PDA

View Full Version : Identifying an old tripod

Jim C.
11-Jul-2010, 13:12
These legs came with a 8x10 Kodak 2D I'm restoring, and I haven't the foggiest notion
what make it is since it did not have the top plate ( which I surmise would have a makers ID mark ).
There are no maker markings on the hardware or on the wood of the legs, and my best guess is that
it is a Eastman brand tripod, but none of the images I dig up online and on eBay seem to match the
leg hardware.
I'd like to restore it to a usable condition by making the top plate so if anyone here has a complete
one I'd love to have the top plate diameter measurement, as well as maybe some images of the
upper hinges.

Merg Ross
11-Jul-2010, 14:27
Jim, I used to own one, it was my first tripod. There is a small pic of me with it on my website. For a better look of the tripod, check out "Crown Type" tripods on the Glennview site; scroll down near the bottom and you will see some good pics. I recall that mine had burgundy colored felt on the top. Kodak made a similar tripod, but I believe that you have the "Crown". Take a look.

Merg

goamules
11-Jul-2010, 18:17
I've got this exact tripod. I'll see if mine has any marks. But it's not a Crown.

Merg Ross
11-Jul-2010, 20:21
I've got this exact tripod. I'll see if mine has any marks. But it's not a Crown.

Jim, you now know what it is "not". However, the images to which I directed you will show the connection of the legs; simply angle brackets with pins. If you plan on using this in the field or otherwise, you may want to fabricate something to keep the legs from expanding. I mention this because there are no leg-locks, however I always found the spikes sufficient in the field. My work from 1953 to 1957 was with this tripod.

www.mergross.com

Jim C.
11-Jul-2010, 22:26
Merg - Thanks for the lead on Glennview, those look exactly like the one's I have,
so I now know they're Crown legs. Unfortunately the image of the top plate isn't
a link so it's back to looking for better reference for the top plate.
Seeing that the Glennview legs are loose and he's not selling the top plate with
the legs I guess the Crown tripod had some assembly required before using ?

And yes I realize there are no leg locks, I purchased a Arri wood tripod off a fellow member
and it doesn't have leg locks, well it has a sorta leg lock which is a set of chains which I may
duplicate for the Crown.

goamules - if you do indeed have the exact same tripod I would be appreciative if
you could supply me with the top plate diameter and some pictures of the brackets.

Louis Pacilla
21-Jul-2010, 14:31
Hi Jim

Your tripod legs were Designed & made by Rochester optical Co "Combination tripod". Bought out by Eastman Kodak (Same makers as the Crown tripod).The name came from the fact that it folds & slides together to make easily portable .

The Combination tripod is Much the same as crown as far as stability & function go. Came in sizes like crown. I think or would guess yours is a #2 or 3 as these were the sizes for WP - 10x12 . I have a #3 leg set that came w/ my WP ROC Premo View camera .

Most of my tripods are Crown tripods. The only Combination tripodI have is a #3 ROC that came w/ the Premo View Camera which has a brass bed turntable so no Platform w/ the my combination legs.

I do know the Crown platforms are #1 - 5 1/2" the # 2 & 3 - 6" & the 4 & 5 are 6 1/2" Not much difference really. The difference is mostly in the leg set.

The Combination platform diameters are as follows. The #2 - 5" & the #3 is 5 3/4".

The hard part is getting the hardware for the legs to attach to the platform. If your missing the platform you may want to look for a poor condition Crown or Combination tripod on eBay for the platform hardware. I had to do this before & sorry I have no spares.

I changed the legs on my WP Premo to a Crown set mostly because the wood matched better. That left me w/ the # 3 combination leg set. I used the crown platform hardware that came Crown leg set I used w/ the Premo view. so I switched tripods.

I added the hardware from that platform to #2 F&S crown tilt top to make the set in photos of my Scovill Waterberry 8x10 camera. I don't know if any of this chatter helps but I hope so.

Also sorry I don't have any more specific photos of the Combination tripod. These photos the best I can do for now. Can & will take close ups of hardware if you think it will help. If you don't have a Tripods of this vintage it may help. Let me know & I will make close up snaps tonight & post them for you.

BTW- I found all this info w/ Google search. Check Camera Eccentric Information section". Go to Eastman1927 Professional Photographic Catalog . Scroll down way down to Pg.38

Peace
Louis

goamules
21-Jul-2010, 15:08
Here is a pic of the top hardware. Mine has no maker's mark but does have a patent date and "No. 2". If you make your hadware like the originals, there is no way for the legs to come off the pins, the small lip holds them against the pin. You have to put the legs on the pins by laying them flat against the baseplate, then rotate into position.

On the other style, the cherry Crowns, some of them say Folmer Schwing, some Folmer Graflex, some Folmer Graflex Eastman.

eddie
22-Jul-2010, 02:48
there is usually a small metal "flap" on the top of the legs that serve to keep the legs on the tripod round plate. they make it so you can not squeeze them and remove from the pins in garrett's photo above.

you can see the little "flap" on the top outside edge of the leg in the below photo.

here is (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=54595&highlight=crown)a photo you can enlarge.

goamules
22-Jul-2010, 06:57
No flap brace is needed in the light colored type of tripod. If you have the right top.

Jim C.
22-Jul-2010, 16:29
Louis, Garrett you guys rule !

Lots of good info and images to get me going, especially the link to Camera Eccentric.
The catalog reproductions make IDing by picture a little hard, but the measurements
help a lot along with photo's you guys posted.
Looks like the legs I have are indeed from a # 2 1/2 Combination tripod, measurements
from the 1927 catalog and the legs I have seem to to be spot on.

Louis - chatter on, it's great to read about what you did, the top plate hinges look
easy enough to fabricate from brass, I'll probably bend my own hardware rather
than wait to see if something comes up on the bay or here.
I have enough odd parts that I don't need !

I assume that the top plate is either .75" or .625" thick ?

goamules
12-Apr-2014, 19:21
What do you use when a Crown No. 4 is too small, and a two-post Century stand it too big? Use the Eastman Professional tripod! I'd never seen one of these until I bought this today. What a monster, it makes the Crown 4, usually the largest you see, look tiny. With an 11 1/2 inch table head, it's suitable for storing small children, aquariums, or your 11x14 camera! Surprisingly light and compact folded too. Lower right is a No. 4 for scale.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3677/13810958943_cac6977175_o.jpg

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/img/info/kodak_3/kodak_3_28.jpg
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/