PDA

View Full Version : durst 138

David Woods
28-Jun-2010, 21:17
I am thinking of buying my first large format enlarger, it comes with the following, would that be enough to get me going?

regards
David
1x Durst 138 enlarger with manual and condenser combinations and companion lenses lest.

It also has a turret style lens mount, which allows you to mount 3 lens at one time. And switch between them by simply rotating the turret.

Durst Latico condensers x6 (Durst Latico condensers are of high quality because they were made of out optical quality 'water-white' glass.)

2x 240

1x180

1x160

1x130

1x85

Lens x3

150mm f5.6 Schneider-Kreuznach Durst Componon 150mm f5.6 (8300201)

50mm f3.5 Astron (83063)

210mm f9 Rodenstock Apo-Gerogon (needs a ring adaptor to fit lens board)

3 Various Lens boards

Note: The timer in the picture is not part of the sale

This is a very reluctant sale,but due to family circumstances I have to let my beloved Durst 138 enlarger go.

The Durst 138 enlarger quality is legendary and it is most stable and sharpest enlarger I've ever use, it has never, ever let me down.

It has the best set of Latico condensers I have come across for some time, six in all and I also have a list of condenser combinations and companion lenses.

Although the Durst 138 enlarger can print negatives that are 7 x 5 inches in size, I have successfully printed pin sharp prints from negatives from 35mm to 2 ¼ sq to 4 x5 inch. It has taken me some time to acquire the lens mount (the Latub) for the 35mm but I found one in the end and it works fine

Paul Ewins
28-Jun-2010, 21:53
David, you will need a timer of some sort, but they aren't hard to find or expensive. I'm not sure, but it does sound like it has all the required condensors which are the expensive to source part of a 138. The ad doesn't mention a neg carrier, but it looks like there is one in the ebay photo. It would pay to ask about that since they can be expensive.

The 150 lens will be fine for 4x5, the 210 for 5x7. The 50/3.5 Astron is for 35mm and should probably be replaced with a 50/2.8 Componon-S (or similar) if you intend printing from 35mm. If you want to print from Medium Format then a 80mm (6x6) or 90-105mm (6x7/6x9) would be a good investment although the 150mm could be used initially. There is a whole heap of Durst jargon that specifies which part is appropriate for which enlarger. I think that Lapla lensboards work with the Tripla three lens turret on the 138. These are the same boards used on the L1200. I believe that some of the smaller Durst enlargers use similar, but smaller, boards so it pays to know what to look for.

ic-racer
28-Jun-2010, 22:30
Seems like a good setup.

BTW there are currently TEN Durst 138/s45 enlargers on US ebay.

dsphotog
28-Jun-2010, 23:03
I think the light bulbs are getting kinda rare, so ask if there are any spares.
Another thing to consider, location, location, location, is if it's close enough to pick up in person. Shipping/packing might be costly.

David Silva
Modesto,Ca

David Woods
29-Jun-2010, 00:41
Thanks for all the info, I curently have a durst 35 colour, with a Rodenstock 50mm and a 80mm Rodenstock for my 6x6, I am hoping I can use my timer from this enlarger, he tells me it has all the neg carriers, up to and including the 5x7, I am only buying it has I have a Toyo deluxe 5x7, that I got on ebay for $100 5 years ago, and I decided to start using it recently, didn't know what I was missing,and I thought what a waste not being able to print them myself, the enlarger is in Melbourne, but I work in a interstate transport company, so the pick up and delivery will cost nothing. But the worst part is the wife is buying it for me, for my birthday, and has said I can't use it until my birthday in October.

Regards
David

Paul Ewins
29-Jun-2010, 01:06
It sounds like you would be all set. There shouldn't be any problem using your existing timer.

dsphotog
29-Jun-2010, 01:42
Happy birthday! Until then, shoot a bunch of 5x7 negs, so you'll be ready to print!

John Powers
29-Jun-2010, 03:09
But the worst part is the wife is buying it for me, for my birthday, and has said I can't use it until my birthday in October.

Regards
David

My wife teaches first grade here in the states. The families of many spoiled children believe in celebrating half birthdays, every six months, as another way of indulging the child. I don't know if this is enough to get you where you want to go, but it might be a negotiating point. Tell her you will only use the 5x7 part until October. You will even postpone your nonexistent plans to buy a 4x5. It is all about getting agreement. It doesn't have to make sense.

Enjoy the 138 enlarger. I have had one for several years and it really is a good model.

John

36cm2
29-Jun-2010, 03:45
Don't worry about the bulbs being rare. It originally used large opal bulbs, if I recall correctly, which I was never able to find. But you can use a couple of different replacement bulbs that are relatively inexpensive and will work just fine. Dursts are great. Make sure you have enough ceiling clearance where you're putting it. This model is very tall. Also, if you are dismantling it for transport, run a search on APUG regarding how to dismantle it safely. If you take it apart with the column under tension, the backlash can cause injury.

David Woods
29-Jun-2010, 04:04
I just don't think she will let me use it, I bought her a kx pentax for her birthday, and I made the mistake then of not giving it to her until the day, she uses digital I still can't bring myself to using digital.

How tall are they I thought about 5 foot, am I wrong, I have 9 foot ceilings.

