PDA

View Full Version : Print Washing

Pawlowski6132
3-Jul-2010, 12:54
I'm going to buy some FB paper next week. I've always used RC. Can someone recommend a good way to wash these prints outside of getting a dedicated print washer which, I may buy in the near future?

ps
Anyone planning on listing a print washer in the near future?

thanx,

Joe

konakoa
3-Jul-2010, 13:30
Plain old trays. I don't put more than two prints in a tray as any more than that and the prints stick together. Hypo clear the prints first, then place them in a tray of water with the prints facing back to back. One hour in the tray, and I try to dump and refill the water completely every ten minutes. Squeegee and dry.

Rick A
3-Jul-2010, 13:53
I do two 5 minute soaks then HCA then four more 5 min soaks, then test for clear. If it tests out clear they go to a print dryer, if not, two more 5 min soaks, and retest.

Pawlowski6132
3-Jul-2010, 19:19
I do two 5 minute soaks then HCA then four more 5 min soaks, then test for clear. If it tests out clear they go to a print dryer, if not, two more 5 min soaks, and retest.

Test for clear?

BTW, thank you for your time to respond to me so far - both members.

Joe

Wow, an hour????

:o

MIke Sherck
3-Jul-2010, 20:02
I've washed fiber paper for years in trays; I have a stool next to the sink and wash six to eight at a time in an extra-deep tray, shuffling through the stack of paper often, say, one pass per minute or minute and a half. First is the hypo clear, then a wash. The water is running in a slow stream, enough to fill the tray in about five minutes. Every five minutes or so I empty the tray and let it start over. The papers usually test clear after twenty minutes or so and I wash for half an hour, just to be sure. My water is softened; it takes longer in hard water than it does in soft.

Mike

Daniel Stone
3-Jul-2010, 21:01
trays work well, if you have the space.

vertical washers are very convenient, but if you're not churning out lots of prints in a session, then a large tray in the bath(with a hose to the faucet leading into the tray) can work very nicely. If you have expensive water prices in your area, do the "soak and dump" method. Use HCA beforehand, it shortens your wash time considerably.

Don't give up on fiber, many of my friends and fellow students at school don't use fiber any more because it "takes more time, longer exposures, etc...". When they see how I print the same neg of theirs on fiber paper(their paper too :p), they ask me how I did it... my response: "just like rc, just a little more time" :).

-Dan

Greg Blank
4-Jul-2010, 04:29
I have a 20x24 washer that I use when
many prints are being washed. It uses less water for the hour so it works well when keeping heavy wet prints would be an issue.

I learned a while back not wash the tests and the prints that were not perfect. So for smaller sessions I tray wash, with HCA you won't need a full hour- just follow the HCA instructions closely for tray and you'll be fine. I find I can handle about five 16x20 prints in a 20x24 try.

I'm going to buy some FB paper next week. I've always used RC. Can someone recommend a good way to wash these prints outside of getting a dedicated print washer which, I may buy in the near future?

ps
Anyone planning on listing a print washer in the near future?

thanx,

Joe