PDA

View Full Version : Kostiner Archival Washer Hose Connections

Len Middleton
2-Oct-2010, 14:21
Just recently acquired a Kostiner 16x20 print washer and wanted to sort out the hose connections for it.

The outlet hose from the overflow is fairly obvious, but there are two connections at the bottom, one at the front, the other more toward the rear. One is likely the inlet, and the other is either a second inlet or more likely a drain connection.

If we consider the white square plastic section at the bottom on the front, which one is the inlet and which is the drain? Or are they both inlets?

On another note, I need to repair the overflow, as that is broken, likely from someone trying to drag a washer full of water using the overflow as a handle. Where am I likely to find acrylic cement to put on another piece of plexiglass? Already tried Home Depot and Rona in Canada, next stop is a glass and window shop.

Thanks,

Len

Heroique
2-Oct-2010, 15:37
I have a different washer, but it sounds to me like the “front” lower connection is for intake, and the “back” lower connection is for final drainage (i.e., opened after washing is complete, and prints are removed). Someone else with a Kostiner might help distinguish which one is which. Better, perhaps you can hook her up, turn-on the water, and watch the flow! Nothing like an experiment. Can you post a quick shot of the washer? I’m sure that would attract a definitive answer.

Terence Falk
2-Oct-2010, 16:14
Len-
A few years ago, the white plastic area at the bottom of my Kostiner cracked right at the intake hole (bad design flaw of having you jam the intake hose into the hole instead of screw in) and so I added a few pieces of white plexiglass over each side of the white plastic and used weld-on #16 solvent cement made by IPS Corporation. The pieces of plastic act as an extra support. You can get it at a plastics supply store. Just clean the areas and sand with fine sandpaper before applying. It has worked fine since. Good Luck.

Len Middleton
4-Oct-2010, 10:32
Heroique, if I do not get a suitable answer, I will indeed perform an experiment after I fix the overflow. Otherwise, if I do it before I fix the overflow, it also becomes a test of the basement drainage, and while I expect the drainage should perform adequately, the conseqences are such I would rather not chance it.

Terrence, indeed that sounds like what I am looking for, just need to find a local source for something similar in the west end of Toronto area.

I saw a picture in an old Calumet catelogue, so I will have another look to see which of the two hose connections are the inlet. And look for plastic supply or industrial shops nearby.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Len