PDA

View Full Version : Quick, Need Help Identifying Tripod

tcycles710
14-Sep-2010, 10:25
If anyone could please identify which models this tripod and head are (gitzo) in the next two hours I would greatly appreciate it. The seller doesn't know what it is but I've made an appointment to check it out thinking that it might be just what I'm looking for. Need to know ASAP before I either a.) buy something I don't need or b.) miss out on a great opportunity

I tried to upload photos, but can't from iPhone. So here's the craigslist link:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pho/1953327414.html

as always, thanks for your help, Tyler

PS 207 is not the model number, not sure what that refers to?

Jeff Conrad
14-Sep-2010, 12:00
Actually, 207 was a valid model number. I don't have a picture, and I don't think I've ever seen one, but the specs are

Sections: 4
Height range: 14" to 56"
Folded length: 16"
Weight: 4.5 lb

The two-piece column, which I had on a 2 Series whose model number I can't remember (though its legs were the same as a 212), seems a bit unusual for a non-performance (i.e., no leg spreading) model.

The head looks like a 275 Ball 2 (for Series 2 legs).

John Koehrer
14-Sep-2010, 15:32
It doesn't have a two piece column, it's the crank column which is slightly shorter and very smooth. It's also not removable.

Jeff Conrad
14-Sep-2010, 16:20
It actually is a two-piece column (I have one just like it in my hand as I write this); there's a short rapid (non-geared) column attached to the bottom of the geared ("Cremaillere") section. On a normal Cremaillere column, the rack ends about 6 inches from the bottom; note that on this one, the rack extends to the bottom of the upper column. To maintain stability at full column extension, the bottom piece must remain attached. If the bottom piece is removed, the tripod can be set lower without the column hitting the ground. Because the 207 doesn't include leg spreading, the only benefit is being able to remove the column from the top with the platform and head still attached.

A normal Cremaillere column is removable and reversible; however, the platform must be removed and the column withdrawn from the bottom; on this one, it appears that the column can be withdrawn from the top and reversed once the bottom piece is removed (I'm assuming the alignment groove opposite the rack is open all the way to the bottom like the one I have in front of me). Unless the bottom piece has a flat that's facing away from the camera, it can't be used as a short column on a Cremaillere tripod. Of course, without leg spreading, this is of little consequence.

One thing to note when pulling a Cremaillere column: it's tricky to reinstall it in the normal position and have the crank pointing down so that it folds neatly against the leg when collapsing the tripod. The process is made easier if the column is withdrawn slowly and the position of the crank noted--you then just use the same position when reinserting the column.

Of course, if you have no need to reverse the column, none of this much matters.

tcycles710
17-Sep-2010, 08:36
thanks very much for your responses. this forum is always such a tremendous help.

regards,
Tyler.