the rest of the work can be seen at my website
www.rohanhutchinson.com

rohan hutchinson
24-Jun-2010, 19:40
also critique is welcome

D. Bryant
24-Jun-2010, 20:13
also critique is welcome

Not much of a critique, but very cool I say.

Don

Scott Walker
24-Jun-2010, 22:12
also critique is welcome

Ok, left to right

#1 Love it, well composed and well executed

#2 Not so much, I really like the image but way to much blank foreground for my taste.

#3 Started out great & then I realised 75% of the image was blank foreground and sky (I thought it was a panorama at first glance and really liked it)

I had a look at your web site (very nice by the way) and found your other minimalist work to be the same, it just appeared to me that you were trying too hard to emphasise the minimalist theme by adding unnecessary foreground and sky when the image in the middle was ok on it's own.

So you asked for the critique......don't blame me for having a stupid opinion

rohan hutchinson
25-Jun-2010, 18:48
thanks scott for the coments, as i said all critique is welcome.
with the minimalism in the shots i was working with kenya hara ideology of white, which represents emptiness and perfection in in Japanese culture, with white's only existence is when something is introduced, yet once something is introduced there is chaos, so the only way of trying to maintain this chaos is using simplicity and linear forms. So the work is basically about setting the viewer into somewhat of a relaxed state amongst a harsh enviroment. that was with the panoramic shot that you commented on, with the other shot my research in hokkaido was looking at constraints in building parameters both geographically and economically, and how this alters the aesthetics and longevity of permanent structures placed into the enviromnet, so the reason i shot them like i did was to leave as little room for abstraction as possible. the areas documneted were central residential, industrial, and rural. also thats on the comments I also think the first shot is stronger