PDA

View Full Version : capture one pro

tlitody
29-Jul-2010, 05:46
Not strictly a LF question but I guess if anyone is using digital backs on LF then it is.

Why is capture one pro so highly rated? I've heard that it has great raw conversion but apart from that why is it so good compared to the likes of lightroom or PS or other image editing tools?

darr
29-Jul-2010, 07:34
I use LR, PS and C1 pro. Lightroom is where my catalog lies and where I do most of my on-the-fly adjustments. PS is where I do my heavier adjustments, green screen mask overs (with EZ Mask plug-in) and final finishing when necessary.

I received a copy of C1 (non pro) when I purchased my P45 back. After using some of their tools (i.e., focus mask) and their raw conversion and batch processing abilities with my P45 files, I found nothing compares especially if you shoot portraits (skin tones).

I, like other MF digital back shooters, experience the phenomenon of color shift (areas of red or green color cast) when shooting with wide angle lenses and/or use shift/rise/fall with the P45. This is caused by the digital sensor and steep rays of light and not a malfunction of the lens. C1 does an excellent job of helping you adjust this through a step in their work-flow where you can implement stock LCC files (lens cast correction) that you created yourself or received from a lens manufacture. Shooting MF digital is a whole different ball game!

Kind regards,
Darr

tlitody
29-Jul-2010, 07:54
Thanks that is useful info.