PDA

View Full Version : I need another perspective

Jennifer Ickes
10-Jul-2010, 21:05
This is a photo I've always loved from the moment I saw the negative. I think it flows really well and I love where the focus falls. Everything about it. The problem is that it's a picture of my husband. I wonder if I'm seeing it more emotionally than anything. I wonder if it's too simple to stand out if for example, I submitted it to a competition. What do you guys think?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/123830753_d2fddcbbb6.jpg

mrwestphal
11-Jul-2010, 07:31
I kinda like it as no matter where in the image you look, the eyes keep drawing you back.
Nice job!

phaedrus
11-Jul-2010, 15:17
No, it is not only the emotional link to your husband, though that shows through. It's good on it's own, it has one of these interestingly and slightly out-of-balance things going on. what with the focus and the arrangement of image parts. Nicely out of whack!

Lachlan 717
11-Jul-2010, 16:04
Nice shot, Jennifer!

Have you checked the placement of your subject against The Golden Rule grid? I think that his nose and his left eye might fit the model!

iml
12-Jul-2010, 02:36
It's good. A nice direct portrait, with a strong gaze, and interesting off-centre composition.

neil poulsen
12-Jul-2010, 03:14
It's a strong composition.

The input I would offer is that there was not enough info (hair, etc.) for me to determine if the subject was male or female. In fact, upon first viewing, I assumed the individual was female. Maybe the same pose with a collared shirt might have made a difference in this regard.

Was this photographed in 4x5 or 8x10?

sly
12-Jul-2010, 17:18
I don't need the hair or a collar to tell me it's a guy. There's a hint of 5:00 shadow. Why would it matter anyway? I like photos where the gender is obscure. Then it's about the person, not your assumptions about the person.

I really like the composition, the powerful eyes make this photo, and the unusual composition lifts it from the ordinary.

msk2193
12-Jul-2010, 22:25
Jennifer,

I played with the image a bit, and kind of like the image cropped on the top and right to eliminate the bit of hair on the top and his left side-burn.

jp
14-Jul-2010, 07:15
The neck of the shirt is a composition element; don't change it for the sake of clarity. The texture of the shirt is a good contrast from the face texture. The lighting and composition is great.

Jennifer Ickes
28-Jul-2010, 16:24
It was shot with 4x5. I actually asked him to wear that shirt. I really liked it on him & I love how the texture turned out in the photo.

Thanks for all of your feedback!

Dan Baumbach
29-Jul-2010, 07:56
Beautiful intimate portrait. I think your familiarity with the subject shows and that adds a lot to the image.