you need the shutter I would modify the release lever however you want to get it working. Does the shutter actually have standard #0 threads? You probably aren't going to do much LF with a 75mm unless you want to do macro work- but having a standard #0 means you can pickup some #0 lens cells cheap someday.