PDA

View Full Version : Workshops

RPippin
9-Jun-2010, 05:52
Would like to get some input on workshops for film and darkroom work. I live on the east coast and would consider traveling anywhere north or south. I would like to hear of anyones personal experience with the various workshops offered. I could afford one more workshop this year so other folks take on their own experience would be helpful.

R Mann
9-Jun-2010, 06:11
Peters Valley Craft Center in New Jersey - Runs a number of workshops over the weekends during the summer - Rustic setting & affordable rates with top notch instructors - they may have an offering you would be interested in.

bob carnie
9-Jun-2010, 06:49
Anything Bill Schwab is involved with is outstanding, He is one of the most patient and hard working photography teachers I have seen.

Would like to get some input on workshops for film and darkroom work. I live on the east coast and would consider traveling anywhere north or south. I would like to hear of anyones personal experience with the various workshops offered. I could afford one more workshop this year so other folks take on their own experience would be helpful.

RPippin
9-Jun-2010, 08:47
Thanks, just the kind of feedback I was looking for. Took a workshop at Project Basho with Chuck Kelton and found him to be one of the best instructors I've ever met. A real gentleman. He made what was before a difficult thing to get my mind wrapped around very easy to understand. Made a real difference in my darkroom work. Looking for one more workshop to round out what I've already done. I get something of value from everyone who has taken the time to help me out. Thanks

David Karp
9-Jun-2010, 09:33
John Sexton's darkroom workshops are outstanding. I went to one many years ago. The first print I made upon returning was a vast improvement over anything I had done before. (And I was a decent printer before that workshop.)

I have also heard great things about Bruce Barnbaum's workshops. I was told that he was very attentive to the needs of the attendees, and a very good and patient teacher.

Louie Powell
9-Jun-2010, 09:57
Peters Valley Craft Center in New Jersey - Runs a number of workshops over the weekends during the summer - Rustic setting & affordable rates with top notch instructors - they may have an offering you would be interested in.

I have taken many workshops at Peters Valley, and agree fully with this comment. The have a very good teaching darkroom, and the strength of their photography program has always been the combination of fabulous vision/creativity workshops and traditional darkroom sessions.

That said, workshop programs must attract students to survive, so the topics being offered reflect the interest of those who are looking for workshops. My sense is that Peters Valley has responded to the declining popularity of traditional darkroom workshops. Many years ago, they had several sessions that focuses on basic darkroom technique with instructors like Bill Abranowicz, David Vestal and Chuck Kelton. Those have gradually been replaced with workshops in alternative techniques (this year they have sessions in gum bichromate and cyanotype, mercury daguerrotype and Pt/Pd), as well as digital techniques sessions. They still have very strong workshops on seeing and vision, but in recent years these have switched from relying on traditional silver darkroom to digital processing of images.