PDA

View Full Version : A question about forum guidelines

Marko
18-Jun-2010, 17:18
Would someone please like to explain what would be the proper mechanism for requesting clarification of certain portions of Forum Guidelines, or, more specifically, the criteria for their implementation?

Thank you,

Marko

Sal Santamaura
18-Jun-2010, 17:22
Try the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. What's troubling you Marko?

Marko
18-Jun-2010, 17:36
Before I get to that, I would like to have a clear and unambiguous explanation of the officially approved way to communicate any concerns or ask questions I might have with the powers-that-be so that I don't break any rules in the process and so that there is no misunderstanding about anybody's intentions.

Thanks for asking, Sal. :)

P.S. I'm posing this question in public because it might be useful to others too.

PenGun
19-Jun-2010, 13:59
Heat ... but no light at all.

If you want official input for your problem I imagine you would simply follow Sal's suggestion. As you don't want to do that ... well it implies a larger agenda.

I am baffled.

Peter Mounier
19-Jun-2010, 17:40
If you click on the "Guidelines" link at the top of the page, then scroll to the bottom of the resulting page, there is a link to the moderators "en masse".
That would be the way I'd try to ask for clarification of a rule. It probably leads to the same place as does Sal's suggestion.

Peter

Sal Santamaura
19-Jun-2010, 22:18
...It probably leads to the same place as does Sal's suggestion...Yup. Both go to:

largeformatphotography.info/forum/sendmessage.php

Marko
19-Jun-2010, 23:33
I am baffled.

No need to be baffled, it's all very simple. Since neither the FAQ nor the Guidelines mention anything about it, and since this is the official Feedback thread, I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks for the tip guys.

PenGun
20-Jun-2010, 01:12
No need to be baffled, it's all very simple. Since neither the FAQ nor the Guidelines mention anything about it, and since this is the official Feedback thread, I thought this would be a good place to ask.

Thanks for the tip guys.

I'm sorry. I thought that if you wanted to talk to moderators you would just send them a message. Why that might be a problem escapes me.

I'm still not sure what "it" is though. I'm old and slow as I'm sure you realize ... indulge me.

Marko
20-Jun-2010, 08:29
I'm sorry. I thought that if you wanted to talk to moderators you would just send them a message. Why that might be a problem escapes me.

I'm still not sure what "it" is though. I'm old and slow as I'm sure you realize ... indulge me.

The first step toward getting answers is knowing how to ask questions. That's all this was about and you guys provided an obvious tip.

The problem itself is another matter altogether which I do not wish to discuss in public because that would get me banned. I would prefer to leave on my own when that time comes.

Speaking of which, there is no obvious option anywhere for unsubscribing from the forum and neither the FAQ nor the guidelines mention anything about it. Perhaps it wasn't planned as a possibility ;) or maybe I'm just missing it?

Sal Santamaura
20-Jun-2010, 09:17
...there is no obvious option anywhere for unsubscribing from the forum and neither the FAQ nor the guidelines mention anything about it...What do you mean by "unsubscribing?" Are you referring to an RSS feed? Or? I am unaware of any other way to "subscribe" to this forum.

Marko
20-Jun-2010, 09:30
What do you mean by "unsubscribing?" Are you referring to an RSS feed? Or? I am unaware of any other way to "subscribe" to this forum.

What I mean is canceling membership.

The same outcome as getting banned permanently, only in the opposite direction, so to speak.

Surely there must be a way for a member to do that on his/her own?

PenGun
20-Jun-2010, 11:13
What I mean is canceling membership.

The same outcome as getting banned permanently, only in the opposite direction, so to speak.

Surely there must be a way for a member to do that on his/her own?
If they can perma ban you they can delete your account.

Perhaps you can get them to do that.

If I were sick of the place and it's inhabitants I'd leave and never return. The fact that you have not done that speaks to a wider agenda. You started this thread for reasons that are still not clear to me, or perhaps anyone here.

Marko
20-Jun-2010, 12:07
Let's not jump into conclusions, shall we? If you think there is more to it than meets the eye but you don't know what it could be, it is likely because you were not meant to know. Or perhaps there is nothing more to it. Either way, prodding is totally useless.

But I have to disappoint you - there is no conspiracy and there is no agenda.

