PDA

View Full Version : Omega D6 8x10 conversion?

natem
12-Jun-2010, 13:48
Hi all,

I'm looking for any knowledge on a conversion system to allow for 8x10 enlargements on an Omega D6. I'm currently using a Dichroic II head.

My "problem" is that I live in Hawaii. My mouth waters over pictures of 8x10 enlargers, but I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to find one that swam out here...

I also understand that there might be better 4x5 enlargers to convert, but finding this D6 was already very lucky out here.

My guess is that I'll need a new head and I'll need to fabricate some way to get the head to attach to the column. And then I'll need to fabricate a new lens stage and grab a larger bellows. The lens stage will have to be able to be repositioned and aligned.

Any help (that doesn't involved hopping states(trust me, I've considered it)) would be greatly appreciated.

-Nate

ic-racer
12-Jun-2010, 15:44
Hmm, I have not seen any thread or pictures of anything like that. The bellows might be a limiting factor even for a wide angle 240mm lens. Perhaps if you keep looking there are some Beselers that could be converted on the Islands

jon.oman
13-Jun-2010, 09:00
How about using an 8x10 view camera as the basis for an enlarger?

Jon

eli
13-Jun-2010, 10:37
Check around for military surplus for a large format enlarger, as well as look for a process camera that you could convert into a enlarger. It may be there are more 8x10s in Hawaii than you imagine.

Bill_1856
13-Jun-2010, 10:54
I thought that the only reason for shooting 8x10 was so they could be contact printed on AZO or LODIMA.

civich
13-Jun-2010, 11:40
Nate,
Don't give up trying to find a 8x10 enlarger. Be pro-active. List an add in the various island craigs lists such as: ?? 8x10 enlarger ??. You might be surprised. Also call the individual professors of photography at the various colleges and universities - they might have an unused enlarger just waiting for an inquiry from someone such as yourself - or they may know someone who does. Of the three 8x10 enlargers which I found here on the mainland two were in the hands of professors who just couldn't bring themselves to junk them. Good luck!
-Chris

vinny
13-Jun-2010, 11:46
there was a guy selling home made conversion heads for beselers on ebay a year or so ago. I asked him about one for an omega D2 but he didn't have one made. It was a simple setup and I think you can find pics either here somewhere as I know some members bought his conversion. I asked him what the light source was but he was very vague on that, I think they were cfl's though. Maybe you can get his contact info if a member speaks up.

natem
13-Jun-2010, 11:55
Thanks for the info, everyone.

I've started a very active hunt and already found one, Zone VI 8x10 enlarger. The seller just wants more money than I currently have, but it is promising that I can get my hands on one even if it means waiting a little longer. I'll continue to search from other sources.

I guess, for now, I'll wait on converting my enlarger or using an 8x10 camera to build up an enlarger.

Thanks again!

natem
13-Jun-2010, 11:58
there was a guy selling home made conversion heads for beselers on ebay a year or so ago. I asked him about one for an omega D2 but he didn't have one made. It was a simple setup and I think you can find pics either here somewhere as I know some members bought his conversion. I asked him what the light source was but he was very vague on that, I think they were cfl's though. Maybe you can get his contact info if a member speaks up.

Interesting. In my local search I have found a couple Beselers that might be worth buying with the intention of converting. Especially if they're easier to do. I'll look into this as well.

dsphotog
13-Jun-2010, 12:37
Start shooting 8x10 now, that way you have motivation to find the enlarger, (and something to print when you do find one).

ic-racer
16-Jun-2010, 14:29
I thought that the only reason for shooting 8x10 was so they could be contact printed on AZO or LODIMA.

Maybe after enlarging onto 20x24 positive film :D :D