PDA

View Full Version : Focusing

Terry Hull
9-Jun-2010, 16:30
OK my eyes aren't what they used to be, and seems to be reflected in ever so slightly off focus. It could be my ebony SW 45 isn't working right, but I don't think so. I did just change glasses, but wonder if you clearer seeing folks focus with, or without glasses?

Jim Graves
9-Jun-2010, 17:05
I also suffer from "Old Eyes" ... I wear tri-focals.

For focusing I ditch the tri-focals and wear a pair of cheap 1.0 diopter drug store reading glasses with Cabela's 4.0 diopter clip-on/flip-up glasses. Works great ... gets me tight under the dark cloth and close to the GG with the flippers down and with the flippers up I can see what I need to around the camera and gear.

The link to the Cabela glasses (on sale right now for $14.99) is here:Link (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat130011&id=0024296711125a&navCount=1&podId=0024296&parentId=cat130011&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true) ...... (I just ordered another pair)

Joanna Carter
10-Jun-2010, 00:46
I, along with many others, use an adjustable focus 7x loupe. Whether you need glasses as well, depends on whether the adjustment provided by the loupe covers your extra needs.

Even if I didn't wear glasses, I would always use a loupe.

jennym
10-Jun-2010, 05:04
I find a 4X loupe easier for focussing on the GG than a 6X or 7X loupe, but this may just be a personal perference. You might find it helpful to try different loupes.

Terry Hull
11-Jun-2010, 05:40
I use a toyo loup, but problems persist. Thanks for responses!

Doremus Scudder
11-Jun-2010, 13:20
Terry,

You are focusing on an image that is projected onto a ground glass. If what you see is in focus, but the resulting negative is not, there is likely a problem with ground glass/film plane not being the same.

If, on the other hand, you are just having trouble focusing due to loss of near vision with age... well, bite the bullet and start searching for a reading glasses/loupe combination that works for you.

I have a pair of 4.0 diopter glasses that I use under the dark cloth plus an 8x loupe that I use both with and without the glasses. The Cabela's flip-down magnifiers look interesting. I might give them a try.

Again, if you use a magnifying loupe and you are focusing carefully on the ground glass, the corresponding area in the negative should be in focus. Your eyes changing will not make a difference except to make it harder to achieve an acceptable focus.

Hope this helps,

Doremus Scudder

Capocheny
11-Jun-2010, 23:32
Hi Terry,

I've been using one of the Hasselblad Magnifying Hoods with the adjustable diopters. It works well for me but ymmv.

You can find them for a relatively inexpensive price on Fleabay.

Cheers