PDA

View Full Version : Glove in handling films?

earnwkw
19-Jul-2010, 05:58
Does anyone wear a glove when handling films? What kind of glove is suitable for films handling? I saw some cotton glove made by kodak and hakuba , are they suitable? How about those latex glove used in labs?

Steve Gledhill
19-Jul-2010, 06:41
I don't wear gloves, never found the need to. I've never seen finger prints or greasy smears on my film though of course I always try to handle by the edges. But if you're prone to greasy or sweaty hands then perhaps the protection afforded by gloves would be a good idea.

BrianShaw
19-Jul-2010, 06:45
Me neither.

Brian Ellis
19-Jul-2010, 07:37
Are you asking about unexposed film, exposed film, or both? I've never worn gloves when handling unexposed film, I've never seen a need to. I'm not sure I could use gloves when loading film in holders even if I wanted to. I rely on touch and feel to know where to insert the film and to make sure the film is in the correct slot. Ditto when loading the film in BTZS tubes. As for exposed film, I always wear gloves when processing film.

nolindan
19-Jul-2010, 07:38
When needed, I use Nitrile gloves. Latex ones deteriorate and split before I can finish a box of them. Costco sells Nitrile gloves that are very good and very cheap and you have to buy a 5 year supply but they cost 1/4 of what the drugstore charges.

As a bonus, Nitrile gloves are great if you have to do something ucky with the pipes, gutters, refuse or gift from the household pet. Also good to have on hand for messy jobs like caulking, painting, gluing, lubricating...

Michael Kadillak
19-Jul-2010, 07:39
You can use either one. I use cotton gloves when loading ULF and LF film holders particularly with Efke films and I use BEST nitrile gloves for tray sheet developing.

The only reason that I do not use the nitrile gloves for loading holders is because the nitrile gloves tend to be one shot use when you purchase tight fitting ones for proper dexterity as I do. With my night vision goggle I can load six 8x20 holders in just a few minutes so I save the nitrile gloves for the developing process.

If I was loading only 4x5 or 5x7 that are more "rigid" you could easily keep your fingers off of the emulsion area and accomplish the objective.

Just my $0.02.

Jim Michael
19-Jul-2010, 09:13
The best gloves to use for processed film are nylon. Cotton gloves are more likely to leave lint on the film. Not sure if you can find those any more though. If anyone knows a source I'd like to know.

Gem Singer
19-Jul-2010, 10:24
Wash your hands with soap and water and dry them completely before loading film into holders.

Be sure to handle sheet films only by their edges and notched corners.

No need to wear nitrile or latex gloves, except for tray processing where your fingers will be in the liquid.

Cotton gloves come in handy for handling finished prints while mounting and framing.

cyrus
19-Jul-2010, 10:50
You can just use the cheap plastic gloves used in the food industry.

Paul_C
19-Jul-2010, 11:14
The best gloves to use for processed film are nylon. Cotton gloves are more likely to leave lint on the film. Not sure if you can find those any more though. If anyone knows a source I'd like to know.

I agree. These are the ones I use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=WishList.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=351029&is=REG

J. E. Brown
19-Jul-2010, 14:44
Good discussion.

I use bare hands (properly washed and dried) to load my film. I like the contact of knowing what I am touching in the dark. Of course, I am only touching the edges of the film at this point.

When developing negatives, I have found that the nitrile gloves I use have a powder coating that I have always feared would react with my chemicals. Is that a nonsensical fear? Anyone know anything to the contrary? I use an old fashioned Morse developing system with a light tight box with hangers dunked in D-76...

After developing the negatives, I have used cotton gloves to handle the negatives while I evaluate them (no digital workflow) and I like to be able to hold them directly, not just by the edges. I get clumsy and have been known to fumble them while trying to be delicate. I have noticed that the cotton gloves leave obnoxious pieces of lint behind, a definite nightmare when dust/lint is the enemy. The nylon gloves from B&H look like they may be perfect for handling negatives. Thank you for sharing.

I'll save the cotton ones for final print mounting, spotting, etc.

Best wishes,

-JB

jeroldharter
19-Jul-2010, 16:42
I do both - bare hands for unprocessed film. Latex gloves for handling wet film. And nylon gloves for handling dried film.

Cotton gloves are just fair and more prone to dust than these which are pricey but last forever and can be washed easily:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/stretch-nylon-gloves-sm-med/glazing-tools-supplies/

Jim Michael
19-Jul-2010, 19:53
I'll guess the powder on the nitrile gloves is either talc or newt dust (cornstarch).

Paul, thanks for the pointer to the nylon gloves.

earnwkw
20-Jul-2010, 00:07
thanks all for the info! I got all i need i guess , seems nylon glove is the best solution!
Are all nylon glove washable?

I am currently bare hand in loading holder , just wondering what to wear in dealing developed films.

Richard Mahoney
20-Jul-2010, 02:59
You might also like to add powder free vinyl gloves to your list. I've found that they tend to be stronger than latex but still have enough `feel' for 4x5 loading. At this end of the world a box of 100 costs about $12 (less than 10 USD):

Protec > Medical Gloves > Vinyl Gloves
http://www.protecsolutions.co.nz/Vinyl+Gloves-detail.html?page=0&kw=vinyl+gloves

Best, Richard

eddie
20-Jul-2010, 04:26
i use latex or nitrile gloves when doing any film larger than 4x5. i seem to be able to handle the 4x5 with out getting prints everywhere.

i have noticed prints on some sheets. i put my fingers on the film to get it out of the holder. i gently squeeze the film so it pops up them grab it and pull it free. i found that the finger nail trick kept giving me eyebrow dents on my film.

DanK
24-Jul-2010, 12:04
Personally I prefer not to use gloves - but end up using gloves a good majority of the time. If I have developed film at anytime that day, I'll wear latex gloves loading holders just in case. Rather be on the safe side. I dip and dunk and don't bother while developing negatives, but printing is usually no gloves with test prints, although when I begin to print 'final prints' gloves throughout....again just in case.

Dan

John Powers
24-Jul-2010, 15:19
I use nitrile gloves for developing in pyro even though it is mostly safely away in the Jobo. I started using the one size fits all from Walmart. Invariably these were tight and stretched to capacity. My hands would sweat and I was uncomfortable. My mechanic said that they discovered that gasoline on your hands goes to the liver. (Someone with a medical background is welcome to correct this.) The mechanic buys nitrile gloves at auto parts stores where they offer three sizes. I am much more comfortable in the largest size that move around a bit on my hands. I feel I still have the same sensitivity with more comfort. Just one opinion.

I still use Kodak cotton gloves for handling developed sheet film, final prints and mounting in mats. These were purchased by the dozen from B&H years ago and washed many times. I haven’t noticed lint, but thank you for the tip. I will switch to nylon when these are worn out or at the first sight of lint.

John