PDA

View Full Version : Northern California

Katherine Burness
14-Jun-2010, 11:43
Hello everyone,

I am joining this forum because I am getting into a larger format photography. I am already using 120, now I am moving on to 4x5. I prefer alternative processing techniques.

I've got a couple of friends here already, but do not be shy and say hi... I am always interested in meeting people who doing cool stuff.

Cheers,

Kat

dsphotog
14-Jun-2010, 16:28
Welcome Kat!!
What part of NorCal?
I'm in Modesto. We have a group in town.... www.photocollective.org

Happy shooting!
David & Kathy Silva

Atul Mohidekar
14-Jun-2010, 17:22
I am always interested in meeting people who doing cool stuff.

Hi Katherine,

I could point you to another large format photography group in N. CA (in the Bay Area), but I will wait for your response to David's question about your location.

Regards,

// Atul

Vaughn
14-Jun-2010, 17:54
Welcome!

Yes -- where (approx) are you? Some of us this far north consider the SF Bay Area to be Central Coastal California ;)

Vaughn in Humboldt County

Jon Shiu
14-Jun-2010, 18:40
Welcome and good to hear that people are still interested in the traditional/alternative processes.

Jon

Vick Vickery
14-Jun-2010, 20:33
Welcome to group therepy, Katherine. :) Quite a few folks around here are into alternative processes, though I get the impression that most of them use 8x10 and larger cameras; but 4x5 is always a good place to start and see if you like the deliberate working style of the LF cameras...it slows you down and makes you think about what you're doing rather than just shooting off 8 or 10 quick shots in hopes of getting one good one out of the bunch. Hope you enjoy your leap into LF!

Katherine Burness
17-Jun-2010, 13:38
Wow, this is definitely friendly. Thank you guys!!!

I am in San Jose.

I am being trained in wetplate techniques right now using 4x5 plates. I have been fortunate to use larger format 8x10 as well.

Setting up my equipment within the next couple of weeks, and I will be off shooting.

I am interested in knowing your suggestions about groups. Groups are nice, and I already know a bunch of people within 2-3 hours of me who do similar stuff. Let's see if there is someone else, who I am not aware of, in my area.

I joined this forum as well: www.collodion.com

:)

Atul Mohidekar
17-Jun-2010, 20:10
I am in San Jose.

I am interested in knowing your suggestions about groups. Groups are nice, and I already know a bunch of people within 2-3 hours of me who do similar stuff. Let's see if there is someone else, who I am not aware of, in my area.

We have a LF photography group in the Bay Area. See this site for details:
http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/

One of the primary goals of setting up this group was to meet with other LF photographers.

We meet once a month - typically on the third weekend of the month. We have had a lot of fun in the past gatherings and field trips. We have the next meetup, a field trip to Muir Woods National Monument, scheduled this weekend on Saturday June 19th. See the details here:
http://www.meetup.com/SFBayAreaLFers/calendar/13784353/

You can still join the group and make it for the field trip on the weekend.

Regards,

// Atul