PDA

View Full Version : 5 custom contact printing frames in 5 years

MenacingTourist
17-Jun-2010, 10:17
I started this project just before moving 2500 miles cross country for a new job and a house that need a ton of renovations (including a darkroom). This week I dug out the box of parts and got to work.

The wood for 4 of the frames is white oak and mystery mahogany and one with maple and mystery mahogany. I call it mystery mahogany because it was salvaged from a crate that was shipped from the pacific rim. I'm not sure exactly what it is but it was just too nice to throw away.

All joints are dovetailed and the finish is 4 coats of hand rubbed "witches brew". I seem to remember a Dan Pelland who used red felt on his frames and I've used it on mine as well. Dan's frames were things of beauty and very inspiring.

Print sizes are 8x10, 5x7, 4x5, and 6.5cm x 9cm (single and triptych). I have Mike Ware's cyanotype and argyrotype solutions mixed and ready to coat. If you need me I'll be in the darkroom...

Alan.

PViapiano
17-Jun-2010, 22:26
Beautiful...enjoy them for the rest of your life!

Rick A
18-Jun-2010, 04:26
Very nicely executed. It appears my old hand planes have found a home where they will be loved and, best of all, used.

MenacingTourist
19-Jun-2010, 09:16
Thanks guys.
Rick, I didn't need to use your old plane on these but I did while replacing part of a window sash on my house a few weeks ago.

Alan.

eddie
19-Jun-2010, 09:31
nice! i want them....:)

you still on the right coast?

Rick A
19-Jun-2010, 11:24
I'm just happy they will see action. Iwas getting depressed that they were doomed to sit o my shelf and gather rust. Not a fitting life for proper good tools.