PDA

View Full Version : NuArc 26-1K: How to Assess Condition?

Peter York
20-Jul-2010, 16:09
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to pick up a NuArc 26-1K for alt. process work. Since I have never seen or worked with one of these before, I'm not sure how to assess the overall condition of the unit (vacuum, light integrator, etc.).

Do you have any suggestions for assessing the unit's condition? Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank you!

D. Bryant
20-Jul-2010, 20:49
Hi all,

I have the opportunity to pick up a NuArc 26-1K for alt. process work. Since I have never seen or worked with one of these before, I'm not sure how to assess the overall condition of the unit (vacuum, light integrator, etc.).

Do you have any suggestions for assessing the unit's condition? Any and all comments are appreciated. Thank you!

Make sure nothing is visibly broken.

Make sure the vacuum easel works.

Test the unit and make sure it will strike.

If possible, after striking the lamp the first time, see if the integrator produces consistent exposure times.

Warm the lamp up, make an exposure for 10 units. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. And then repeat the exposure of 10 units twice again and compare the two intervals. Hopefully they will be close.

Inspect the lamp for cloudiness which indicates age. A new one is about $50 which you'll probably want to purchase.

Try to pay as little as possiblle, probably no more than $200-$300 for one in good shape.

Don Bryant

Peter York
21-Jul-2010, 16:43
Thanks Don, I will look at the unit soon and follow your steps.

nolindan
21-Jul-2010, 17:14
A bit of cloudiness in the lamp is OK. If it looks like milk-glass or if it has a bulge then the lamp is kaput.

The pump should draw better than 20" of vacuum. If not then there is a vacuum leak or the pump is shot.

Steve Sherman
21-Jul-2010, 18:42
The Nuarc 26 1K is an older and slower version of the newer Nuarc 1K s which uses a metal halide bulb which is much hotter and unfortunately much more expensive. I paid $240 or so for a new bulb for the 26 1Ks.

FWIW

Cheers