PDA

View Full Version : Which 2 of these 3 LF Cameras to Keep?

Richard K.
25-Sep-2010, 07:18
If you could keep only 2 of these 3 cameras, which would you keep and why (assuming you have no other cameras)? I'm just curious to hear people's reasons and I'm considering only format aesthetics for contact printing, not weight, cost, etc. I guess another way of asking this is which 2 formats complement each other best? I may need to make this decision in the near future. Thanks! :)

The formats are WP (6.5" X 8.5"), 5" X 12" and 7" X 11".

John Bowen
25-Sep-2010, 07:50
Richard,

An interesting question.

Were it me, and ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL, I would ditch the WP. Why? Because anything that would fit on WP would fit on the 7x11 (mark the GG for WP size if you must). To me that is an easy decision....

BUT, SINCE ALL THINGS AREN'T EQUAL.... I would also need to consider the availability of film. How easy is it to acquire or cut down each of the sizes? 11x14 could be cut down to 7x11, 8x10 can be cut down to WP, and I guess 11x14 could be cut down to 5x12. This analogy might lead to a different decision. I'm not sure I'd want both of my formats dependant on the availability of 11x14 film. I have to believe 8x10 film will be available long after 11x14 has disappeared. That means keep the WP!

I think I now understand your dilemna....

Jim Galli
25-Sep-2010, 08:37
Yes, we have no banana's.

IF forced to solve this dilemma I would go stark raving mad. I always say the last camera standing would be the 7X11, but typically I only use it once a year or so.

I think you should have a 9X9 back and film holders built. 4 formats is a good square number.

Oren Grad
25-Sep-2010, 08:53
Well, I've owned all three, and it was 5x12 that went.

But that was only because I strongly disliked the particular camera I had. As it happens, I've spent my darkroom time the last couple of weeks printing some 5x12 negatives I hadn't gotten around to back then. I kind of miss having the format.

IOW, glad to be of help. :p

Richard K.
25-Sep-2010, 10:33
Thanks Jim and Oren, thanks a lot...

OK so I should keep all 3 and take out (another) loan to cover the new financial crisis, right?:D

Unfortunately all 3 of mine are beautiful with no faults. Chamonix 7x11 and 5x12 and Ebony WP. Here's the 7x11 kit (the other 2 are similarly beautiful - now you see why this would be a difficlut choice had I not been convinced by Jim and Oren to take out a loan instead to cover my sons' University beer money :) ):

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn15/RichardK47/7x11-2.jpg

John Bowen
25-Sep-2010, 10:43
Richard,

This additional information makes the decision MUCH, MUCH easier......

Keep the cameras and sell the kid!

Richard K.
25-Sep-2010, 10:47
Richard,

This additional information makes the decision MUCH, MUCH easier......

LOL..hmmm...wonder how many cameras I could get for them?!?:rolleyes: :D

Oren Grad
25-Sep-2010, 10:48
Sell the beer!

"Complement each other best" is difficult to say in the abstract. It depends what aspect you think needs complementing. If you were putting together a show, I think WP and 5x12 would mix better because they're closer in overall picture area. OTOH, 7x11 feels distinctly larger than the other two, so if you want to have something small for subjects that feel small and something large for subjects that feel large...

If I had to cut back, WP would be the last one standing.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
25-Sep-2010, 10:49
Make your son earn his own beer money! That what they call responsible parenting.

David Karp
25-Sep-2010, 10:54
Wow, that is a nice set of cameras!

I am glad that I don't have to make this choice.`

Richard K.
25-Sep-2010, 12:13
Make your son earn his own beer money! That what they call responsible parenting.

Point taken and I agree totally. I was of course kidding that it was for beer - you know how expensive wide screen TVs and cars are...

kidding...just kidding....

Richard K.
25-Sep-2010, 12:17
Sell the beer!

"Complement each other best" is difficult to say in the abstract. It depends what aspect you think needs complementing. If you were putting together a show, I think WP and 5x12 would mix better because they're closer in overall picture area.

My thinking exactly!

||||||||||||||||||||||||
If I had to cut back, WP would be the last one standing.

Again, my thinking exactly!

Hopefully I won't have to sell any for a while...

Brian C. Miller
26-Sep-2010, 03:40
When I was down a couple of weeks ago at Glazer's, I saw Kodak 5x12 film, and I wondered, "what camera takes that?" Now I know.

eddie
26-Sep-2010, 05:47
sucks to be you richard......i do not mean your tough decision on what camera to sell, i mean having kids and all that cause you to maybe sell a camera.

the lesson i learned here is NOT to have any kids....then i can buy and KEEP all my toys, cars, guns, houses, vacations etc etc.....:)

thanks for reminding me.

eddie.

ps. send me the 5x12. sounds like a suckie format but i would love to try it...oh! do not forget the film either. thx

Diane Maher
27-Sep-2010, 10:12
I would choose the WP and the 5x12. But that is because I already have those two along with an 8x10.

Richard K.
27-Sep-2010, 13:19
When I was down a couple of weeks ago at Glazer's, I saw Kodak 5x12 film, and I wondered, "what camera takes that?" Now I know.

Really?!? Which Kodak 5x12 film?? :)

Richard K.
27-Sep-2010, 13:21
sucks to be you richard......i do not mean your tough decision on what camera to sell, i mean having kids and all that cause you to maybe sell a camera.

the lesson i learned here is NOT to have any kids....then i can buy and KEEP all my toys, cars, guns, houses, vacations etc etc.....:)

thanks for reminding me.

eddie.

ps. send me the 5x12. sounds like a suckie format but i would love to try it...oh! do not forget the film either. thx

It's on its way Eddie...well, something is on its way...don't let the ticking of the box bother you....:eek:

Richard K.
27-Sep-2010, 13:23
I would choose the WP and the 5x12. But that is because I already have those two along with an 8x10.

I think that those 2 out of 3 go well together on a wall etc...

Sirius Glass
27-Sep-2010, 13:45

I would go with that. You can always get a woman pregnant, at least for a while.

No, Siriusly, I understand you situation. I have been there. If possible, see if you can hold on to all three, [and the kid]. This Baby Bush Great Depression will not last forever and then you would find yourself trying to buy what you once had.

Steve

Daniel Stone
28-Sep-2010, 07:56
KODAK 5X12 FILM? which emulsion?

-Dan

Brian C. Miller
28-Sep-2010, 08:20
Yes, it was Kodak. Little else comes in yellow boxes in the film fridge. I read the size on it and saw "5x12". There were two boxes.

I don't remember which emulsion. Tri-X? Try "info @ glazers.com" and ask someone to look in the film fridge.

Oren Grad
28-Sep-2010, 08:57
Glazers was the aggregator for a series of special cuts of TMY2 a while back. I don't recall if they got enough orders to go ahead with 5x12. They have participated in the Ilford annual program.

Michael Roberts
10-Oct-2010, 14:23
Richard, have you tried approaching this the other way, i.e., if you had to choose one to keep, which one would you choose? Once you decide that, is the choice any more clear between the next two? For myself, I would keep the 7x11 and, if your 7x11 allows you to reverse the back, I'd get an 8x10 back and 4x10 splitters. One camera, two backs and holders, three formats (five if you get 5x8 splitters and a 4x5 reducing back). If you want to shoot WP, you could also use a reducing back.