PDA

View Full Version : Shipping LF gear?

Scott --
22-Jun-2010, 12:31
Hi, all -

My 8x10 Seneca Improved projectis kind of in a holding pattern. Everything (except refinishing the bed, which is likely to wait a while) is done and ready. The bellows are coming along famously. I've sourced some recently-expired Arista.EDU Ultra 100 in 8x10.

Now, here's the rub: I have a roadtrip coming up quick, just me and the kids. Our current route is taking us through Virginia and along the Blue Ridge Parkway in NC. Across Tennessee and Arkansas, and through north Texas. We're renting a ride, but only one-way, opting to fly on the way back (my wife is concerned for my sanity right about now). Logistically, it's gonna be a nightmare handling the 8x10, assuming the bellows are done in time, but I'm willing to do it.

So, I'd entertain hearing experiences of shipping gear, 'cause there's no way I'm checking an 8x10 and Ries. I'll likely just bring extra boxes and film bags and hold off on developing (I was going to bring the Uniroller and HC-110, but that seems pointless if we're flying back).

What'chall think?

Oh, and considering we're going to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway, I'm seriously considering some 8x10 color print film. OMG.

Scott

Ron Marshall
22-Jun-2010, 13:42
I always ship camera gear by USPS or UPS double boxed. Never had a problem.

UPS charged a bit extra to pack it themselves, which was required for it to be insurable.

ethics_gradient
22-Jun-2010, 14:46
Hi, all -
So, I'd entertain hearing experiences of shipping gear, 'cause there's no way I'm checking an 8x10 and Ries. I'll likely just bring extra boxes and film bags and hold off on developing (I was going to bring the Uniroller and HC-110, but that seems pointless if we're flying back).

I wanted that film :mad:

Dunno how much other baggage you're planning on packing, but per FAA regulations, photographers get an extra carry-on for equipment. Personally, I'd rather check it than ship it if I had the space; I don't think airline baggage handlers are any rougher than the treatment you'll get at the hands of USPS, UPS, et al. As far as theft, it would take a real set of brass balls to nick an 8x10 field camera and think it would go unnoticed, either at your end or theirs.

If I didn't have the space, I'd ship clothing home (lighter) and keep the camera in my baggage.

cdholden
22-Jun-2010, 15:55
I would suggest shipping it via USPS/UPS/FedEx, just for the pure simplicity of not having to deal with airline policies and extra baggage. Make sure to cover it with insurance to recuperate all of your expense if lost.
Like your wife, I'm concerned about your sanity. That 5 hour drive between Nashville and Little Rock is a long and boring one, without much appealing scenery (in my opinion). Be prepared for an endurance match of "I Spy" or schedule to drive that leg of the trip when the kids are asleep.
Also, make sure each child is equipped with their own sidearm before entering Memphis city limits. :)

Scott --
22-Jun-2010, 16:56
I'm tempted to double box it, insure it for $1000 and let Priority Mail have its way. But I'm not sure what the easiest, safest thing is. Maybe Pack-N-Ship. :rolleyes: Thanks for your thoughts.

Chris, we'll be loaded for bear - DVD, books, GameCube, DS, iPods, you name it. Didn't know that about Mephis, though. Planning on hitting the zoo and (maybe) Graceland...

Riverman
22-Jun-2010, 18:56
In December I shipped my 4x5 and 3 lenses in a Peli 1510 with no external packaging from DC to Yosemite and back with Fedex outbound and UPS homebound (both ground). No probs with either. Will do the same happily on my next far flung photo trip.

msk2193
22-Jun-2010, 21:23
Scott, if you are leaving from the DFW airport, I can be of help getting the camera packaged and back to you. Our warehouse is a few miles from the airport and UPS comes by 2x day. They ship my equipment for most of my travels.
We have plenty of boxes and peanuts laying around!

tgtaylor
22-Jun-2010, 22:06
You can also bubble wrap the camera in a big ball placed snugly around the camera and put it in a solid cardboard box making sure that it can't move around inside.

Rick A
23-Jun-2010, 03:18
I have had good luck with both my LF's traveling via USPS, so that should pose no problems. I've taken the route you are talking about several times in my life, in both directions. Its my wifes favorite road trip from here in Pa. to her dads in Texas. There is a shorter route, and its interesting in its own right, but cannot hold a candle to the BR Parkway. Dont hesitate to get off the main hiway and explore, its worth the s l o w ride.

Enjoy the excursion, and the time with the kids --they'll be grown before you know it.

jp
23-Jun-2010, 07:35
Mail/UPS/Fedex your film back too. No sense in risking it to curious TSA folks who might want to open it in addition to the normal xraying.

Scott --
23-Jun-2010, 07:43
Well, thanks for the input, everyone. I'm seriously bummed, though: From here to Dallas, a one-way rental, with return fee and gas, totals around $1200 (!!!). Not an option, especially considering we have plenty of free airfare saved up on Southwest. So, I have to decide if I want to carry on the 8x10, ship the film down ahead of time, and deal with the airlines. As an aside, though, I think we're also going to plan a road trip to Michigan this summer to visit my mom, who lives on a bluff over Lake Michigan, within easy distance of several famous lighthouses. That'll be a drive-both-ways situation, though not nearly as interesting.

jp
23-Jun-2010, 08:13
If you're really set on driving, check with a friend in the used car business to see if they need drivers between those locations, ala Vanishing Point.

Darren H
23-Jun-2010, 08:35
FedEx or UPS.

Should be no problem for a FedEx Kinkos to box and ship your camera equipment. For sure do that with the film as air travel with film is a PITA. I will FedEx film both ways when I fly as it sure makes the TSA line and baggage restricitons easier.

Have a great trip.

rguinter
23-Jun-2010, 09:38
I wanted that film :mad:

Dunno how much other baggage you're planning on packing, but per FAA regulations, photographers get an extra carry-on for equipment. Personally, I'd rather check it than ship it if I had the space; I don't think airline baggage handlers are any rougher than the treatment you'll get at the hands of USPS, UPS, et al. As far as theft, it would take a real set of brass balls to nick an 8x10 field camera and think it would go unnoticed, either at your end or theirs.

If I didn't have the space, I'd ship clothing home (lighter) and keep the camera in my baggage.

I just came back from a business trip to Quebec City. I don't do 8x10 any more so I can't help with the logistics of size there. But for my 4x5 Tachihara, 4-lenses including a 400-mm tele, and two Sinar rollfilm backs, I packed it all in my vintage Samsonite engineer's briefcase with bubble-wrap and carried it on.

No real worries there. But be prepared to open it all up and have them swipe everything inside at security even after it goes through the scanner. They do that to me always... especially when I carry my assortment of MF panoramic cameras in a backpack. Stuff I left behind on this trip so I could focus on 4x5.

Film I sent through the scanner both ways and hoped for the best. So far no problems. Work clothing I shipped a week ahead of time via FedEx.

Cheers. Bob G.

eddie
2-Jul-2010, 03:59
shipping is very easy and not that expensive if you are not going far.

i have been checking my cameras inside the plan boxed and padded into a suit case. no problems. even overseas. my problem is over weight bags going overseas.

i have also carried many cameras on board with me. an 8x10 century will carry on very easily. (see my response here (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=604500&postcount=14))

if you use mail only go with priority mail. you can have it shipped to any post office for you to pick up. "poste restant" do not pick a far away small post office (like Zion....i waited extra for my camera to show up in Zion).

enjoy and keep us posted.

eddie