PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor-W 135mm 5.6?

filmrules
9-Aug-2010, 18:58
I'm new at LF. I have a Linhof Technika III Version V 4x5 camera. I have two lenses, but one has shutter problems. So, the other lens is a Nikkor-W 135mm/5.6. Copal O shutter. My question is...is this a decent lens to learn with? Thanks in advance.

Kevin Crisp
9-Aug-2010, 19:06
The 135 is a very high quality lens, a modest wide angle for 4X5. Many people use that lens in their kit the most. It is a very good lens for learning LF.

Its excess image circle is not huge, meaning you need to be sure you don't use too much front rise, for example, and get dark corners.

Gem Singer
9-Aug-2010, 19:13
Not only a decent lens to learn with, but an great lens for landscape and general photography.

You can build an entire set of lenses for the 4x5 format around the "wide-normal" 135mm. It's a good focal length for a starter lens.

Nikon/Nikkor lenses are highly respected for their sharpness and contrast.

Brian Ellis
9-Aug-2010, 20:01
An excellent lens. I traded mine in for a 135mm Sironar-S and regretted it. Not that the Sironar-S wasn't a great lens but for me it wasn't worth the difference in price.

evan clarke
10-Aug-2010, 05:42
Sometimes this lens doen't get the credit it deserves, it is fantastic...EC

shadowleaves
10-Aug-2010, 06:53
A great lens with modern optical design and advanced coating, it is one of my favorite lense in large format. Super sharp, resisting flare well, and reproducing great colors. The common 52mm filter size is a big plus as well.