PDA

View Full Version : Installing Screen Cezanne

Willem
13-Jun-2010, 05:02
Hi, I just acquired a Screen Cezanne, which came with CG 1—albeit that the box with manuals does not contain the disk, which may be lost. I need to get a disk I assume (or CD in view of the future!).

However, the manual is the Dutch version—which I can read—that has, apparently, been prepared with very poor xeroxes (scans?) of the original illustrations. As a result, the instruction for removing the safety plate is entirely unclear. I have no clue what to do here.

Thanks
Willem

Willem
13-Jun-2010, 06:24
I think I found the position without transport security, meaning that the scanner can be operated. As per these pictures: http://gallery.me.com/smolk#100013

Bob McCarthy
13-Jun-2010, 08:33
Sorry I didn't see your original post until now.

There are two pins on the plate that lock the bed. Remove the plate and invert it so the pins are pointing outward. Position is not important.

Let me take a quick cell phone shot for you.

bob

Willem
13-Jun-2010, 11:20
There are two pins on the plate that lock the bed. Remove the plate and invert it so the pins are pointing outward. Position is not important.
Thanks for your help! My initial assumption, then, was wrong!

So pins pointing outwards, as in your photos = scanner ready for use
pins pointing inward (possible in one position only) = scanner locked for transport.

If so, the seller erroneously put the security plate the wrong way up, namely with the pins pointing outwards. He could not read the instructions either. I drove it home in my car, relatively safely, but there inevitably were bumps on the road.

I cannot yet test it, because ColorGenius claims that another app is using the scanner :confused: . Likewise, Maintenance claims that the scanner is busy (device 1001) :( , so I cannot remove the "Lock Position" of the "Optical Unit" (always hoping it was put on).

Which may be the cause of the scanner being "busy"?

Willem
13-Jun-2010, 11:52
Hmm, I seem to have been able to thwart this by using an old start-up setting (which was invalidated actually). The software started, in any case.

Bob McCarthy
13-Jun-2010, 12:10
Good, its important to have both the server app and scanning app installed. Start the server app first.

Actually fire up the cezanne first.

bob

Willem
14-Jun-2010, 03:56
Yep, made my first scan this morning :) . Yesterday it kept saying the scanner was busy. Only made a scan of a print, I'll work out the details of negative and transparency scanning later.

But out of curiosity:
1. The seller has given me instructions, which include the recommendation to fire up the computer first and then the scanner. My understanding of SCSI devices is that these devices should always be started up before the computer, or am I confusing the fact that you cannot hotswap SCSI-devices with starting up sequences? It's a long time ago I used SCSI!:D

2. The seller also said that an online connection was necessary. He probably meant with ColorGenius Server - but it is on the computer itself, so I do not see the necessity of being online.

3. Is the registration number somewhere included in the preferences of ColorGenius? :cool:

All the best,

Willem

Bob McCarthy
14-Jun-2010, 04:49
You are correct on point 1.

I might mention, the only expensive consumable are the lamps. If you are only scanning film, you can remove the lamps from the under tray (print scanning) and store them safely for the day the upper lamps fail.

I don't know about an online connection being required, although I am set up that way. The old G-4 running the scanner is too slow for editing.

Good question, I will look tonight when I'm at the scanner.

bob

Willem
14-Jun-2010, 07:21
I have the registration number for ColorGenius now, and they will look for the original CD's.

Thanks for the tip about the lamps. I will have a look at that. It's such a shame that I have to travel this evening and won't be home until the end of the month!

I was anxious to establish that it all works, so your help was highly appreciated. I was a bit alarmed that the security lock had not been installed properly during my collection of the scanner, but the machine works. I haven't looked at the lens though. Still too anxious to open it all up I guess!

Peter De Smidt
14-Jun-2010, 08:50
Hi,

You don't need an online connection.

If you're hi-res scans are slow, make sure to max out the memory on the G4. I went from 256m to 1.5 gig, and it made a huge difference in scan times.

Willem
14-Jun-2010, 09:27
There is 756Mb memory.... but frankly, I don't even know the make of the machine. I have become so accustomed to OSX which I've used since version 10.0 that I no longer remember how to find this out in OS9! It was sold to me as a G4 tower. I had one myself in 1999, and it sure looks similar (graphic, I think the name was).

My first scans of B+W negatives in 6 x 4.5cm format are not shattering, however :confused: . In fact, it would seem that scans I made on an Epson 4490 of this format are way better. But I assume that I need to twiddle the settings :o , and properly convert the output from .eps , which Preview may not render ideally.

I have no experience with Photoshop, and it's on the old G4 only (I have to buy a license myself first, but I'm hesitating between Photoshop Elements and the full version. Point is, I already have Aperture 3, I tried CaptureOne and liked it a lot, but I do not want to have 6 different apps!).

Bob McCarthy
14-Jun-2010, 11:14
For hints and tips, Peter has a useful section on his blog.

http://peterdesmidt.com/blog/?cat=1

go here and its nearly at the end of the section

Set preferences to tiff and learn how to use the manual controls especially for DR.

Scan B&W negatives as a positive RGB and invert in your editor. I use 16 bit.

The software allows you to create a calibration routine for your favorite E6 film if you have a calibration slide.

Get the manuals, it will make a world of difference.

You will see no difference if you scan at 1000 dpi, a huge difference the higher you go. At 4000 dpi with a medium format shot, you will be blown away.

Epsons need not apply.

bob

Willem
14-Jun-2010, 16:57
Ha, I inadvertently changed one setting (note: I have no table for the heavy Barco monitor yet, which is a really heavy beast. It's standing on the floor, and I'm appropriately kneeling before it.) That setting was the resolution: 300 dpi.

I now did one at 2000 dpi and it is mind-blowing! (Also my first attempt at a night-shot.)

With the manuals something went wrong: the ColorGenius box contains all sorts of Screen manuals, but for AD-210M (Printer?), DTS Scan Plug In, DT-S1030 (which looks like a drum scanner) etc. Not for the Cezanne. But they do have a Screen Cezanne Training Manual, that was given locally, and which is a help. It does not, however, contain all relevant info. For example, what is the maximum dpi? It's not in there.

On the other hand, that Training Manual is very helpful for a novice at scanning like me. ;)

Peter De Smidt
14-Jun-2010, 18:30
The max spi (samples per inch) in the front to back direction is about 5300 spi, which it'll do over a 1.5" ish strip parallel to the front of the scanner. It's an 8000 element ccd sensor, and that's what limits spi in that direction. Going the other way, from left to right, what controls resolution is the precision of the stepper motors. In this case, those motors allow a very high precision. In the Seybold Report test, they measured up to 5700 spi effective resolution, which was the limit of their ability to test. All that said, there won't be enough info on most films to make such a high resolution worth it.

Willem
15-Jun-2010, 01:56
Thank you Bob and Peter for all the helpful information. I delayed my departure to today, just to be able to play around a little bit more, and I am very satisfied with the results I am getting now—despite my as yet still hopeless technique. But I will work on that.