David

36cm2
29-Jun-2010, 05:07
Taller than 5. I'm guessing that with the head fully raised, it's top is a little more than 7 feet high. You should be fine with 9 ft ceilings. My darkroom is in a basement and I couldn't fit mine correctly when I had one.

dentkimterry
29-Jun-2010, 06:03
I just bought one of these a few weeks ago. Traveled 150 miles to Chicago to get it. It was fairly complete except I had to find an additional 240 condenser for 5x7 use. It came with 4 opal bulbs, 2 200 watt and 2 300 watt! It stands 82 inches tall and will work good in my 7 ft 6 in basement darkroom when I get it built. I would like to find some of the negative masks for it. I found a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 that I am having S K Grimes machine out to 6 x 17. Also looking for some of the larger LAPLA lens boards and a heat filter LACALO.

Terry

Jerry Bodine
29-Jun-2010, 11:00
It is all about getting agreement. It doesn't have to make sense.

It's also known as politics! Tread softly, John :D :D :D

Chay59
30-Jun-2010, 08:01
I'm just arriving on this forum.
If 138 is a very good machine, there's a best one and eralier: The Durst G139.
The Head is the 138 one, but the bottom comme directly from the Durst 184 enlarger.
The stability is extraordinary and you can use the most heavy vacuum tray (I french, I don't know the exact name in english).
You can visit my blog :materielphoto.over-blog.com/enlargeur (3articles)to see what I mean.

Chay59
30-Jun-2010, 08:05
The Head is the 138 one, but the bottom come directly from the Durst 184 enlarger.
The stability is extraordinary and you can use the most heavy vacuum tray (I am french, I don't know the exact name in english). And you just have to change the head to a 20x25 enlarger.
You can visit my blog :materielphoto.over-blog.com/enlargeur (3articles)to see what I mean.

Chay59
30-Jun-2010, 08:06
The Head is the 138 one, but the bottom come directly from the Durst 184 enlarger.
The stability is extraordinary and you can use the most heavy vacuum tray (I am french, I don't know the exact name in english). And you just have to change the head to have 20x25 enlarger.

Drew Wiley
30-Jun-2010, 13:22
These are easy machines to adapt new heads to, whether cold light heads or colorheads. The older condenser heads can also be modified to new kinds of bulbs and
diffusion. Great system. If the replacement head turn out to be lighter, you just need to counterbalance the spring weight, or else retension it (trickier).

John Powers
30-Jun-2010, 16:05
My 138 is a cold light conversion adapted to 8x10 negative use. My darkroom ceiling is 7' 2". I keep the 12x12" cold light down one inch from the ceiling and adjust the table height as needed. Printing full frame I can make 20x24" prints using a 300mm lens, a 20x24" Saunders/LPL easel, and still have more room to move the table down. It is a very versatile enlarger.

John

David Woods
30-Jun-2010, 20:09
I never realised how big this unit is, unfortunatley my daughter has left home, so it looks like her room will have a new tenant, at present I use our ensuite, and have to unpack and repack all the time, I will post the photo's of the enlarger if I win it.
Thanks for everyone's advice.

David

Drew Wiley
1-Jul-2010, 08:56
Me too, John - I have one Durst 138 chassis converted to an 8x10 cold light, and can
easily handle 20x24 prints with a 305 Apo-Nikkor lens. The other chassis is used with a
4x5/5x7 colorhead. My 8X10 color enlarger is a beast, however, in a room with a high
ceiling, so I can make 30X40's with it. But at one time I had the 138 set up with an
intense colorhead and setting on tracks on the floor to use as a horizontal enlarger,
and I could make 30x40 color prints in a relatively small room. The head pivots, as we
all know.

Allen in Montreal
1-Jul-2010, 09:04
The guys on this forum helped me locate my 138s and get it all setup,
I love it, it is a great unit.

I have found the original Durst bulb, at 300 watts, too power for most my printing and have switched to PH212 bulbs, at 150 watts. perhaps you can find the 240v equiv. to a PH212. I keep a few 211 and 213 just incase for certain negs where I need more or less beef from the lamp.

Durst Pro makes a diffusion plate that goes into the condensers, in theory a great item, but mine does not fit and I have never used it.

One of the very best single tips I got from the Gents here was to ground the unit directly to a good ground point. Buy some proper grounding wire and get that done sooner rather than later.

Enjoy, it is a brilliantly made unit.

David Woods
1-Jul-2010, 14:41
Thanks Allen

Donald Miller
1-Jul-2010, 19:04
I converted my 138 S to different lamp. I use a 1200 watt halogen with an arc length of 3/8 inch. This necessitated the design of a beam focusing reflector. This configuration gives me the high contrast and extreme sharpness that I use in some of my printing. For other applications I simply add diffusion between the lamp and the condensers.

John Powers
2-Jul-2010, 04:20
If you get a Durst 138S enlarger, this auction or another source, read through this site. http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/library.html. Durst-Pro-USA is the US distributor. In their library you will find the manual for this or other enlargers, information about lamps, lamp installation kits and many other useful pieces of downloadable information. Good luck and welcome to the group of happy users.

John

Allen in Montreal
2-Jul-2010, 05:41
I converted my 138 S to different lamp. I use a 1200 watt halogen with an arc length of 3/8 inch. This necessitated the design of a beam focusing reflector. This configuration gives me the high contrast and extreme sharpness that I use in some of my printing. For other applications I simply add diffusion between the lamp and the condensers.

Donald, Are you using the durst pro diffusion plate?
Mine does not fit, could you post a jpeg of how you mount it for us?

The extreme sharpness of the halogen lamp is intriguing but I just see how I could manage that much light, what type of printing are you doing with that set up?