PDA

View Full Version : Lee Lens Shade adjustment

jonnyc
15-Jun-2010, 22:30
What is the proper procedure for adjusting my Lee lens shade ? am I to extend it until vignetting occurs and then retract until the vignetting disappears ? this seems like the only way but feels a little seat of the pants. I'm afraid I may miss the vignetting in the corners and ruin some of my shots, I don't see any markings on the shade but maybe i'm missing something.

Is there a better way ?

As a side note for anyone in the market for a Lee system it appears Robert White is one of the only retailers easily accessible in North America offering the Universal shade capable of attaching the 105mm polarizer. It seems as though the available Hoods in North America which are capable of taking the 105mm polarizer ring are only offered in wide angle format I don't shoot WA so it took me a while to figure this all out hopefully it can help someone else in the future.

Heroique
15-Jun-2010, 23:01
I like the compendium design of Lee’s hoods.

To confirm the hood is out of the way, I set the taking aperture and peer through each of the four cut corners of my GG. If you see this or that corner getting in the way, you can re-position it independently of the others. Very useful if your movements are unique, or the sun is shining from an odd angle.

jonnyc
15-Jun-2010, 23:18
I do appreciate the ability to independently position each corner. It seems easier to get the actual hood out of the shot than to avoid vignetting. How do you go about ensuring there is no darkening in the corners ?

Joanna Carter
16-Jun-2010, 00:31
To confirm the hood is out of the way, I set the taking aperture and peer through each of the four cut corners of my GG. If you see this or that corner getting in the way, you can re-position it independently of the others. Very useful if your movements are unique, or the sun is shining from an odd angle.
Indeed, that is what the cut corners on the GG are there for. Just to be different, I find it easier to look through the stopped down lens, towards the GG, to ensure I can see all four corners. I just find it easier than the other way around :)

darr
17-Jun-2010, 05:45
Indeed, that is what the cut corners on the GG are there for. Just to be different, I find it easier to look through the stopped down lens, towards the GG, to ensure I can see all four corners. I just find it easier than the other way around :)

You are unique Joanna and thank you for all your wisdom!!

Darr

Rui Morais de Sousa
18-Jun-2010, 13:53
The corners are there for that, as the others mentioned, but also to allow the easy compression of the cameras by leting the air out (or in) and so facilitate its movements, packing, etc.
By the way: checking the four corners is not only valid for the Lee hood, but also for any other hood make, or masks, etc. I also use the Lee hood in my Gandolfis, but do exactly the same with the Sinar kompendium. It is a very good habit to ALWAYS check the four corners prior to picture taking, as it allows you to control the possibility of any vignetting due to lens coverage, excessive movements, bellows position or hanging, and the above mentioned hood. I always do it as a ROUTINE. As Joanna very well pointed out, you also can do it from the lens side. For me it depends on the position of the camera, that is, what is easier to acomplish. Both are efficient.
Greetings,
Rui
AL-MOST-LY PHOTOGRAPHY (http://ruimoraisdesousa.blogspot.com/)