PDA

View Full Version : Free Jobo ATL Processor: Should I bite?

Pawlowski6132
3-Jul-2010, 20:18
I don't know anything about these and, I'm sure there are different models but, as a simple b/w guy, can I really use this?

Daniel Stone
3-Jul-2010, 20:57
parts are getting harder to find, most people who already have one(or two, or three ;)), are buying them to use for parts.

when they work, they work well. But if you have any reservations of any sort, why chance it?

besides, if you already have a steady means of processing, and get repeatable and likable results, why change?

just my $.02

-Dan

Greg Blank
4-Jul-2010, 04:17
Which ATL?

I don't know anything about these and, I'm sure there are different models but, as a simple b/w guy, can I really use this?

ic-racer
4-Jul-2010, 07:47
If you don't want it...were is it located?

Jim C.
4-Jul-2010, 08:20
If it's free I say grab it, and get to know it and use it, if you decide it's not for you there are quite a few people that will be willing to take it off your hands.

tlitody
4-Jul-2010, 19:25
I'd check which model it is first. A 1000 or 1500 and I'd snap it up quick. If its one of the bigger ones then I'd have that too but they are big and take up space and have plenty of plubming to maintain. But if its in good condition its worth quite a bit.

IanMazursky
5-Jul-2010, 13:28
Any of the older ATL 1,2,3's should probably be avoided. Parts and service are really hard to get.
The 2x00 series are the current models and are worth picking up. They are much better and a few people still have parts.
I have the 2200 and i love it, especially for processing my 12x20 negs.
The 1000 and 1500 are the small desktop/portable models that are also great. If you are only interested in processing smaller formats ie. 4x5 and roll film, they are perfect.

Greg Blank
6-Jul-2010, 15:47
Hello Ian;

I am sorry to disagree, the ATL one is probably the most difficult, but the 2 & 3 there are probably many out there and salvage parts should be easy to get simply by buying or obtaining a second machine. Omega Brandess who I work for PT, we have a refurbed 2 that I rebult and I have several ATL 3 processors in various states. I also have a lot of Jobo parts and can get those not in Omega's inventory from another source.

There are several people around the country that do repairs. I ahve thought from time to time that if I had enough business I could offer onsite repairs if someone was willing to pay the plane fare, put me up for a day or weekend and contribute a bit in terms of hourly pay.

The 2X00 and up series are more complex, if something does go wrong finding a tech that can fix them I think boils down to maybe 3 people at best, and I am one.

Any of the older ATL 1,2,3's should probably be avoided. Parts and service are really hard to get.
The 2x00 series are the current models and are worth picking up. They are much better and a few people still have parts.
I have the 2200 and i love it, especially for processing my 12x20 negs.
The 1000 and 1500 are the small desktop/portable models that are also great. If you are only interested in processing smaller formats ie. 4x5 and roll film, they are perfect.

bob carnie
7-Jul-2010, 06:33
Hello Greg

I am sorry but I tend to agree with Ian.
I have owned and still own Alt Jobo's. They have done a wonderful job for us, but we are finding it extremely difficult to continue with them.

A factory trained technician for Jobo is on site, He went to the plant in Michigan and Europe.
We are finding it extremely difficult to find good parts, and even with a great tech on hand replacing parts are getting more and more difficult.

To this end we have designed, and are building right now two systems with tempering baths to replace my Alt 1 that is on its last legs.
All our parts, are off the shelf North American parts and though I will no longer have the luxury of auto lift and auto fill, we feel the need to move away from Jobo process is critical for our future film processing.

When we finish the machine we will post images of our system.

Hello Ian;

I am sorry to disagree, the ATL one is probably the most difficult, but the 2 & 3 there are probably many out there and salvage parts should be easy to get simply by buying or obtaining a second machine. Omega Brandess who I work for PT, we have a refurbed 2 that I rebult and I have several ATL 3 processors in various states. I also have a lot of Jobo parts and can get those not in Omega's inventory from another source.

There are several people around the country that do repairs. I ahve thought from time to time that if I had enough business I could offer onsite repairs if someone was willing to pay the plane fare, put me up for a day or weekend and contribute a bit in terms of hourly pay.

The 2X00 and up series are more complex, if something does go wrong finding a tech that can fix them I think boils down to maybe 3 people at best, and I am one.

Greg Blank
7-Jul-2010, 16:17
Bob;

You have an ATL 1 which I said was difficult to get parts for. The days of finding dealers that stock parts is long gone. I think I will be able to get parts for some time. Anyone that needs parts if they don't know part numbers can PM me send me jpegs of what is needed and I'll check my resources.

As a photographer, I think we all need an open ind if we wish to continue processing film so being diverse is good I'll be interested in seeing waht your creation looks like!

Hello Greg

I am sorry but I tend to agree with Ian.
I have owned and still own Alt Jobo's. They have done a wonderful job for us, but we are finding it extremely difficult to continue with them.

A factory trained technician for Jobo is on site, He went to the plant in Michigan and Europe.
We are finding it extremely difficult to find good parts, and even with a great tech on hand replacing parts are getting more and more difficult.

To this end we have designed, and are building right now two systems with tempering baths to replace my Alt 1 that is on its last legs.
All our parts, are off the shelf North American parts and though I will no longer have the luxury of auto lift and auto fill, we feel the need to move away from Jobo process is critical for our future film processing.

When we finish the machine we will post images of our system.

bob carnie
8-Jul-2010, 06:58
Hi Greg

It ain't going to be pretty , but so far it looks to be very good option, as I have no choice , I need to keep on processing and I am hooked on single shot rotary processing.

Bob;

You have an ATL 1 which I said was difficult to get parts for. The days of finding dealers that stock parts is long gone. I think I will be able to get parts for some time. Anyone that needs parts if they don't know part numbers can PM me send me jpegs of what is needed and I'll check my resources.

As a photographer, I think we all need an open ind if we wish to continue processing film so being diverse is good I'll be interested in seeing waht your creation looks like!