PDA

View Full Version : Focusing Petzvals

AgentX
24-Jul-2010, 11:29
Just bought a Petzval, but upon receipt found the focusing knob does not engage. (Not disclosed by seller, but that's another story...)

Can you effectively focus these lenses by adjusting lens-focal plane distance instead?

Thanks,

MD

Steven Tribe
24-Jul-2010, 12:01
There should be no problem in focusing by changing the lens/focal plane distance by using the bellows etc. The rather primitive rack and pinion system is very sensitive to wear and removal of the brass on the track. It is not rocket science to remove the pinion (2 or 4 screws) - or even the detachable rack (usually 2 screws). The loose rack can be brought nearer the pinion by removing some metal thickness. Sometimes the rack strip is just bent down a bit and straightening is possible of the soft brass. The screws holding the rack in the hole in the barrel are also known to have become loose.

AgentX
24-Jul-2010, 17:29
Fantastic. I'll take off the block that retains the focusing rod and see if I can't possibly file some off of it to bring it all back into contact, but if not, I'm glad to hear it can be focused normally. (Still waiting on a camera so I didn't have an opportunity to try it out myself...)

Thanks!

eddie
25-Jul-2010, 04:38
i very seldom use the focus wheel. and when i do it is just to accommodate a camera that does not have enough bellows.

with bellows cameras nowadays there is really no reason to use the focus wheel on the lenses....i find it very funny when a lens that has a 25 inch focal length has as focus knob.....the old photographers must have had longer arms than us cause i can not reach the dam knob at portrait distance from behind the camera.....:)

AgentX
25-Jul-2010, 05:25
i find it very funny when a lens that has a 25 inch focal length has as focus knob.....the old photographers must have had longer arms than us cause i can not reach the dam knob at portrait distance from behind the camera.....:)

It probably helps when you essentially clamp your subject into a vise before making a portrait...I think they had plenty of time to run between the focus wheel and the groundglass!