PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Photography

KyledeC
27-Aug-2010, 14:31
So I recently had my work chosen for exhibition. I have shown my photography in galleries before, but nothing like this. I plan to show both black and white and color photographs, all printed as 11x14's and framed and matted. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on how I should price my images. I have done some reading on this subject, and I believe it is pretty difficult. Please check out my work at www.kyledeclerckphotography.blogspot.com for an idea of what my photography looks like.

Advice is greatly appreciated!
Kyle

QT Luong
27-Aug-2010, 18:56
Using the names you are familiar with, surf around the internet for landscape photographers who exhibit in galleries (not art shows), see how much they price, think about adjustments you need to make considering factors such as reputations, editions. Your gallery can also provide guidance.

KyledeC
28-Aug-2010, 13:38
Thank you very much! I am definitely going to look into that. I really appreciate you help!

Jim Noel
28-Aug-2010, 15:53
Your gallery owner should be able to tell you what they expect to be able to sell your images for. They are the best judge because they know what is selling and what is not and how much their traffic will bear. Work that might sell for $500 in one space may brign only $125 in another, or vice versa.

paulr
28-Aug-2010, 16:34
Definitely talk to the gallery. Different markets have different pricing structures and expectations. One market will be different from another by a factor of 20.

Do other research, also, but concentrate on photographers selling to the same market as you.