PDA

View Full Version : Ink Smearing, trailing edge of Harman on Epson

Frank Petronio
24-Sep-2010, 17:22
Trying that new Harman Pro Gloss Baryta that is replacing FB AI Gloss, same Epson set-up, but I'm getting trailing edge ink smears as the print exits. Could it be more "slippery" than the older good paper? Or I can't print as close to the margins as with the good paper?

It feels to be about the same gloss so I don't know. Any ideas?

BarryS
24-Sep-2010, 18:42
It sounds like you might be experiencing some head strikes due to some addition curl in the paper. You can try raising the head height in the driver or carefully reverse curling the paper to flatten it.

Jeffrey Sipress
24-Sep-2010, 19:05
Oh, man, I've been through that. I finally fixed it by aligning the heads, and using the 'no roller' option, along with wide gap and slow cut, in the printer setup menus.

Frank Petronio
24-Sep-2010, 19:16
It's that G@#$%&%#$#!* HARMAN f-ing paper.

Peter De Smidt
24-Sep-2010, 20:01
Be very careful. I tried Ilford ...Gold...whatever, and I had the same experience. Shortly there after, I never got a clear nozzle check again. I believe that the head strikes damaged the print head on my printer.

ljsegil
26-Sep-2010, 08:25
Try contacting Epson support. They replaced my original 3800 because of similar problems. New one works just peachy, but I always use the wide setting for the platten gap and 4-6 for the paper thickness. No strikes or streaking that my feeble eyes can detect.
Larry

Frank Petronio
26-Sep-2010, 08:45
I think it's paper curl, looking at the new Harman stuff it all has more curl than all the other papers I have or had. It feels more cardboard-like than the old FB-AI. Seems to print fine and will frame up and look pretty much identical but I'm turned off of Harman for good now, I will never buy another Ilford/Harman product after they discontinued the old FB-AI without warning and they mis-cut several boxes of HP-5 sheet film a few years ago. Their quality control just isn't there, at least for what they are charging for this paper.

I'll be looking for a substitute for the Harman FB-AI Gloss....