PDA

View Full Version : Pentax 645 70mm film back

igore
1-Oct-2010, 07:25
OK !

This will sound stupid, but here goes.:o What is a 70mm film ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/70mm-back-Pentax-645-/200525810767?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2eb0450c4f

Does anybody use it, is it hard to get, what is the format, ...stuff like that.

I did google it by the way, but it seems to me this is more a film for cameras then for photography. But guess I was wrong.

David Aimone
1-Oct-2010, 07:43
Motion Picture film???

Sevo
1-Oct-2010, 08:08
Essentially 60mm with a 35mm alike perforation to each side. Started out as motion picture film, got adopted for aerial applications in the 50's, was frequently proposed as the future photographic format, but never took off in the mainstream. No ready-canned film available any more, except for some aerial b&w - you'd have to re-spool aerial, special order (in quantities big enough to shoot a Hollywood feature) or buy motion picture film ends (where it already was dead, but it seems to have had a bit of a comeback as a taking medium in the current 3D boom).

There are plenty of backs for medium format systems about, as many big catalogue studios used 70mm for bulk production in the eighties - don't pay much, these are worth zilch these days. And watch out that you also get the special cartridges and loader that go with the particular magazine - these tend to have been lost, and without them, the mag may be entirely useless...

darr
1-Oct-2010, 08:16
I used pre-packaged Kodak VPS III for shooting wedding candids back in the 80"s and early 90's. Kodak did sell it that way, but if I remember correctly, I had to special order it from my lab. You could also purchase a loader to load your own cassettes from 100' rolls. I did this after I had purchased enough cassettes through the Kodak pre-packaged ones. I found I could use the cassettes another 5 or so times before the light-traps (velvet) became useless. I do not think I would purchase into these today. I sold all that type of equipment (Hassy 70mm back, cassettes, and 100' film loader) 15+ years ago.

Oren Grad
1-Oct-2010, 08:38
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/58691-ilford-70mm-film-special.html

igore
1-Oct-2010, 09:07
Thanks for such a fast reply. Actually I own 645n, it is just that I have never knew of that format, and was trying to find out weather there is something to look for. Due to the fact that by buying suck a back is not big investment, but getting a film of that type is, I don`t think I will ever go this way.
I was more or less curious to see what that is. I have tried to google it, but did`t find any usefull info, I just said to my self it is better to ask.

So thanks again.