PDA

View Full Version : Moving to DC area

Tim Meisburger
13-Aug-2010, 19:36
Hello folks. I'm not new to the forum, but am moving from Bangkok to Falls Church, VA on August 26, so thought I would introduce myself to that community. I was actually born and raised in northern va, but have not lived there for twenty-odd years, so this is both a homecoming and a foreign posting in a strange and mysterious place.

I shoot mostly 4x5, which I took up two years ago on my fiftieth birthday. Since then I have also taken up black and white film development and printing (including occasionally smaller formats). All of this is self-taught from books or the internet, as LF and film resources in Southeast Asia are very thin. I occasionally shoot an old XA (I have two)--and consider it probably the best 35mm camera ever made, but find I only use it when carrying the 4x5 is simply too much hassle (which is seldom).

In DC I hope to be able to set up a small studio in my basement, and play more with artificial light. Also, I hope to have the opportunity sometime to take a class or workshop in (wet) printing, as I feel I could learn a lot just watching someone that knew what they were doing in a darkroom.

I will shoot more or less anything. I got interested in LF for landscapes--to get the detail missing from my enlargements of 35mm, but find I don't spend that much time in lovely environments, so also enjoy portraits and a bit of architecture. In DC I don't have much interest in monuments, but could see a trip to the national cathedral might be fun. You also might find me at Great Falls (where I used to rock climb in my youth), or perhaps fly fishing in the upper reaches of the Potomac.

Cheer, Tim

Vick Vickery
13-Aug-2010, 20:43
Welcome to group therepy! And welcome back to the U.S.A. The Washington area had many interesting subjects for a photographer with an architectural bent, and lovely scenic landscape and seascape areas within an easy drive, so you should be able to fill your time when not working at your job.

Walter Calahan
14-Aug-2010, 03:24
Welcome back to the DC area. You'll notice a huge change from 20 years ago.

There are many LF shooting in the area. I also suggest joining a local northern VA camera club. There are many very active gathering of photographers in those clubs.

Tim Meisburger
14-Aug-2010, 19:54
Thanks Vick and Walter. Looking forward to meeting other LF photographers, and mingling with the natives...

Best, Tim

BarryS
14-Aug-2010, 22:10
Hi Tim-

We have an informal large format/alt-process group that meets monthly. We bring in recent work, demo alt processes, and occasionally go out shooting. If you send me a PM with your email, we'll add you to the list.

Tim Meisburger
15-Aug-2010, 02:31
Thanks Barry. PM on the way!

Sirius Glass
15-Aug-2010, 06:18
Not much change in 40 years either. I moved back for a job in this wonderful economy. I am in Reston. PM me when you are back.

Steve

eddie
15-Aug-2010, 08:55
NOOOOOOO! do not do it stay in bangkok!

i wish i had stayed there.......

maybe we will meet up and compare our stories of thailand and speak some thai.....

eddie

BradS
15-Aug-2010, 18:30
Hi again Tim. Hope it all works out for you.

Brad.

Tim Meisburger
16-Aug-2010, 21:31
Well Eddie, its only a year. It would be great to meet you, but I won't be speaking much Thai. After four years working around the region from here, I finally had enough work in Thailand to justify learning the language, so I signed up for lessons that were to start on my return from the Scandinavian holiday, and it is on the holiday that I got the call. So, maybe next time round.

Give me a shout if you get down round DC way. How far are you from the city?

Cheers, Tim

Tim Meisburger
16-Aug-2010, 21:33
Thanks Brad. I hope it works out too (we are all a bit nervous). Perhaps I'll get back to San Francisco sometime.

Best, Tim

Jim Rhoades
17-Aug-2010, 06:57
Hi Tim, I'm just a bit (50 min.)west of you and about five miles north of Front Royal. I've been looking for L/F film shooters around here and all I find are digital clubs. Shoot me a PM when your moved in, unpacked and ready to relax. I just put in a nice darkroom and small studio in my basement. I shoot medium format and up to 8x10. Printing B&W silver and Pt/Pd.

Jim Rhoades

Tim Meisburger
17-Aug-2010, 07:09
Great Jim. I'll send you a note when I get settled in. I'm always up for a trip out towards the mountains, and I would love to get a chance to see some platinum printing.

Best, Tim

Scott Davis
17-Aug-2010, 09:24
Tim-

Welcome to DC. Depending on what kind of wet darkroom printing you want to do, I can help you down the garden path. I'm still set up for silver printing, but I do almost exclusively alt process work (platinum/palladium and gum bichromate). I'm also part of a studio/workshop space where we teach wet darkroom practices. Once you get settled in, let me know and we'll get you connected to the LF community here in DC.