PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Oviedo,Spain

Marcial
20-Sep-2010, 16:39
Hi all,
After more than 30 years with 35 mm and medium format (6x7) and thanks to digital, I jumped into Large Format.
Apart from a fairly well equiped darkroom, my LF gear reduces to Linhof master technika + Rodenstock sironar N 150 mm + some small stuff
I am very happy with the camera and not so much with the lens.
During the last months I've got the worst photos in decades. I hope things change with much practice and some help.

Marcial

Richard K.
20-Sep-2010, 20:12
Welcome to the forum, Marcial. :) Two questions...how did digital help you move to large format? Why are you unhappy with the Rodenstock 150? Should be a fine lens...

Vick Vickery
20-Sep-2010, 21:13
Welcome to group therepy, Marcial! :) My first thought was the same as Richard's...a Sironar 150mm should be a fine lens. You might think about having it CLA'ed...the whole rig, not just the shutter...and I'd bet it'd end up as a favorite lens. Maybe you just need to get used to LF...it takes a lot more time and patience in set-up and composition. Hope you have a good time with the Technika!

Marcial
21-Sep-2010, 06:56
Thanks for the welcome.
I bought all my LF equipment, LPL 7452 enlarger, the Technika and the lens (all in excellent condition and at very good prices) to professionals moving to digital. A few years ago I couldn't even dream of having all that stuff.
In relation to the Rodenstock 150mm, the lens works fine. But I feel a bit unconfortable with that focal length. Most of the time I feel I need either a 120 mm (if such a thing exists) or, in other cases, a 210 mm. I also note a slight vignetting with some camera movements.
At any case, I do not blame the equipment for some of the bad results. It is my fault. But it is not disaapointing. I know it is a matter of practice and the truth is that I am having great fun experimenting films and developers and practising composition and camera movements.
For example, I had to shot quite a few sheets to realize that TXP 320 is not the same as TriX 400 for medium format or 35 mm. TXP 320 in sheets seems to me a bit unpredictable and with different tonal rendition. But I like that beast. Also I had to find the best development method for me (tray, JOBO, tank).

Marcial

Ramiro Elena
21-Sep-2010, 07:08
Hola Marcial, give us a shout in case you need help from the peninsula.

Vick Vickery
21-Sep-2010, 09:37
Marcial, a lot of us don't use a "normal" focal length lens all that much, but its still a good place to start. For 4x5, I use (not in order of frequency) 65mm, 90mm, 135mm, 165mm. 215mm, 24omm, 275mm, 350mm, and 462mm (some of those are convertible lens groups) and like them all for use when the shot I want demands a particular length. Wait a little while...you'll probably end up with a full selection of focal length lenses to choose from, just like with your smaller cameras! :)

Scott Davis
21-Sep-2010, 11:29
Marcial-

Bienvenidos al foro. There is such a thing as a 120mm lens for 4x5 - Nikon made a 120mm Macro lens that will just barely cover 4x5 at infinity focus, but covers 5x7 and more at 1:1. Another great lens in that range is the Goerz American Optical 4 3/8" (110mm) F8 wide-angle Dagor, if you can find one. I have one and I LOVE it.

Oswaldo
21-Oct-2010, 11:58
hi,
i am new one in this site and i am happy to join us i am share very good info
to all of u this is my wedding my wedding is soon so u can anyone help me
for my wedding photography if i am help this ,this is right for me anyone plz sujj me.
---------------
bridal (http://www.weddingbridaltips.com)