PDA

View Full Version : CompnTemp - Compensating Developing Timer

D. Bryant
14-Jun-2010, 15:48
Hi folks,

I think I'm on the verge of purchasing Curt Palm's CompnTemp software package.

http://curtpalm.com/Software2.html

Has anyone on this forum used this product. Is it worth the trouble and expense?

I know it's highly endorsed by Alan Ross who makes a clamp for the temperature probe. I gave up trying to find a Zone VI Temperature Compensating timer.

CompnTemp may even be more versatle. Can it be used to monitor temps for film developing? I would guess probably not.

Thanks,

Don Bryant

swmcl
14-Jun-2010, 16:32
Hi Don,

I'm in the process of building a development machine - complete with whirring motors and temperature monitoring. I can give you some advice that measuring temperature to any resolution like even 0.5 C would not be reliable with an off the shelf USB temp sensor. I have my doubts about the ability to read the temp acurately from such a device.

Cheers,

Steve

wager123
14-Jun-2010, 16:36
hi Don
i purchused the compntemp after useing it at a week long workshop with alan ross. its the best money i have spent. works like a charm in my dark room in south Ga. the temp all ready is in the high ninties and my darkroom is hard too get below 75 so it is used every day or two . Great product
mitch

D. Bryant
14-Jun-2010, 17:09
hi Don
i purchused the compntemp after useing it at a week long workshop with alan ross. its the best money i have spent. works like a charm in my dark room in south Ga. the temp all ready is in the high ninties and my darkroom is hard too get below 75 so it is used every day or two . Great product
mitch

Well I'm in N. GA so I know what you mean about a hot darkroom. Thanks for the information. I may have some questions for you later.

Don

D. Bryant
14-Jun-2010, 19:53
Hi Don,

I'm in the process of building a development machine - complete with whirring motors and temperature monitoring. I can give you some advice that measuring temperature to any resolution like even 0.5 C would not be reliable with an off the shelf USB temp sensor. I have my doubts about the ability to read the temp acurately from such a device.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve what kind of sensor should I be using with Curt's software? For our application +/- 1F would probably be okay I think.

What kind of machine are you building, BTW?

Don

Curt Palm
14-Jun-2010, 21:15
Hi Don,

Cheers,

Steve

here are the specs for the GoTemp probe, the probe used with the CompnTemp software, from the Vernier website ( http://www.vernier.com/go/gotemp.html )

Technical Specifications

* USB Specification: 1.1
* Range: -20°C to 110°C
* Maximum temperature that the sensor can tolerate without damage: 130°C
* Resolution: 0.07°C
* Accuracy: ± 0.5°C
* Response time: 4 s (to 90% of full reading in water)

--------------------

D. Bryant
14-Jun-2010, 21:40
CompnTemp may even be more versatle. Can it be used to monitor temps for film developing? I would guess probably not.

It pays to read the documentation, looks like it can be adopted for film development.

Don

wager123
15-Jun-2010, 04:18
don
that all i use it for is film as i did at alans. i put ruby lith over the laptop screen and have a couple pices left i can send you if you end up getting curts product.
mitch

Bill Burk
16-Jun-2010, 18:05
Hi Don,

I can't say enough how great it's been using the CompnTemp. I put Amberlith over the monitor and hung a swinging blackout cardboard in front of it. Curt programmed a starting chime for me so it can be used in total darkness to tray process film. I lose track of the minutes so I found that I can set the number of sheets and a second between sheets gives me 5 bells at the end.

I used to have to run a coil of hose through an ice chest and trickle water into my sink to hold 68* exactly. Now I can (in winter), run the tempering water around 75* and chill/heat the tray to 68*, start the time and it may drift a few degrees over the course of developing but I don't have to closely monitor water temperature anymore.

It's so great to be able to "wipe out" the variability of time and temperature.

Bill

Disclosure: This is my own opinion of a product I purchased with my own money. I also bought a clamp from Alan Ross which is well-made and better-suited to purpose than the c-clamps I tried to jerry-rig at first.

ic-racer
18-Jun-2010, 09:40
If you developer is at a steady state temp. then you just need a thermometer and the publushed Ilford time-temp compensation chart to figure out your time.

D. Bryant
18-Jun-2010, 14:34
don
that all i use it for is film as i did at alans. i put ruby lith over the laptop screen and have a couple pices left i can send you if you end up getting curts product.
mitch

Thanks for the offer mitch but I've go plenty o ruby lith.

Don

D. Bryant
18-Jun-2010, 14:37
Hi Don,

I can't say enough how great it's been using the CompnTemp. I put Amberlith over the monitor and hung a swinging blackout cardboard in front of it. Curt programmed a starting chime for me so it can be used in total darkness to tray process film. I lose track of the minutes so I found that I can set the number of sheets and a second between sheets gives me 5 bells at the end.