All I am doing at this point is asking simple and straightforward questions in the hope of getting equally straightforward answers. Whether I decide to leave or not depends on the kind of answers I get. Or not get, for that matter.

Whatever the case, I certainly hope there is a better and more civilized way than the honky-tonk way. ;)

Sal Santamaura
20-Jun-2010, 12:33
What I mean is canceling membership...The same outcome as getting banned permanently, only in the opposite direction, so to speak...I suspect the moderators are able to do that. It's simply a matter of "unregistering" you. There's a long history here, following the precedent set when we were part of LUSENET, that copyright to you posts is yours. Therefore, if you wish to not only end your registration but also have all your existing posts deleted, you can advise them of that too and they'll take them down. I don't know whether vBulletin software has changed, but seem to recall that the latter action is a manual, post-by-post process which would take much longer to complete.

...I certainly hope there is a better and more civilized way than the honky-tonk way. ;)???

PenGun
20-Jun-2010, 13:21
You just fire up phpmyadmin, or it's equivalent and delete whoever from the data base. It's quick and easy. You are a web guy you should know that.

You may be looking for something more formal though. A divorce perhaps.

Marko
20-Jun-2010, 13:29
Thanks for the explanation, Sal. I'll have that in mind. Sounds a bit clunky, could've been done with a button-click, but I guess when it comes to that it doesn't matter, it's a one-off type of thing by its nature anyway.

???

A honky-tonk way of taking an exit is to cause trouble to get thrown out - walk up to the bouncer and slap him across the face, or something along those lines...

Sal Santamaura
20-Jun-2010, 13:57
...A honky-tonk way of taking an exit is to cause trouble to get thrown out - walk up to the bouncer and slap him across the face, or something along those lines...No need to do that in this case. In fact, unless you want your posts deleted, I don't know what is gained by "unregistering." At the User Control Panel (reached via "My Settings" at the top of the page), edit your email/PM settings to disallow those mechanisms. Then, don't post any more. Functionally equivalent to not being registered.

Marko
20-Jun-2010, 14:51
You should've been a moderator, Sal. You're really good at this. :)

Unregistering, as opposed to simply going inactive, is that one's name is removed from the Members list in general, not just from the Active Members list. IOW, it removes one's name from the database itself, as PenGun pointed out.

It would be the same as being banished from the site, only in the opposite direction, as I said above. In comparison, going inactive would be the equivalent of being suspended - nothing changes except the activity.

The implications are very different and that's probably why this kind of decision is usually removed from the user (or at least strongly discouraged). ;)

Lachlan 717
20-Jun-2010, 15:16
Marko,

Whilst I'm not saying you're going to leave, I'd be disappointed if you did, especially if your 2500-odd posts go with you.

Within those posts there is some very valuable information. And I'm sure there's plenty more from where it came!

From a purely selfish standing, I'd hate to see you go (if, in fact, that's even a consideration for you!!)

Frank Petronio
20-Jun-2010, 15:26
I like Marko but I think we all ought to suffer the same "Google-my-name-and-find-embarassing-things" consequences ;-) The Internet nerd elite shouldn't be able to "massage" their history!

And believe me, when it comes to embarrassing things online... where are those nakeed pictures of me?

Lachlan 717
20-Jun-2010, 15:38
And believe me, when it comes to embarrassing things online... where are those nakeed pictures of me?

Why does my internet filter STILL let those come through..?

imagedowser
26-Jun-2010, 09:57
PenGun, Marko couldn't have been more clear or mannerly. Are you bored? ...or just naturally think everything is "about you"?

PenGun
26-Jun-2010, 10:25
PenGun, Marko couldn't have been more clear or mannerly. Are you bored? ...or just naturally think everything is "about you"?

Do you have any idea what he is talking about? Insulting me just makes me smile BTW.

Brian Ellis
26-Jun-2010, 10:31
Do you have any idea what he is talking about? Insulting me just makes me smile BTW.

I don't have any idea what he's talking about. But why should I care? And why should you?

PenGun
26-Jun-2010, 10:58
I don't have any idea what he's talking about. But why should I care? And why should you?

It's a public forum. He posted here. I am always getting in scrapes 'cause of my insatiable curiosity. I am the Elephant's Child ... eh.

http://www.classicreader.com/book/899/1/