PDA

View Full Version : Big lens, little camera

AgentX
10-Aug-2010, 09:19
So, I am waiting on delivery of a Toyo 45A field. (back into LF after many years away...) I planned on shooting with both a moderate-wide and a moderate-long (200-250mm) lens. I have a Kodak Ektar 10" from an old 8x10 setup I'd like to use for my moderate-wide.

Question is, will this mount comfortably on the front of a 4x5 Toyo? The Acme #4 shutter is BIG. If not, looks like I'll have to track down a 203mm or 8.5" Commercial Ektar or similar.

Just wanted to check if this was known to be a no-go before I went ahead and had the lens mounted in anticipation of the camera arriving.

MD

scorpio516
10-Aug-2010, 11:43
I'd say not comfortably.

A Toyo Field lens board is 110mm x 110mm
An Ilex Acme #4 is 4.025" diameter, unless it's a dialset shutter (http://www.skgrimes.com/ilex/index.htm)

4.025" = 102.2mm.
Less than 8mm on each side of the shutter is way too close for my comfort

Toyon
10-Aug-2010, 12:06
No problem at all, as long as it fits on the lensboard, no worries. It may interfere with fall, but that's minor. A very robust camera. A 10" is not a "moderate wide" on that camera - moderately long.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
10-Aug-2010, 12:11
An Acme no. 4 shutter will fit on a Toyo lensboard.

AgentX
10-Aug-2010, 13:17
No problem at all, as long as it fits on the lensboard, no worries. It may interfere with fall, but that's minor. A very robust camera. A 10" is not a "moderate wide" on that camera - moderately long.

oops, sorry, thanks...I meant moderate-long; I'd have gotten a 203 Ektar or one of the various 210mm models if I was getting something specifically for 4x5, but it seems silly to do so if I already have a quality 250mm sitting here in hand.

An Acme no. 4 shutter will fit on a Toyo lensboard.

Though I can see the lens will mount on the board, there's the matter of the shutter body itself being significantly larger than the flange. I was just hoping that nothing on the camera (knobs, levers, standards) would interfere with the lens in use, or that the lens wouldn't block access to some feature of the camera. Hard for me to tell without the camera here. (I do have some lensboards...)

I can live without fall, if that's the sole problem...thanks!

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
10-Aug-2010, 13:42
...I was just hoping that nothing on the camera (knobs, levers, standards) would interfere with the lens in use, or that the lens wouldn't block access to some feature of the camera. Hard for me to tell without the camera here. (I do have some lensboards...)...

I can't help with that, as I used mine on a Canham, not a Toyo.

drew.saunders
10-Aug-2010, 13:53
The Fuji 250/6.3 fits into a #1 shutter, and isn't all that huge. Since it has less coverage than the 6.7 version, it's often more affordable used. I have one and it works just fine on the front of my Ebony, which uses a slightly smaller lensboard than your Toyo.

JBAphoto
14-Aug-2010, 19:42
The easiest way is to make an extending box, tube or block to push the lens slightly forward of the front of the panel - Like the way Linhof has mounted the Voigtlander "Linhof" 24cm Heliar

The advantage of this arrangement is that a lens mounted in this way will also fit a Sinar + Sinar shutter for studio work

I have a pic on http://www.jbaphoto.com.au/equipmentprocess.html of a Cooke 380mm Telephoto on a on a Sinar with a Jarrah block to push it forward - The same arrangement will make a long lens work more comfortably on a Speed Graphic with a working shutter - However, I have abandoned my SGraphic project as for LS work I need full movements - It now sits on a shelf in the living room looking not quite as pretty as the Chinese ceramics it is near

(I have just tried to pull in the images of the 24cm Heliar and Cooke Telephoto from my computer, but the procedure is beyond my ability - Which is why I still work in the darkroom and get sent there by my wife when the foul language directed at this computer gets too much - I come out after performing a good silver jelly print with an almost halo)

Drew Bedo
15-Aug-2010, 06:31
I have a 210mm 5.6 Schneider in a copal #1 that will meet your needs. It is the older convertable design: Remove the rear elements and it becomes an f12/350mm. It was CLAd this spring.

AgentX
15-Aug-2010, 11:26
The easiest way is to make an extending box, tube or block to push the lens slightly forward of the front of the panel - Like the way Linhof has mounted the Voigtlander "Linhof" 24cm Heliar

I don't think it'll be necessary with this after some study and consideration, but I will keep the idea in mind...thanks! Certainly won't be using any sort of auxiliary shutter, Sinar or otherwise...just a simple field camera setup with shutter in lens.

Drew, thanks for the offer but my lens is already on the way to SK Grimes to be mounted. If it doesn't work out I may contact you.