PDA

View Full Version : Help ID Mystery Shutter

joselsgil
19-Sep-2010, 00:14
I have an usual shutter that I got off ebay. It came with a 7 1/2 inch f6.3 Raptar Wolly lens. I was the only bidder, so I paid about $1 for the lens and board. Shipping was more expensive.

This is the shutter. Any guesses as to what it is?

Glenn Thoreson
19-Sep-2010, 19:06
I know exactly what it is. It's the lens and electric "Packard" style shutter off an old Beatty-Coleman long roll 70mm camera. These were used for school portraits, etc. You could get several hundred shots to a roll of film. The cameras usually go for scrap price. The lenses were good to excellent, depending on what they were. That Raptar should be a very good user and will cover 4X5 with some room for movements. The shutter is useless outside a studio setting . It has a couple of flash sync switches but requires 110 Volts AC to operate it. Speed is somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/50 sec.

joselsgil
20-Sep-2010, 12:52
Glen,

Thanks for the info. I would have never guessed what it was used for. I have two of the Beatty-Coleman 70mm film holders, heavy sturdy pieces of aluminum, so all I need is a portrait LF camera that they will fit on. Maybe modify a Crown Graphic? Just a thought.

Jose