PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Sells Print Trays?

quine
25-Sep-2010, 10:50
No, but they do sell a white rectangular tray with a flat bottom that can hold a 27" x 30" print. It appears to be designed to go under a washing machine or water heater. $20 each. Not as strong or chemical resistant as a high-end print tray, but it's hard to beat the price...

-andrew

ic-racer
25-Sep-2010, 14:26
Here is a picture.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=602128&postcount=5

Eric Rose
25-Sep-2010, 14:27
Doing more, for less.

quine
25-Sep-2010, 15:45
Here is a picture.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=602128&postcount=5

Ah -- great minds think alike. :-)

Nathan Potter
25-Sep-2010, 16:08
Anyone know what they are made of? What kind of plastic that is.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Jim C.
25-Sep-2010, 16:11
Anyone know what they are made of? What kind of plastic that is.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

My guess is polystyrene

Richard M. Coda
25-Sep-2010, 17:21
How deep is it? Looks kinda short. Might lose a lot of chemistry slopping around.

quine
25-Sep-2010, 18:15
How deep is it? Looks kinda short. Might lose a lot of chemistry slopping around.

It's about 2 1/2 inches deep.

ic-racer
25-Sep-2010, 18:45
My plan is to put little plastic spigots on that flat area. This will make emptying the trays easier.

I have not used my big trays yet. I don't think I have any 8x10 negatives that good to print so big yet. In fact, I have some 16x20 I need to finish up first.

Bruce Barlow
26-Sep-2010, 04:28
For all those folks needing to put a darkroom in a bathroom, these look ideal for positioning over the bathtub as a higher surface than leaning over to develop film and prints in trays on the bottom of the tub.

Very cool.

quine
26-Sep-2010, 05:54
My plan is to put little plastic spigots on that flat area. This will make emptying the trays easier.

I have not used my big trays yet. I don't think I have any 8x10 negatives that good to print so big yet. In fact, I have some 16x20 I need to finish up first.

I used one last night for the water bath for some 11x14s. I needed to cut a notch in the top to get the tray siphon to reach the bottom of the tray. The siphon wants to ride up a bit because of the slope of the tray wall, but if you stick a cap from a plastic 35mm film can behind the siphon, it stays put.

I plan to keep using this as my main washing tray. BTW, there is some flex when emptying out the water at the end of a session, but this is fine for me because I'm close to a deep sink. I didn't have any trouble with the water sloshing out.

One note about using these trays on top of a bathtub is that the bottoms aren't as rigid as most other trays I've used, so you might want to consider adding some support underneath. A piece of 1/2" plywood should do the trick...

Cheers,

-andrew

Ron Marshall
26-Sep-2010, 06:53
If they sell enlargers I'd give them a pass!

DeBone75
26-Sep-2010, 07:39
I have a set of about 5 of these I use for 16X20 and 20X24. They work very well. They come with an Threaded/glue adapter nipple for attaching a 1" PVC pipe to, if you wanted to attach a valve. Too big in my opinion. 1/2" would be better. I just use a hand squeeze pump. I find that if I use a brush to agitate, it works best.