I used to have to run a coil of hose through an ice chest and trickle water into my sink to hold 68* exactly. Now I can (in winter), run the tempering water around 75* and chill/heat the tray to 68*, start the time and it may drift a few degrees over the course of developing but I don't have to closely monitor water temperature anymore.

It's so great to be able to "wipe out" the variability of time and temperature.

Bill

Disclosure: This is my own opinion of a product I purchased with my own money. I also bought a clamp from Alan Ross which is well-made and better-suited to purpose than the c-clamps I tried to jerry-rig at first.

Glad to hear the endorsement of Alan's clamp. I thought I would try to make my own but after thinking about it for a second I figured I'd waste more than $25 worth of my time trying to make my own.

Now to find a top hat washer.

Don

P.S Oh yeah is any one using a USB foot switch. Now I do figure I can adapt an old USB mouse to a regular foot switch.

Bill Burk
19-Jun-2010, 00:06
Hi IC-Racer,

Your point is well-taken, a steady temperature is all you really need.

But it is liberating to be able to work with drifting tray temperatures, I find that darkroom setup is faster because I am spending less time stabilizing water temp.

Bill

Another accessory I use is a Radio Shack soldering iron holder to toss the probe into when not in use. It also holds the probe under the faucet to check the running temperature.

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Jun-2010, 15:28
The CompnTemp is great and I highly recommend it. Alan Ross and I did a review in View Camera a year or so ago and I cannot say enough good things about it, both for film and paper development. Get the probe clamp that Alan makes and Curt is great to work with, you already know he is a member of this site and he will answer any questions about his product.

ic-racer
20-Jun-2010, 08:35
Hi IC-Racer,

Your point is well-taken, a steady temperature is all you really need.

But it is liberating to be able to work with drifting tray temperatures, I find that darkroom setup is faster because I am spending less time stabilizing water temp.

Bill

Another accessory I use is a Radio Shack soldering iron holder to toss the probe into when not in use. It also holds the probe under the faucet to check the running temperature.

If the software actually integrates the area under the time/temp curve to get the correct time in non-steady state conditions that would be a very nice tool to have.

J D Clark
20-Jun-2010, 10:06
FYI, there's a Zone VI Compensating Developing Timer (not mine) up for auction right now. This is somewhat off topic, however, the timer is such a nice tool that I want everyone to have one that wants one!

I like the idea of the software version, however it requires one step that I'm not ready to take: moving my computer into my darkroom...

John Clark

Bill Burk
20-Jun-2010, 22:07
If the software actually integrates the area under the time/temp curve to get the correct time in non-steady state conditions that would be a very nice tool to have.

Exactly what it does.

FYI, there's a Zone VI Compensating Developing Timer (not mine) up for auction right now.

Good luck, hope only one person on this forum wants it. I few of these went out of my reach which led me to CompnTemp

I like the idea of the software version, however it requires one step that I'm not ready to take: moving my computer into my darkroom...

I had a laptop I picked up from a flea market for $2.00 and it's weak enough that I am not tempted to take it down to use for any other purpose. Technically, it is mounted "outside" the dark, so it is not "in" my darkroom.

Bill

p.s. The last Zone VI auction I won was a set of newsletters. Great reading but now I want an integrating enlarger timer with dry-down, print washer, living room converted to mounting/matting/finishing workshop with custom cherry worktables and north light...

D. Bryant
21-Jun-2010, 10:30
FYI, there's a Zone VI Compensating Developing Timer (not mine) up for auction right now.

John Clark

Well it sold for over $150.

Don

J D Clark
21-Jun-2010, 12:14
That's considerably less than a few years ago when they were selling used for more than new -- of course, that was after they had been discontinued. At that price, I may have to acquire a spare!

John Clark

D. Bryant
21-Jun-2010, 16:24
That's considerably less than a few years ago when they were selling used for more than new -- of course, that was after they had been discontinued. At that price, I may have to acquire a spare!

John Clark

I'm not to keen on purchasing one any longer. If it dies it can't be easily or cost effectively repaired.

When my Heathkit darkroom timer died I was depressed for weeks. It was a unique product and long out of production. I saw one on e-bay years later and it was snapped up at a hefty price. But I accepted the fact one would never come into my life again. I was so dependent on that timer for B&W print processing I could barley continue working. I finally replaced it with a Gralab 900. Not a complete replacement but it filled the void.

With Curt's product, if my computer dies I can replace it with a cheap used notebook and be back in business with the same functionality.

Don