PDA

View Full Version : wireless flash synch for graflex shutter

miss_emma_jade
28-Jul-2010, 16:14
ive been thinking about this a while. Im fitting an "electronic" flash synch socket to my graflex (x) lensboard, but ideally i would love a neat, lightweight wireless unit to fire an external flashgun/softbox. Has anyooe done this? Any ideas? Emma.

domaz
28-Jul-2010, 16:17
Are you talking about the focal plane shutter or leaf shutter? I'm sure the leaf shutter->X Sync->wireless can be done with some kind of adapter.

miss_emma_jade
28-Jul-2010, 16:23
probably just the leaf shutter. I can plug a standard flash gun cable into the lensboard now. Having trouble finding a unit that isnt hotshoe mount tho

Dan Fromm
29-Jul-2010, 01:29
There are PC-to-hotshoe adapters, also bipost (if that's what y'r shutter has) to PC

rdenney
29-Jul-2010, 05:51
Most of the standard Graflex shutters came with bipost flash terminals. Paramount makes adapters to convert these to the PC plug used by modern flashes. And they might also make a bipost-to-hot shoe adapter, which can be mounted on an accessory shoe screwed to the top of the case. That would allow mounting a conventional modern transmitter.

The rear focal-plane shutter cannot be used with electronic flash, because the shutter is never fully open. The only flash usable with those are bulbs designed for focal-plane shutters, which have a long enough burn to expose the whole negative as the curtain opening traverses the entire frame. Stick with the front shutter for flash use.

Rick "also needing a couple of those bipost adapters" Denney

Brian Stein
1-Aug-2010, 05:45
If you have a standard PC connector on your shutter head over to ebay and buy a pc cord with hotshoe of which there are a bunch (something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Hotshoe-Flash-Trigger-5m-PC-Sync-Cord-PT-04-100-Fire-/270520789142?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item3efc4ba896 usual disclaimer). You can buy one of these in your local camera store *if* they keep such stuff anymore for about A$25.

You can then either: stick your strobe straight on the shoe, or buy a wireless transmitter. If you want to know about hooking up strobes etc I recommend http://strobist.blogspot.com/ highly.

gdavis
7-Aug-2010, 10:19
Not sure I see the dilemma here but why not just a PC -> 1/8" jack cable + pocket wizard? The pocket wizards have hot shoe mounts but you don't have to mount it on a hot shoe (or adapter), you can just use the 1/8" jack input.

Ash
7-Aug-2010, 12:25
Once you've decided on your graflex-to-pc sync issue, I recommend Microsync over Pocket Wizard. Way cheaper, but very good.