PDA

View Full Version : D5500 carriers. Regular Omega D's work?

SeanEsopenko
20-Sep-2010, 14:40
I just picked up a D5500 with a universal B&W head, schneider 80mm, nikkor 150mm, 20x20 inch easel, digital timer and other goodies for $175 CAD woot!

It came with carriers for 6x6 and 4x5 but I need to find carriers for 35mm and 6x9. I've googled a bit and I can't find out for sure if the regular D carriers work for it or not. Any advice?

edit: The negative carriers don't look like these ones: http://www.seanesopenko.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/d5500negcarriers.jpg. They're separate assemblies for each size and spin around on the carrier holder.

erie patsellis
20-Sep-2010, 17:14
Sean, i have an adapter, don't know the origins of it, it came with mine. My guess would be KHB would have it, as well as Glennview.

I have also made an adapter that allows me to use 23C carriers as well, as I have an abundance of those. Pretty simple to make, if you are handy with a router.

erie

ic-racer
20-Sep-2010, 19:04
The "standard" D5500 uses a spring-loaded cartridge with a slot into which special D5500-only negative carriers fit. For good or bad. Since they are useless on the thousands of other Omegas, new D5500 carriers can sometimes be obtained for cheap.

However, there was also an adapter so a 'standard' D-style head could fit on the D5500 chassis. That adapter has a lever and a lifting mechanism, allowing the 'standard' Omega carriers to be used.

erie patsellis
20-Sep-2010, 20:58
However, there was also an adapter so a 'standard' D-style head could fit on the D5500 chassis. That adapter has a lever and a lifting mechanism, allowing the 'standard' Omega carriers to be used.

Which is the flavor I have, with a Super Dichro head on it, and the high lift mechanism. I can check my files tomorrow and hopefully find the catalog numbers for the high lift aseembly and other odds and ends.

Robert Perrin
21-Sep-2010, 11:51
Sean, do you have the Pro-Lab II? It used the D5500 chassis but D5 carriers. I would assume that separate carriers that spin around would be for that version. If not and and you're using the D5500 type (like your picture) and you can't get converted for the regular omega carriers let me know. I've got some D5500 type. Carrier holder D holds 6x9 to 4x5 sizes and C holds up to 6x7 so you should already have both of those. There's another carrier for film strips, so you might not have that one. They're fairly heavy, especially with a carrier, so shipping to Canada might be high but except for shipping if it turns out that you need the D5500 type and can't find them nearby I'm pretty sure I've got a 6x9 mask you could have for $10; the 35mm mask would be $10 but if you need the carrier too, it'd add another $20.

SeanEsopenko
22-Sep-2010, 10:40
Here's a photo of what I have:
http://www.seanesopenko.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/IMG_6009.jpg

It sounds like I may have a Pro-Lab II with the D5500 chassis. There is a lever and lifting mechanism and no "spring loaded cartridge". I lift the condensor & head with the lever and put the carrier in then lower it on the carrier.

So is the "carrier" the part that holds the "masks"? For instance, when loading in a 4x5 sheet there are three pieces to the whole "carrier" assembly. I sandwich the negative between two separate pieces of metal. One has small pins that guide into holes on the other one. Then this rests inside a carrier with guides on the bottom that allow it to spin in place underneath the lift assembly.

So it sounds like I have a Pro-Lab II with the D5500 chassis. So then if I want to enlarge 35mm film I'll need a separate carrier & mask set but I won't have to unscrew and change any parts on the enlarger?

ic-racer
22-Sep-2010, 13:17
Can you post a picture of the 3 pieces of your 'carrier' assembly?

SeanEsopenko
22-Sep-2010, 13:18
Can you post a picture of the 3 pieces of your 'carrier' assembly?

When I get home I'll do that. That probably would have made things WAY easier for everyone...