PDA

View Full Version : ambient light meter

Songyun
10-Jun-2010, 09:01
any recommendations? I need a small compact meter.

Sevo
10-Jun-2010, 10:10
Sekonic L-208 or Gossen Digisix, if size matters - I'd recommend the former, as the latter has rather uncomfortable handling and at least some batches had quality issues.

Or any recentish model from the Sekonic L-398 series, or a Weston Master IV/V/Euromaster - either are quite compact, battery-independent, reliable and pretty much the gold standard for incident metering.

Rick Floyd
10-Jun-2010, 10:33
Songyun: If all you need is an ambient reader I highly recommend a Sekonic L-398A Studio Deluxe III or really any variant of that model. I bought mine in 1977 and it still gives me right on the money readings and never had to find a battery in cold weather. It doesn't need batteries. You can get them on line through the usual places and sick-Bay new for 200.

cyrus
10-Jun-2010, 11:54
If you want it to be compact, try a Sekonic L-208 TWINMATE -- doesn't get any more compact than that, and does everything a lightmeter should do!

bvstaples
10-Jun-2010, 12:29
I'll second the Sekonic L-398, I love mine, it's deadly accurate, and I've seen them go for fifty bucks used.

jeroldharter
10-Jun-2010, 12:58
It does get more compact - nothing in new meters is as compact as the Gossen Digisix which is inexpensive new and does a fine job. It is small enough to fit easily in a shirt pocket.

ki6mf
11-Jun-2010, 04:28
I have a Gossen Digiflash. This is the smallest flash/incident meter currently in production. Its much smaller than the Sekonic. I personally like the Sekonic functionality better and would use one in the studio (I also have a 758-DR). The Gossen is smaller and better for carrying around.

tom thomas
13-Jun-2010, 13:37
Songyun, if you are working with an older camera, shutter and lens with speeds of 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, etc rather than 1/30, 1/60, 1/125 you might consider a Zeiss Ikon Ikophot. They date to the 1950's and back, don't need a battery, and will do either ambient or reflected readings. Plus they are classy to carry around.

Here is what they look like with nice leather case,and gold toned snake chair that loops around your wrist. Would also attach to a button on your suit vest but who wears a suit or vest nowadays.

I have one that bridges the generation between 1/25 and 1/30 second. It has both scales, plus EV. I have two others of later generation that include light readings for movie cameras as well. When I lay the three down side by side pointing at the same object, the meter readings are very close to each other and accurate when measured with a later Sekonic.

Most importantly, they are still alive after years of being stored in a drawer. I have several vintage American and Japanese ones that are dead, dead, dead.

They routinely are sold on E-B*** and can be had a reasonable prices. Keep an eye out for the dual range one, you'll be pleased I think.

Songyun
15-Jun-2010, 14:47
Thanks everyone, I will try sekonic or the gossen.

anglophone1
18-Jun-2010, 14:11
I have both a sekonic twinmate and a gossen digiflash , kept with two different kits.
In actual use I find the twinmate faster and easier to use.................
Clive
www.clive-evans.com
Antibes, France